1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Impact Template secondary target and Sixth Sense

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Gunmage, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Gunmage

Gunmage General Contact Unit

Today I've run into an difficult rules question. In Reactive Turn, I had two AROers up - a Sin Eater and an Riot Grrl (in full link, so having SSL2). Opponent put up smoke so that LoF from his Al Fasid to Sin Eater was clear, but Riot Grrl was drawing it through the Zero-Vis zone. And then he hit the Sin Eater with HRL so that Riot Grrl was under the template.

His argument was that since the attack wasn't directe at Rion Grrl, she couldn't use her Sixth Sense to react to that Attack without LoF, and so I could only declare Dodge. Is that correct?

2. macfergusson

macfergusson Van Zant is my spirit animal.

If you place a template such that it affects a Reactive unit, that unit has been attacked, whether or not they were the primary target. This is why it is so important that templates are placed when they are DECLARED, not at resolution. Your Riot Grrl should have been able to ARO freely.

Gunmage, inane.imp, colbrook and 4 others like this.
  3. Gunmage

Gunmage General Contact Unit

Thanks, good to know I was right.

4. cobraprime

cobraprime Member

Sixth Sense says "In order to use Sixth Sense L2, the user must be the target of an Attack."

When you use an Impact Template, you select one individual who is the Target of the Attack: "The user of one of these weapons must declare a main valid target, and that target is used as a reference to place the Template."

So the Riot Grrl in the example was not the Target of the attack and thus can't use SSL2.

5. macfergusson

If you place a template such that it affects a Reactive unit, that unit has been attacked, whether or not they were the primary target.

xagroth likes this.
  6. cobraprime

cobraprime Member

While this is true, SSL2 doesn't say that you must be "affected by an attack" it says "the user must be the target of an attack" to use it.

7. macfergusson

Yes, and being templated means you are targeted by an attack.

8. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

while the template rule does make heavy use of "main target" and "affected trooper" it is true that other troopers are still targets, not the primary/main target but target none the less such as in the example titled : "Teardrop Impact Template example. All targets react by Shooting."

xagroth, inane.imp and Hecaton like this.
  9. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

This was confirmed at N3 release time (I don't have a link handy). Despite poor/inconsistent wording, all units under the template are targets of the attack, not just the nominated primary target.

xagroth, Hecaton and Robock like this.
  10. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

@cobraprime Too many of the other rules break down if you don't consider the other people under the template targets as well - the rules use "target" and "affected" more or less interchangeably.

11. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

"The user of one of these weapons must declare a main valid target..."

That txt doesn't say that there is only one target, just that you have to pick a primary target that you use to work out the MODs.

cobraprime, xagroth and inane.imp like this.
  12. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

There's some inconsistency because camo says you can't be targeted while a marker, but templates effectively target all models. The final answer is that you can't pick a camo marker as the primary target, but the presence of a camo marker does not cancel a template.

Hecaton likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation