1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intelecom roll-off oddity

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Jonno, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Jonno

Jonno Well-Known Member

From Season 10 ITS:
    Before the beginning of the game, but after choosing the Classified Objective, each player must decide if that card will be his Classified Objective or his INTELCOM Card, announcing his decision to his adversary. Each player rolls a die and the one who gets the highest score must make their decision first and inform their adversary. The content of the card, whether the mission, the card numeric value or symbol, is considered Private Information, no matter which use the player has chosen for it.

I find it weird that the roll off here is the opposite to a face-to-face roll, as here the higher number (usually the winner in a face-to-face) actually loses the roll as they have to go first. It seems to be unnecessary complexity that we have to remind each other it's the opposite to every other roll we make in Infinity.

@HellLois as this roll is just a coin flip anyway could we please change it for next season to be the usual face-to-face mechanic and have the lower roll lose and have to declare first?

2. HellLois

HellLois What the Hell...Lois?
    CB Staff

Hi!
    When this rule appears it doesnt needs a roll, but the players ask for a way to select which player goes first in the decision.
    So we add this roll. Ok, maybe is oddity, we can think in a face to face mechanic,against 20, for example? is the same but searching a lower number ^^.if we choose another number you have to remember that number. i think this way, going up or going down is more easy.

The option is use the lieutenant WIP, but when this happend you didnt choose your army list, so you cant. Thats the reason to choose this way to solve it.

You can think that this is an arm roll :P

WarHound, Jonno and Nemo No Name like this.
  3. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

The roll happens before you've chosen a list, so you don't have a Lieutenant to have a value to make a FtF Roll against.

Ninja-loised!

chromedog, Jonno and HellLois like this.
  4. HellLois

HellLois What the Hell...Lois?
    CB Staff

first time! Yeiih!

JoKeR, WarHound and ijw like this.
  5. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

you can make it rock-paper-scissor too.
    i don't follow. you say "the highest loses and goes first" is confusion, needing reminders. but it would be less complex if you think of it as "the highest wins therefore goes first". whoever wins the Lt roll, picks first. whoever wins this faceoff roll, picks first. Same principle (with the difference that you hope to lose that faceoff such that the winner/highest roll gets stuck in declaring first).

What I find in need of constant reminders, is that we have to even make that choice, we often forget lol

Jonno likes this.
  6. Jonno

Jonno Well-Known Member

If I'm reading you correctly, you're saying that you think that whoever gets the highest number should pick first. Picking first is, in my opinion, worse than picking second, so should be considered as losing. Normally in face-to-face rolls the higher number wins, so here the higher number should get to pick second, but in this one exception to that rule the higher number loses. My request is that this face-to-face should use the same mechanics as all other face-to-face rolls.

7. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

Please explain any at all negative consequences caused by making the choice first. What information has the other player gained that will change how they make their decision?

As far as I can tell, it’s just like Robock’s point about winning the Lt roll.

Robock likes this.
  8. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

i'm saying picking first is "winning". you won the FtF, you get to pick first. I agree it is an unfavorable outcome. So you wish you'll roll a 1, but that doesn't mean that rolling a 20 is "losing". the term used could very well be "winning" the roll.

9. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

i thought there were edge cases wher you'd want to pick depending on what the opponent decides to try (if he try for +Pts in a zone where he has troops vs try to secure hvt/whatever the card says). But looking again at the missions, i think +Pts always work better. (except Armory where you cannot add Pts if you got wiped out, and if you wipe out the enemy then there is no reason to use the Pts mode).

10. Jonno

Jonno Well-Known Member

To reiterate, I don't think it's really a big deal, it's just a coin flip and my meta usually just treats it as a face-to-face like normal and we don't have any conflict. My feedback is to help streamline this game as this one face-to-face is the opposite to every other face-to-face in the game.

Maybe my meta is different, but Intelecom is a pretty big decision. An extra point or two from the Classified is very important in missons that can end up close, and getting that 5 point win over the enemy for a major win is the only way to win big tournaments (which is the context I'm discussing this, I don't think it really matter for less competitive play)

Taking Intelecom is declaring that you have a potential 20 points extra in your pocket (an extra Chasseur) which can tip a zone in your favour and turn a loss into a win. Having an unopposed Intelecom choice is therefore a big deal - if you have Intelecom and your opponent doesn't then you don't care if they have the extra point from the Classified, as you're planning on getting a 4-6 point swing by winning a critical zone.

Against an opponent with an unopposed Intelecom you might then feel the need to completely stamp out any troops in the zone, to prevent the extra points from being added. This is mental strain an opponent without this problem doesn't face.

The player picking first is unlikely to get an unopposed Intelecom, as if they take Intelecom the second player is more likely to counter them by also taking it. If the first player does not take Intelecom, they give freedom to the second player to do what they want, which is likely taking the Classified if it's easy, or taking Intelecom if it's higher value.

That means the first player is unlikely to get the same benefit of a high value Intelecom card as the second player, as they are less likely to get it unopposed.

ChoTimberwolf likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation