1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Immunities, freindly fire, and blast templates

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Cannon Fodder, Jun 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder Well-Known Member

Let's say a druze (vet & immune to isolate) is near some enemies. Can I have my e/m grenade hit the group, including the druze that is immune to the grenade effects.

Or does the fact the template hits a friendly make it an illegal attack.

ChoTimberwolf likes this.
  2. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

This.

chromedog, toadchild and ijw like this.
  3. Ginrei

Ginrei Well-Known Member

Smoke feels very similar to this situation. The terminology in this game is so loose, I'd let you do it.

4. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder Well-Known Member

It's a situation where the rule was made to stop people from sacrificing models to meet objectives. But in this situation there is no sacrifice.
    • Black and White rules I think point to no.
    • Spirit of the rules should allow it.
    Just curious if this was discussed before hand and if this was FAQed someplace. There are some abilities that allow friendly fire with templates (explode Lx on itself,and the YJ model that allows missiles to Target it). I think this should be FAQed/rewordered the same way.

Ginrei likes this.
  5. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Yeah, Hector (from Steel Phalanx); back in the day I asked if he could drop a blind grenade to his feet (he was inmunne, thanks to NWI), got answered "you can't affect non-enemy troops with your templates".

Smoke has, since the V1.3 FAQ, had this:
    E/M grenades have a damage value, so...

6. Ginrei

Ginrei Well-Known Member

For all intents and purposes if a trooper is completely immune to an attack, the attack has no dmg value against that trooper.

I'd house rule this and say when a friendly trooper is completely immune to an attack, their presence within the template doesn't negate the attack declaration. Also, the trooper cannot take any other actions or make any rolls, including Guts.

The last line is to prevent anyone trying to abuse this to allow Guts movement in the same way when hit by the enemy.

7. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

They may be immune to the effects of an attack, but they aren’t immune to the attack itself, so the attack would be cancelled for hitting a friendly trooper. If the attack were allowed, they’d still have to roll a BTS save versus the E/M grenade. Now, yes, they’d ignore the Isolated State if they failed the BTS save, but they’d still have to attempt and then fail the save. And having to make that save means the entire attack was updated be cancelled.

Arkhos94, Mahtamori and chromedog like this.
  8. Ginrei

Ginrei Well-Known Member

@A Mão Esquerda, I'm not sure what you're trying to say. It's called a house rule for a reason.

9. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

This is false. The trooper is still making ARM or BTS Rolls, being revealed if they are in a marker state, and needing to make Guts Rolls.

10. A Mão Esquerda

Why make a house rule that flies in the face of the actual rules? You’re adding a layer of (incorrect) complexity that serves no good purpose, and in fact would likely make things actively worse for a player looking to travel out of or into your meta.

11. Diphoration

Diphoration Well-Known Member
    Warcor

In a similar idea, even if your opponent is immune to your ammo type, you may still contest their roll in a face to face.

12. Ginrei

Ginrei Well-Known Member

Because Infinity's rules are far from perfect. Don't we all play this game somewhere in between RAW and RAI already? There are current rules where @ijw or the community has strongly recommended players play differently than what RAW tell us to do. There's the intent debate.

This exception is reasonable. If my group wants to play this way, I will play this way.
    It's not false. I added the word 'completely' immune for a reason. Also, my house rule covers the Guts roll.

But if someone wants to shoot my trooper and it also hits their friendly marker which is immune, I don't think that really changes anything. Do they gain anything else from revealing what that trooper is now and potentially losing their marker state?

13. Ginrei

Ginrei Well-Known Member

Also, I like the idea of my team working together and someone providing an assist with an E/M grenade knowing full well that the trooper nearby is immune. They also have comms to provide a heads up.

14. ijw

Exactly. You added a word which changes how the rules work.

15. Ginrei

Ginrei Well-Known Member

I did no such thing and you're jumping to the wrong conclusions.

I made a statement based on the situation described in this topic. One where the trooper was not in a marker state. The trooper in that situation suffered an attack that presented no danger what so ever. The Guts roll as per below is dependent on the trooper being in some sort of danger.

Guts Roll
    When a troop passes an ARM or BTS Roll, it means their body armor took the brunt of the impact, keeping them from serious injury. This triggers a primal fear of death, and survival instincts kick in. The troop's survival instincts can force them to recoil from danger and dive for cover.
    So while the rules may call for a Guts roll, I don't believe they take into account the actual situation at hand. The fact is the trooper was in no danger and could've also been notified by his ally in advance.

The attack presented no actual danger, thus no reason to dive for cover. That's my definition of completely immune. It's also why I'd be happy to play it as I described in my suggestion.

16. Ginrei

Ginrei Well-Known Member

Lets look at this situation from another angle.

Troopers are allowed to fire non-template weapons at an enemy in CC with an ally. This carries the potential risk of killing an ally trooper instead. I can only think of one reason this is allowed while templates are not. In this situation the trooper making the attack might get it right and their ally will not be hit. However with templates, their ally is automatically hit. So in one situation the ally is potentially at risk and the other it is definitely at risk.

The OPs situation provides no risk, but it does mean the ally is hit. The rules don't account for the actual danger the trooper is in, only whether or not there is a theoretical chance not to hit your ally. That's a technicality as far as I'm concerned.

Troopers are allowed to take those kinds of risks. So surely they should be allowed to throw an E/M grenade and hit a trooper that will not be affected by it.

17. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Rules as written, no you can't. I feel like it'd be more fun if you could, however. Would be a big benefit to Druze and Morats, who both could use a boost.

18. A Mão Esquerda

It would be ENTIRELY too much in character with the “win, PERIOD” philosophy of those two armies, though, entirely too much. After all, bad people wouldn’t do it, but (as the Druze say) they aren’t worse.

xagroth likes this.
  19. Ginrei

Ginrei Well-Known Member

Playing to your strengths is so common.

Night Vision = turn off the lights
    MSV = Smoke the area
    Gas masks = Gas your opponent
    Immune to E/M = E/M your opponent

Unfortunately I can't think of anything other than Anyat's E/M grenades for Morats..

20. ijw

Within the context of the OP asking how the current published rules work, no I'm not jumping to the wrong conclusion.

Phlyk, Robock, BLOODGOD and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation