1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is deployment sequential or simultaneous?

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Hecaton, May 12, 2022.

1. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

So when deploying troopers, is it all at once or one after the other? It's relevant for skills like Infiltration, where you have to roll to place correctly - do you get to try to place them in the spot you want one after the other, or do you have to place all of your infiltrating models (sans reserve) and then roll for them?

DukeofEarl, Tanan and Mahtamori like this.
  2. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Thank you for asking this. I've been wanting a thread for this question for some time now. *updates the unresolved question thread*

Minelayer and a few others are sequential as far as you're logically not allowed to move them once a zone of control has been measured even if other entities may be moved as a result of that measurement (and from examples they can be moved a non-minimal distance)

DukeofEarl likes this.
  3. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

I know it is not an evidence, but we already have skills in game that are rolled when you place the model on the table (Booty, Metachemistry). If that models is deployed as Camo Marker, this may happen quite some time into the game, actually (once they de-Camouflage).

For my meta (again, not any evidence for it being the correct way of doing this), it was always "place the model, roll the die, place another model, roll another die", same with AD-deployed stuff like Netrods. Therefroe, sequential deployment.

This is easier to handle, as you don't have to remeber which one of your many Camo Markers (and consequently troops hidden under these) have already rolled for Infiltration past the table half.

The only argument to do it simultaneously would be realism based (you have ordered oyur infiltrators to take positions, and they are trying to theirs. You won't know if they succeeded until it is all decided), but I have long learned that using the realism argument with Infinity is often counterintuitive.

4. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

???

When you deploy che Camo, you roll for Booty/Metachemistry

Methuselah and Lesh' like this.
  5. Errhile

Hmm. That's interesting.

I mean, rolling Booty tends to imply what troop is under the Camo Marker. The example I have in mind - Bandit - is the sole Booty-capable troop among Corregidor Camo Marker-capable troops (Intruders, Sombras, Bandits and a subset of Moran Massai). And content of a Camo Marker is a Private Information (inc. what weapons does it have, and I see not why weapons rolled out of a Booty Table should be an exception).

On the other hand, getting MON 8-4 can dramatically alter the model's mobility, and is relevant even in Camo state, contrary to other pieces of equipment (like weapons).

As for Metachemistry, I honestly don't know whether there even is a Camo-capable unit with Metachemistry in the game (certainly not in any of my armies, but I play just a handful of them :)).

So, to sum it up, I see your point, @tox - but I remain unconvinced. There are conflicting indications in the rules IMO, and it isn't stated plainly. I believe this also warrants to be put into the rules questions, @Mahtamori .

chromedog likes this.
  6. Iskandar

Iskandar Well-Known Member

This is just wrong. You roll booty when you deploy the rules clearly say as much. There's no conflicting rules

Not model or marker it says trooper when you deploy. Clear as day

Methuselah and Ashtaroth like this.
  7. Errhile

Well, apparently not as clear, sorry.

How do I protect the non-public about a Camo Marker's skill & equipment in that case, then?

8. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

You don't.
    As you are required to declare any skilla Camo marker use, like NCO, Infiltration or Forward Deployment.

The only case where you roll a Booty midgame is Parachutist / Combat Jump.

9. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

You do not, then again the particular combination of irregular, camouflage, infiltration can only be a bandit.

I have played it both ways to test though, it is a big detriment to roll upon reveal, you may get a weapon that would change how you moved the marker in the game drastically.

As far as deployment goes, I think it is sequential, most rules imply this.

Methuselah and Mahtamori like this.
  10. Tanan

Tanan Well-Known Member

Infinity (deployment) rules have always been a mess and have offered opportunities for those who are willing to exploit the shoddy wording for gameplay advantages.

Personally, I would like that all deployment actions were simultaneous. Nothing is rolled or is final, until the last trooper is placed in the "last trooper" phase of the deployment phase. This would end infiltration fishing and exploitative skill declarations.

11. Errhile

I see.
    However, being Irregular can be kept secret as long as I don't spend an Irregular Order on the marker.

Seems Bandit is in a kinda unique position, then: Camo, but not quite... I'd love if CB could do something about it. Just like when they made non-Camo Morans with Repeaters and Camo Morans without them, because, frack, do you blow your Camo if a friendly Hacker hacks through the repeater you carry...? I feel it was a similar corner case...

12. Fed4ykin

Fed4ykin Well-Known Member

The bandit still has full camo. The only thing is that the opponent knows that it is a bandit when you roll for booty.
    The question could be: Is booty an optional skill? do you have to roll for booty or can you decide just not to roll and play without to not project that this camomarker right there is a bandit?
    In the end it is still a bandit which is a very good trooper.

13. Gwynbleidd

Gwynbleidd Non asto coram malo

In the N4 rulebook it’s listed as optional. So unless there’s a faq saying otherwise you can not roll and do not project what the unit is.

Fed4ykin and Errhile like this.
  14. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

I don't think I agree that question would meet sufficient level of uncertainty. I think Tox' take is spot on and that the evidence that the trooper is placed on the table when it is deployed on the table is abundant for Camo which means that simply putting the Bandit's camo marker on the table is enough to merit rolling for Booty.
    Hecaton's question on whether that is as soon as the Marker hits the table or when the player thinks their units are placed and they are done with the phase is already in the question list and has been for over a year (I just added it all quiet-like without a discussion thread, but now I have a thread to reference)

15. Errhile

Indeed, I guess the answers here are making it clear enough for me (and while not exactly what I was used to, @Gwynbleidd 's observation on the Optional nature of Booty allows me to simply forfeit the random bit of kit if I happen to value mindgames more).

16. Hecaton

So Strategic Deployment heavily implies that deployment is sequential. Even still it's not stated explicitly. Would be a good topic for a FAQ/clarification.

upload_2022-5-12_16-51-49.png

17. Hecaton

Still don't have a good update on this, so bumping.

18. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Did you check FAQ 1.3?

During your main part of the Deployment Phase, can you reposition Troopers, Deployables, etc?

Yes, but as soon as you make a Roll, check Coherency, or ZoC, the positions of those Troopers, Deployables etc. are fixed and they cannot be repositioned. For example, you can reposition a Trooper as many times as you want, but after you create a Fireteam and adjust the placement of the Fireteam members during the Coherency Check, you can no longer reposition any member of that Fireteam.​

chromedog and Savnock like this.
  19. Hecaton

Ah ok.

20. Savnock

Savnock Nerfherder

So... effectively sequential?

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation