1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In a foxhole and failing guts, Prone?

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by daboarder, Jul 18, 2018.

1. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

So what happens if a troop in a Foxhole uses its courage to automatically fail its guts roll?

Does it go prone? or does the limitation on not allowing movement prevent them going prone?

@ijw

2. Spleen

Spleen Well-Known Member

I don't think going prone within guts is a movement.

you EITHER move up to 2 inches OR go prone.

Going prone is just entering a state and is not a movement, the model doesn't move at all to do so.

So they would go prone triggering the first cancellation clause on Foxhole

3. daboarder

Warcor

I know we are having this argument on facebook.

But the rule calls out you not being allowed to make any movement.

You cant warning, You cant Change your facing or move if you dodge, You cannot run away if you fail your guts.
    Changing your sillie from and S3 to an S0 is a movement if the miniature, which you are not allowed to do.

4. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Foxhole is a bit weird in that under effects it says you can't declare Move while under cancellation it says you can cancel it by declaring Move.

With this in mind, and with the assumption that it's meant to mean that declaring Move cancels the state, I'd say that strictly mechanically either;
    a) you can declare Move but this forces you to cancel the state, meaning a failed Guts Roll that results in movement or prone would also cancel the state.
    b) you can't declare Move at all rendering the cancellation clause meaningless.
    I'd argue that b) is absurd but the only consistent way of playing it if you want to argue that the Guts Roll won't allow the trooper to cancel state through normal Guts Roll, meaning in absence of FAQ a) is the only reasonable way to play it.

5. daboarder

Warcor

you clearly cant move at all, failing your guts roll in a foxhole, thats very clear that they never get to move in reactive and they cant even pivot.

The argument hinges on if going prone is or is movement, not the skill, not the label, but a movement of the model at all.

6. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Your argument hinges on that Guts Roll movement is not a declaration which also means you're arguing that you can't both move and go prone on failed Guts Roll. As for Prone state itself; going Prone is the result of a skill declaration, and can thus not be one of the skills listed in effects, so however you twist and turn this one I'd say this triggers the cancellation clause. I am arguing that the effects clause is meaningless here due to cancellation clause(s) being triggered.

Humour me; you just spent an order on your Foxholed Moblot HMG and want to reposition it. Can the Moblot cancel the state, and how is this done?

7. cazboab

cazboab Definitely not Cazboaz.

That part is pretty simple and quite specific:
    The player must announce he is cancelling the Foxhole state when declaring the Short Skill Move. By doing so, the state is cancelled at no cost and the trooper can carry out its Move using its regular MOV and S values.

You can't do that in the reactive turn or as part of the guts check, but you can go prone, which is not moving, it's something that you can do as part of a move at no cost.

Also change facing specifically calls out *not* moving as part of it and foxhole says that you're allowed to , so I'd argue that you can rotate via dodge or change facing(both of which you're allowed to do) in a foxhole without canceling the foxhole as well, but the intention might be only to let you avoid attacks...

8. daboarder

Warcor

you cant rotate @ijw has made that clear before

9. Tom McTrouble

Tom McTrouble Well-Known Member

Foxhole: Troopers are not allowed to move in the Reactive Turn, only to dodge the Attack

Guts: If the troop fails its Guts Roll, it must go Prone or move up to 2 inches in order to abandon the danger zone, gain Cover, or improve its Cover against the attack.

Going prone is distinct from moving, at least as per the Guts entry. If you fail Guts, you go prone and foxhole gets canceled.

10. Scooper396

Scooper396 Active Member

Foxhole grants courage, so failing guts is a choice, and in the foxhole rules it states that going prone cancels the foxhole state.

so the way I see it, if you fail the guts (by choice) you can go prone but you lose the foxhole, but obviously, whatever shot you can no longer do that hopefully.

coleslaw, chromedog and inane.imp like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation