1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Impetuous and AROs

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Jam800, Sep 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Jam800

Jam800 Well-Known Member

I may be mistaken but it appears based on RAW that Impetuous moves do not generate AROs on account of them not being classed as an Order.

Is this correct, or am I missing something here...? Or was this always the case in N3 and i just never picked up on it....?

If this is a new distinction to Impetuous, this could make Impetuous troops pretty powerful as they will essentially get a free unimpeded move every turn, albeit with some minor limitations on how they can move and the skills they may use.

2. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

That's a funny joke. Because if you're going to try to pursue that literal reading, then those impetuous activations don't actually do anything at all. Because stop for a moment and ask yourself "How am I activating this trooper, and how do I know how to resolve these skills at all?" without the answer being "I'm using the Order Activation Sequence, acting in all ways as if I was using an order."

m2cat likes this.
  3. Jam800

Jam800 Well-Known Member

Well this is why I'm asking the question as it seems odd and potentially over-powered to me.

However the ARO rule on page 21 states "...a player's Models and Markers can react each time the opponent activates one of his Troopers with an Order".

Conversely Impetuous on page 101 states "During the Turn's Impetuous Phase, the player may activate each Impetuous Trooper once, without spending an Order".

This suggests that there is a distinction between an activation made under an Order in the Orders Phase and an activation made via the automatic Impetuous skill in the Impetuous Phase.

Now I'm more than willing to be proven wrong here but based on RAW then activations using the Impetuous skill in the Impetuous Phase are a loop hole that would bypass the usual ability if ARO generation.

If true it would make those cheap frothing loonie models much more powerful (and scary)

4. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

No, there isn't.

Once again, if you're going to try to claim that you're performing an order, I ask that you explain how the impetuous trooper is resolving those skills. The entire structure for doing so is the Order Expenditure Sequence.

So, congratulations. Your trooper declared the skill combination Move+Shoot and nothing at all happens. Because both resolution of movement and shooting is detailed in the Order Expenditure Sequence, which you don't get to use because you haven't spent an order to activate.

Or, you have to accept the following facts:
    - The rules use the words 'order' both for 'the active player's activation of a trooper (or troopers)' and 'the limited resources used/spent by the active player to activate troopers'.
    - When the rules state that trooper is activated without spending an Order, what it means is that you're activating a trooper (acting like you've spent an order) but you don't pay the normal cost to do so by consuming an order token.

ijw likes this.
  5. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

6. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

And, for what it's worth...

By heaven, Corvus Belli aren't providing a clear set of terminology around the active player activating models with the new impetuous rules. Because on the face of it, the description in the ARO rules:
    "Each time the Active Player activates a Trooper by spending an Order, each eligible enemy gets one single ARO, regardless of the number of Skills the Active Player declares during that Order."
    becomes incorrect when the Active Player can activate troopers in other ways.

They really should have reorganized things to make a better distinction between "resolving an Order" (what in other games might be called an 'activation') and spending order tokens.

inane.imp, Jam800 and Nurambar like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation