1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cultural Learnings of Painting for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Nomads

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by burlesford, May 10, 2020.

1. Vakarian

Vakarian Bad Nomad

That display is incredible, and the LotR models are amazing. Very cool to see. Good to see you’re still at it man, always love seeing your work.

The final shot of your Nomads really shows how much dedication you’ve put into them. Take that break, recharge, and I’m psyched to see you get back to Tunguska when you do.

burlesford likes this.
  2. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Thanks so much! Well, I took a break, recharged, and am back at it now – though not at Tunguska quite yet. Instead, here's the first of my Jaguar/Druze conversions:

[​IMG]
    I'm really happy to see I'm getting faster. This one took me only 3,5 hours. The Jaguars are also the ones where I decided to copy the Cube Jaeger scheme almost 1:1. Worked really well on her and I'm happy with how she turned out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also painted some more LotR stuff, so for those of you who are interested, you'll find them in the second spoiler. Painted them in extreme speed-painting style, so no more than 1-2 hours per model as well as batch-painting. I just want to get these guys done ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Jaguar #2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I love how the panzerfaust arm from the Tomcat gives it another bright orange flash on the shoulder. Really serves to disntiguish him from the other troops in the unit.

TIL: Male figures always take longer than female ones. They're just bigger, so more surfaces to paint. I guess he also just had more details to take care of (panzerfaust, backpack, goggles). Took me 4,5 hours.

#123 burlesford, Jan 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  4. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Jaguar #3

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I don't know if I can convey to you guys how happy I am to have arrived at the point where a normal S2 mini takes me about 4 hours. When I started last year, it took me 12-15 hours. And I manage to keep the quality, if I haven't even improved it a bit. This makes looking at my pile of nomads still left much less stressful XD

Even faster than Infinity are my LotR minis. This week I got one of them done in one hour. They have the advantage of being less detailed and at a lower standard than what I'm used to now, so I don't have to be too careful. Again, for those of you who want to have a look, they're in the spoiler.

[​IMG]
    This Gimli was particularly interesting, since I painted another version many years back. You don't see much difference in the quality because I wanted to keep the same level across the army. But back then, I think he took me a whole week (Eavy Metal technique: Everything in layers, washes, more layers etc.). This time he took me three hours. Here's the comparison shot. :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then there's this guy (I'll talk more about him when I'm done with the whole unit):

[​IMG]

Finally, this is the guy (to the right) who took me one hour. To the left is the same model painted (I think) ten years ago.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

Excellent level for that speed!

burlesford likes this.
  6. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Thanks @jherazob!

Here's the last of the bunch:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Made a group shot of the whole unit:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. HellLois

HellLois What the Hell...Lois?
    CB Staff

Awesome Army!!!

9. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Thanks @HellLois, and thanks for all the likes! ;)

Now that I have the attention of the CB staff, I feel it's time to finally turn this thread towards its original purpose. Yes indeed:

It's Tunguska time!

Like I said at the beginning of the year, first I will be adding some stuff that's useful for vanilla as well. But I also changed my plans (again) and decided to prioritize the sectorial. So I'll be adding the rest of it over the following months. Here's a snapshot of my painting schedule (the hours are goal indicators):

[​IMG]

And so, to begin, here's my Puppetmaster:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Painting time: 5 hours. Took me a bit longer than planned – here's why: I had done a zenithal overcoat which came out nicely on the coat. So I thought I could just glaze the coat blue and call it a day. But then that didn't have enough saturation, so I shaded and highlighted it. But then the blue was too bright for Tunguska so I had to glaze it darker again. But then it was too muted so I had to do another round of highlights XD Anyway, now I'm super happy with it.

One more LotR mini as well:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#129 burlesford, Feb 10, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  10. Vakarian

Vakarian Bad Nomad

Loving your Jaguar conversions man. And the Puppetmaster is an excellent start on Tunguska. I honestly can’t believe you’ve got that down to 5 hours for the whole job.

Between your posts and some recent N4 games I’ve been motivated to return to vanilla Nomads for some painting projects myself!

burlesford likes this.
  11. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Thanks! It's a combination of having nailed my color scheme down, knowing how to do each color and having learnt some tricks like glazing and focused lighting, which helps me to focus on the important pars and leave other parts out. And I also guess just practice :)

That's amazing! I still need to get a single game in with my nomads, but I'm looking forward to seeing more of your stuff :)

Vakarian likes this.
  12. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

The Druze-Jags and puppetmaster look awesome, and I’m glad you’re able to get faster and more comfortable without having to sacrifice quality. Keep up the good work! Hopefully I can get the creative energy necessary to paint back, but in the meantime, looking at these models is inspiring.

13. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Thanks for the kind words! If my work in any way helps you get motivated to paint more yourself, that's the highest praise I can hope for :)

Quick detour from Tunguska. I finished an exam today and wanted to treat myself by taking some time to paint, and I had this sudden urge to finally sit down and finish my Reverend Custodier. She's been airbrushed for months now and went through several base changes, but I had pushed her to the very back of my schedule because I knew I wouldn't play her often. But then today I thought "Hey, the coat is already airbrushed, and she's small, so I bet if I do her quick and dirty I can finish her in two hours!"

Of course, I couldn't get myself to do her quick and dirty in the end. She's one of the first models I bought eight years ago and she's always been one of my favorite nomad models of all time. Also I realized I had forgotten to airbrush her front apron, so I had to go back with the brush. Then I found out that she was holding two cables, not one, so I had two paint those in different colors of course. And then, when I thought I was finished, I remembered she had a sculpted base...

So instead of two hours, she took me five. But I say it was worth it. I'm very happy with her now. Anyway, enough talk. Here she is:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

wendigo, Wizzy, ETEA and 13 others like this.
  14. Vakarian

Vakarian Bad Nomad

Man, she’s excellent. Really good work on the white. That’s an incredible work for only 5 hours.

I know what you mean about needing to finish something that’s half started too. I’m sure it really feels good to have her off the painting queue and onto the shelf.

burlesford likes this.
  15. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Thanks @Vakarian! Yes, it really does feel good to have her done. But then I realized I needed one more model for my vanilla army, so he's gonna quickly jump the queue as well – my Clockmaker:

[​IMG]
    The thought behind it: I saw all those engineer sculpts across the factions, but all of them forgot the most important thing: Their tool box! How do you want to repair something without tools, duh? :P Body is an Alguacile hacker, right arm is from the Nomad HVT from the RPG set, pistol is from the Mobile Brigada hacker.

While we're at it, a few more minor conversions for Tunguska. With these, all my Tunguska models are assembled.

Dancing Panda
    The thought behind it: I didn't want my third Panda to look like the other two, so I readjusted his arms and lifted his right leg. Now he's taunting the enemy HI with his savage moves.
    [​IMG]

Tunguska Daktari
    The thought behind it: Saw some guy on reddit use the Nomad RPG character as a Tunguska Daktari and immediately loved the idea, so I copied it. The med gun is from the Tomcat doctor.

[​IMG]

Miranda Ashcroft

The thought behind it: I was lucky to get the ltd version on ebay recently, which I like much more than the official one, except for the way she holds her sword and the lack of a gun. So I slapped a few pieces together. The gun is taken from a Spec-Ops spruce specifically to look generic enough to be either a shotgun, a combi or a multi rifle. The left hand with the sword hilt is from an old Druze.

[​IMG]

Wizzy, Oni, borisgreymenace and 5 others like this.
  16. Vakarian

Vakarian Bad Nomad

Wish I could like that post twice. Looooove the conversions. Where is the Nomads pistol from on the Clockmaker conversion? I’ve always wanted more of them to show some models using a pistol.

burlesford likes this.
  17. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Thanks again :) The pistol is from the Mobile Brigada hacker. I basically gave her the Alguacile's hacking hand and in return he got her pistol hand ;)

Vakarian likes this.
  18. Vakarian

Vakarian Bad Nomad

That makes sense. The absence of a good right-handed pistol for conversion options bothered me for a while (although I suppose Perseus is a good source for pistols now too).

19. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Funny that you mention it. I was just looking for one for another conversion. First I thought of the Gecko Pilot, but then a friend offered me a spare Chasseur arm, and that one I find even better.

I did a quick paintjob on the Clockmaker. He's technically not Tunguska either, especially since I painted him in the Alguacile colors. I had a lot of fun with the leather on the case and the head he's standing on. If anyone can tell me which unit that helmet's supposed to be from, let me know. I couldn't find it. Decided to paint him as a Yu Jing helmet in the end because the color fit the best to the rest of the model. But I've never painted YJ yellow army, so it kinda came out almost golden instead of yellow...

[​IMG]

Also, because I promised you guys Tunguska at the beginning of the month, here are the first two Puppetbots as well:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BoxedSnake, wendigo, Wizzy and 14 others like this.
  20. Vakarian

Vakarian Bad Nomad

Wow, love your work as always man. The green on the first puppet is very vivid and draws the eye well.

I *think* the head the Alg Hacker (your Clockmaker) is standing on is one of the PanO TAGs (Tik or Uhlan maybe?) but I’m not 100% sure, maybe someone else knows.

Regardless, your color choice does a lot of work helping the eyes “move” around the model and enjoy all of the details!

burlesford likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation