1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Icarium_Cerberus Yu Jing

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by IcariumVNam, Mar 14, 2018.

1. IcariumVNam

IcariumVNam Well-Known Member

So after filling the fourm with updates of all my old threads, I finally have something new to show.

I have long admired all of the new Yu Jing models, in particular the Wu Ming and Hac Tao. I am also a big Mass Effect fan so combing the two was always an idea in the back of my mind. As I have mentioned in my other threads, I like to challenge myself to master new techniques with each of my colour schemes and for this one I'm attempting my nemesis...White. I have never really mastered painting white and it is a colour I like to include in my paint schemes regularly so it's about time I finally found a technique I'm happy with. To compound the issue my off colour will be yellow. Another difficult colour. I will be using the Cerberus art from Mass Effect for inspiration.

I'm a bit of a contrarian so everyone saying Yu Jing are finished now that they have lost JSA has prompted me to start painting these earlier than I had planned.

The test model was one of the Wu Ming. These guys just look bad ass. My Yu Jing will be made up of predominatly heavy infantry so this will be my core link. The key to painting white appears to be to not use white....I'm pretty happy with this test model, there are a few things I can improve. The yellow was actually more difficult to paint than the white, this is at least partially due to my yellow paint having thickened in the pot through lack of use.

Anyway here he is, the first model in my Yu Jing retribution force. (Having looked at the photos I will take better ones once the next model is finishd).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jashyr

Jashyr Well-Known Member

That is very nice. Loving the subtle shading on both the black and white.

3. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Yikes. That looks so clean, dude. Awesome work!

4. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

It is an overreaction to JSA leaving. CB would't "kill" or "neuter" a faction that badly because of the profits lost. If they did do something like that then there would be hell to pay so to speak.

As for your color scheme I think it looks amazing. Very different from other Yu Jing forces I have seen in my lifetime. I like ti when people do unique color schemes. Do you have the recipe for the Wu Ming in the above pictures? That off-white certainly looks stunning.

5. IcariumVNam

@Golem2God I totally agree on the over reaction to the JSA split. Yu Jing will continue. At the moment I think part of the issue is that they are predominantly faceless miniatures and lack enough of the HI that is supposed to make the faction unique. By starting these now I want to be ready when the IA get released later this year. Although this was supposed to be a small project....

As for the off white. I can give you a receipe but might be easier to do a short tutorial next time I paint a model. I have the helmetless Wu Ming half finished so might be a few weeks until I get something ready to show. Essentially its starting with a dark cream colour, shading with olive green and then blending up gradually to ivory. Pure white is used only for extreme highlights.

@Jashyr Thanks mate, I was concerned from the photos that the black might need a more extreme final highlight but it looks brighter in real life.

@taylor it's clean but by god it takes a long time to paint. White is not forgiving when black lining. Next army is using cheat colours for sure. Whenever I return to my Morats it's unbelievable how much easier it is to paint them.

Golem2God and taylor like this.
  6. IcariumVNam

After another short break I have added to my Yu Jing.

First up my favourite Wu Ming sculpt. It just oozes menace and was ine of the main reasons I started a Yu Jing army. I'm really happy with the face but it was hard to capture in a photo. I really need to get a real camera rather than relying on my phone for pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up is another amazing sculpt, the Garuda. In my opinion Corvus Belli should have created an entire robot faction based on this template, either for Aleph or the Combined. The model has a great sense of motion and the size lends an intimidation factor despite it's thin limbs. The model was a challenge to paint due to the large flat surfaces, especially the white areas. In the end I am happy with the model and he looks impressive on the table.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up I have a lot of models to choose from. Perhaps a Tiger Soldier but along with pretty much everyone I can't wait for Tunguska so the the temptation is to paint my Spectre in order to test potential colour schemes.

#6 IcariumVNam, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  7. dakara

dakara Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I like the color schemes, really nice white and black with the yellow additions, really lovely and clear work

Golem2God likes this.
  8. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I'm not so sure if it's a new camera need - I think lighting will make a world of difference. I bought a cheap $20 lightbox from Amazon with a decent backdrop and I've been that much happier with my photos!

9. Sangarn

Sangarn TRIUMcorp CEO
    Warcor

Nice stuff ! I've always wanted to do en cerberus team myself, was thinking of using Naffattun body with Pano legs
    Naffatun helmet look really like Cerberus stuff

IcariumVNam likes this.
  10. Stormygeddon

Stormygeddon Well-Known Member

I'm a pretty big fan of what you're doing so far. I've once painted "Cerberus" styled Janissaries myself so you get two thumbs up from me.

Ariwch, jherazob and IcariumVNam like this.
  11. IcariumVNam

@dakara thanks, it's time consuming and any black errors on the the white take forever to correct but at least it's worth it in the end I'd say painting in white and yellow it takes me twice as long to paint a model as normal.
    @taylor I have made a simple light box but unfortunately my cats think it is their play box and invariably rip it to pieces. I will look into the amazon boxes but would need it delivered to Vietnam. Thanks for the tip.
    @Sangarn you should do it. I never realised how similar the naffatun look to Cerberus. I already thought the Wu Ming were close. I'm tempted to make a the crew from Mass Effect 2 as a merc company next. Tohaa work well as assari, the new Zoe might work as Jack, just need proxies for the rest.
    @Stormygeddon I saw your thread just before I began this project and it convinced me that it was a good idea and would look work on the models. The rate you produce top quality paint jobs is insane. I paint so slow.

taylor and jherazob like this.
  12. IcariumVNam

I've finally finished another model! Despite the best efforts of Operation Furstrike to de-rail my progress the feline assault team have been vanquished for another season. I've been a big fan of the Tiger Soldier sculpts for a while and knew they would look great in this colour scheme. I feel I am finally getting to grips with both the white and yellow in terms of the paint consistency and pushing the contrast. I will try to remember to do a white tutorial on my next model. Sorry.

So here he is, ready to unleash hell on the Pan O scum who helped Japan escape our great empire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also a group shot of my Yu Jing so far. They are coming together nicely in the Cerberus scheme....if only they weren't so bloody slow to paint....

[​IMG]

#12 IcariumVNam, May 22, 2018
    Last edited: May 22, 2018
    Ariwch, Koin-Koin, eldereth and 10 others like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation