1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Invalid ZoC ARO declaration

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Icchan, Feb 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Icchan

Icchan Well-Known Member

What happens when a trooper declares a ZoC ARO such as Change Facing but during the Resolution phase it is found that the trooper was not actually in ZoC?
    What if the trooper that triggered the ARO used his seconds short move to come in line of sight, but still stayed outside of ZoC, does the ARO trooper get a new retroactive LoF ARO declaration?

toadchild likes this.
  2. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

The consensus in previous threads is that they'd Idle, due to not fulfilling the Requirements of the Skill.

Dragonstriker, chromedog and Icchan like this.
  3. Wolf

Wolf https://youtube.com/@StudioWatchwolf

Hey, you guys could publish a Warcor FAQ saying exactly that to infuriate Corvus Belli into clarifying it themselves, and then we'd actually know for sure. Just saying. :wink:

FatherKnowsBest likes this.
  4. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

this is IJW your trying to be snarky towards

chromedog likes this.
  5. Icchan

Icchan Well-Known Member

Allright, what about a reverse situation where the enemy IS actually in the ZoC, but the player controlling the ARO troop thinks it's not so does not declare an ARO. The ARO triggering troop comes into LoF with the second short skill so the ARO troop declares BS Attack. When measuring, they notice the enemy was actually in ZoC after the first short skill, so is the BS Attack changed into Idle then?
    I would assume yes.

toadchild likes this.
  6. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

This is a reminder that the ZoC measuring bit (relevant for the Change Facing ARO) is actually in the official FAQ:
    Q: In the reactive turn, when can you measure the Zone of Control?
    A: Following the steps of the Order Expenditure Sequence: you declare a ZoC ARO, and in the step of resolution, is when the players take measurements. So, is troop is in the ZoC, resolve his ARO, but if not, the ARO is lost.​
    unless the debate is about whether there's a function difference between "the ARO is lost" and "you just performed Idle to do nothing".

Finding out that you had a ZoC ARO that you didn't declare and thus your later ARO was invalid should have the same result.

JoKeR, DukeofEarl, Wolf and 2 others like this.
  7. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

There's a difference with regards to mines, however.

8. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

Well, that's not as much a talk about ZoC as it is about Trigger Area?

9. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

That's not the issue Mahtamori is talking about, it's whether a nearby Mine gets set off if you declare a ZoC ARO that turns out not to be valid. If it becomes an Idle then the Mine still goes off, if the ARO is actually cancelled then the Mine is still there.

10. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

I'm suddenly reminded of the discussion thread where someone said that they'd declare Change Facing for a hidden deployment model to get it on the board, because:
    • The FAQ allows you to declare the ARO without any standard for it being anywhere near the ZoC
    • All you need to do is declare the ARO to get out of hidden deployment
    I present that as my reason for why an out-of-range Change Facing ARO shouldn't have any game effects--setting off mines, revealing models, whatever.

If the ARO is invalid, nothing at all should happen because you declared it. The information leakage is unavoidable until pre-measuring is allowed, but otherwise.

Icchan, BLOODGOD and toadchild like this.
  11. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

To be clear, you are advocating for the HD trooper to go back into HD if they are out of ZoC upon measuring, yes?

12. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Essentially, yes, because they were never legally able to leave hidden deployment in the first place.

13. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

Thought so, just wanted to be sure. I agree, for what it's worth (not much, I'm sure).

14. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

We do the same locally. Doesn't make much sense to start allowing illegal ARO declarations to happen.

FatherKnowsBest likes this.
  15. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

I like that house rule, but unfortunately it's not the rules. Probably something CB should look at.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation