1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the name O-12 an intentional callback to the Majestic-12 conspiracy theory?

Discussion in 'O-12' started by Hecaton, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

For reference.

I don't really have any evidence to suspect this other than the number 12 (Which I guess is a reference to the 12 bureaus, and possibly the dodekatheon.) But it would fit with the clandestine and conspiratorial nature of the Infinity fluff/background.

2. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

According to the RPG corebook, O-12 refers to the 12 Bureaus that spearhead Concilium (I think there were more, but only those 12 were "critically important").

While there are, certainly, some mythological references (Bureau Hermes, for the Trade one which controls the Circulars, among other things, Athena, or Gaea, which is of Greek Mythology, but not of the dodekatheon but a Titan), there are more than a single one pantheon represented (Bureau Toth, controlling AIs, very likely a reference to the Book of Toth, as source of infinite written knowledge, Ganesha and Lakshmi, Igni), and even things that have nothing to do with it (Bureau Noir, bureau Concilium, etc..).

Furthermore, there are subdivisions within those "primary" Bureaus, as was also mentioned in Bostria's video last week, being of relevance the subdivision of Bureau Aegis between "lawyers" and "Military", of which the Section Statera (military) has an intervention unit, the Spatha, which is the human part of Operation Wildfire.

If you want to look for more "conspiracy theories", then the interesting relevance is 12 being the Bureaus, that coming from 3 and 4, of which 3 always had meaning (several "three-faced" deities, the three headed dog guarding the Hades, past, present and future, etc...) and 4 (the smaller product of self multiplication of a prime number, aside from the unchanging one).

Personally, I like more the numerology angle, since it goes well with all the stuff that goes on, science over myth, the myth in service to humanity (naming certain Bureaus after old deities), and the ages old conspiracy theory, in which the hidden puppeteers would have stablished Concilium as it is: a veto-capable country with absolute control over trade, supressing threats to their power (a single AI, and its "theirs"), and leading humanity's fate to where they thing is best (with they at the helm, of course, since no one is more prepared).

AdmiralJCJF and Hecaton like this.
  3. Ghost_from_warp

Ghost_from_warp Classified

i definitely dont have enough tinfoil for this.

Death, Abydog, Numazokola and 7 others like this.
  4. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

@xagroth My brain went to the dodekatheon, since it seems like some of the bureaus are based on members of it. Plus, it would work well in a sort of Iliad allegory, with different nations squaring off in war (or clandestine activity) and the different bureaus supporting various factions akin to the support the various gods and goddesses gave to mortals in the Trojan War.

I could see them starting with the dodekatheon, and then changing some of the names to not make it so Euro-centric.

Penemue, Deltervees, Section9 and 2 others like this.
  5. Brother Smoke

Brother Smoke Bureau Trimurti Representative

I always assumed it was due to having 12 constituent members, like the G7, but now I realize that makes no sense since there aren't 12 major powers

McNamara, Hecaton and Dragonstriker like this.
  6. McNamara

McNamara Merc Rep

Yepp thought the same. XD

Deltervees likes this.
  7. pgmason

pgmason New Member

I'm pretty sure its the 12 Systems that make up the Human Sphere:

Sol (Earth & colonies)
    Neoterra
    Aconticimento
    Varuna
    Svalarheima
    Shentang
    Yutang
    Bourak
    Dawn
    Concilium
    Paradiso
    Human Edge

McNamara likes this.
  8. Yinsania

Yinsania айхаас хэт галзуурсан

Bostria explained it, 12 are the bureaus that compose O-12

9. Abrilete

Abrilete Well-Known Member

I also thought, since long time ago, that O-12 was named that way because it represented all 12 planets of the Human Sphere.

10. Ghost_from_warp

Ghost_from_warp Classified

Your conspiracy theory might be much deeper.
    CB releases wildfire with plot about shasvasti trying to burn woods around o12 base to smoke them out.
    Two major fire outbreaks in Canada and Siberia starts.

xagroth likes this.
  11. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

We literally know the answer to this.

12. FireFangs

FireFangs Space Oni

It's the illuminati!

They have manipulated the Tohaa Secret Society since the begining into manipulating the CA into manipulating the Human Sphere!

In all seriousness, it's the twelve bureau. It would make sense with the twelve colonized systems of the human sphere, but at the time of O-12 creation, not all systems had been discovered. Dawn itself hadn't been found again. They started with basically just PanO and Yu Jing, Haqqislam and Nomad coming at a later date. Then Ariadna. Earth, the Human Edge, Svalarheima and Paradiso are four systems that don't belong specifically to a faction so they don't really count in the twelve if we go by planet/factions.

13. Maksimas

Maksimas Heavy Infantry Addict Maxim

Might be a bit of a sidetrack, but I didn't know MJ12 was an actual conspiracy theory. Always thought it was just something from Deus Ex.

But hey, if O-12 turns out to be all ''Yeah, we might be a teency weency bit unethical here in our conducts and a bit more shady than the newsreels suggest.'' that's another positive checkmark for them alongside "good HI" and "good support for the HI."

14. cazboab

cazboab Definitely not Cazboaz.

I Imagine like any law enforcement agency they have a high rate of failure in the batteries of their body cameras, unstable steps, and suspects who resist for several minutes after they've been tazed, cuffed, and in some cases rendered unconscious...

Hecaton and Maksimas like this.
  15. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

They aren't a law enforcement agency, though, being excessive in counter-terrorist policing is ISS' forté.

16. Maksimas

If we get to have the excessive approach, I suppose it'd be fair if O-12 can get the corrupt approach.
    Not like the IS is corrupt... they are functioning entirely within the boundaries of the law. They even have judges in power armor partaking in operations, that's like... super legal!

17. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Legality is entirely dependent on what you write into the laws ;)

Point is, for some reason people seem to think O-12 and ISS are cops. As in highway patrol and domestic dispute cops. They aren't. One is a military organisation and about as much police officers as a US Navy Seal and the other is an anti-terror and organised crime para-military organisation that makes FSB and SS look like parking attendants.
    I think the closest thing to cops we have are Moderators - I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

18. Maksimas

Pretty sure Moderators are cops, and the Taskmasters are like the SWAT unit of Bakunin. Taskmasters are pretty awesome TBH.

But yeah, it is a common misconception, since it's easy to relate "lawkeeping" and "beating up terrorists that are also breaking the law."

Mahtamori likes this.
  19. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

Section Spatha is both police and military, with naval assets as well. Gangbusters, Team Sirius, all of them are more LEO than military, while Omegas, Gammas, etc are the opposite.

20. Tourniquet

Tourniquet TJC Tech Support

All of nomads basic infantry are police/security personnel of some description

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation