1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cultural Learnings of Painting for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Nomads

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by burlesford, May 10, 2020.

1. Wikkid Devil

Wikkid Devil Well-Known Member

Worth every minute you spent on it. Wonderful.

burlesford likes this.
  2. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Thanks @Wikkid Devil!

And what better to paint after the biggest miniature of the faction than one of the smallest miniatures of the faction? :)

[​IMG]

Abydog, redeemer, zapp and 7 others like this.
  3. Wikkid Devil

Wikkid Devil Well-Known Member

That would drive me bats! ... I’ll get my coat.

4. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

I'm not gonna harpy on about it ;)

Before I forget, the team together. Is it Zoe & Piwell? Is it Carlota & Moriarty? No, it's [that other female LI character with a side bot].

The good thing is, I don't need to paint any of the other [female LI character with a side bot] teams now, since this can proxy all of them, and is the best looking anyway.

[​IMG]

Abydog, redeemer, zapp and 8 others like this.
  5. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

And in between, another commission job:

[​IMG]

I found it funny that @archangeleong posted his beautiful version on the same day – makes for a nice comparison of color schemes :) I based mine on a certain character out of a certain video game franchise with one similar looking alien assassin. Who can guess it?

[​IMG]

Abydog, zapp, ZlaKhon and 9 others like this.
  6. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

For the longest time, I thought I would never paint up the second Interventor from the box. I had even sent it away to a friend. But eventually, I realized some Tunguska lists could do very well with a double Interventor in a link team, and so I wanted this guy back. He had to give away his combi to a friend, but he doesn't need it anyway.
    [​IMG]

Finally, the family back together:

[​IMG]

As you can see, his orange is not as bright as that of his female counterpart. The reason for this being that I used oil colors this time, which turned out not to be quite as vivid as the GW acrylics (Trollslayer Orange, Flash Gitz Yellow, Wazdakka Red). Not gonna do that again.

I also recently started to change up the recipe for my lights again. While at the very beginning they were pure yellow, I started using Vallejo Yellow Green after a while. No I finally decided to shade them with Jade Green as well to give them even more punch. You can see it in the difference between the Pandas and the Interventors. What do you like more?

Abydog, redeemer, ZlaKhon and 8 others like this.
  7. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Whew, didn't post in a while. Now there's a backlog of finished minis...

Let's start with the second Sineater I converted to a Moran.

[​IMG]

For me, these are the perfect Moran proxies. The current Sineater profiles are almost as useless as the current Moran models. The current Sineater models however are just as awesome as the current Moran profiles. Aka: Perfect symbiosis.

I updated his color scheme a bit to fit better with my new, more streamlined Corregidor scheme, and repainted the old one a bit to match. Now I can finally play the typical two Moran list with the right models :)

[​IMG]

Abydog, redeemer, zapp and 10 others like this.
  8. infyrana

infyrana Well-Known Member

Great use of the new Sin Eater model, which parts did you use for the combi conversion please? Might like to try your wondrous conversion :D

It's fun to see more colours used for the Nomads rather than the usual black, red and whites etc

burlesford likes this.
  9. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Thanks! Yeah, the more I refine my color scheme, the more I like it myself.

As for the Sineater conversion, that was actually quite the surgical operation tbh. I took the combi rifle from the male Interventor (from the post above). Then I carved out the lower front arch where the right hand of the Sineater would grab it, as well as cut off the back part. Next, I removed the respective parts of the Sineater's HMG and slotted the combi rifle into the hole. I think I got lucky, because it worked out much better than I had thought.

While I'm here, here's another little thing that got finished in between other things — my F13 turret.

[​IMG]

Abydog, redeemer, zapp and 6 others like this.
  10. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

I think you mean batty.
    I haven't the foggiest who you are talking about. Who is the inspiration?

11. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

[​IMG]
    This make it any clearer? :D

Abydog, redeemer, Oni and 2 others like this.
  12. Golem2God

Yes that is clearer. I know feel like a fool for don't recognizing the paint scheme now.

burlesford likes this.
  13. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

I totally forgot: I also painted some more 80s space samurai on commission. One box of Domaru and one box of Tankos. Went with blue-to-green and salmon-to-turquoise respectively as gradients.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Abydog, redeemer, Oni and 9 others like this.
  14. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Alright, back to my own stuff:

[​IMG]

I originally planned to just paint her as the ML lady she came as, but then I looked at the Grenzer profiles again and simply couldn't justify taking a ML when I could take two MSR. So I converted her. But now of course I want the ML too, just to get my full AVA 5 Grenzer team:

[​IMG]

Finally, a small survey: My Grenzer color scheme evolved a little bit since I painted the first one, resulting in every Grenzer looking just a little different. I slowly eliminated all orange, made the OSL greener, and added more and more olive instead.

Can you spot the changes, and which variant is your favorite one?

[​IMG]

Abydog, redeemer, zapp and 7 others like this.
  15. Golem2God

@burlesford I noticed the conversion work done on model 3. Good job on that by the way & the rest of the Grenzers. As for a favorite I like them all. It is hard to pick especially in the color scheme you chose for them.

I too am a stickler for having all the opinions of a unit available for me to play with. So that means converting minis when a profile's model does not exist. I guess this mean you are going to ask Shae Konnit for a lady Grenzer to complete this unit?

burlesford likes this.
  16. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Thanks! I like them all, too. I still think I'll adjust the other three at some point to match the last one, just so they're coherent.

The next thing I finished over the holidays was my Vostok.

[​IMG]

And since everyone has their own opinion about the new siocast, here's mine:

One of the things I was bummed about the most before I started, yet most happy about afterwards, was the weight. While I don't think I would like it on an S2 mini, on the Vostok the reduced weight of the plastic didn't feel flimsy. Instead, it was almost a relief. I didn't have to worry that when I tip it over, the weight of the model would immediately let it smash itself to pieces. And as big as it is, it still feels hefty enough.

I also had no problems with the level of detail. I didn't see the difference from a metal mini.

Even the fact that you can't bend it into place like you can with metal didn't bother me – first of all because most pieces fit perfectly, secondly, because when I did have to bend something (the feet weren't even on the base), I could still pin the material, bend it into place and fixate it with glue, which gave me the same result.

What I did have massive problems though was the cleanup. Removing those scraggly, fuzzy plastic mold lines was much more of a hassle than it usually is with metal. Filing made no difference half the time. Little pieces of fuzz would stubbornly cling to the plastic as if I was trying to separate a child from its mother. Getting mold lines out of crevasses was almost impossible. I really do not look forward to the Bearpode after this experience. Here's to hoping that they can improve the material over time, otherwise I'll have to try out that superglue trick I read about somewhere.

Abydog, redeemer, zapp and 13 others like this.
  17. archangeleong

archangeleong Deadly Ninja Assassin

nice review. Did you try sandpaper? Apparently it works better than files in siocast

Abydog, Golem2God and burlesford like this.
  18. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Thanks for the tip! I haven't tried it yet. I'll make sure to put it on the shopping list when I get the beast pack.

Interestingly though, I had much fewer problems with the following siocast minis: Fiddler. These were another set that had to wait a little longer than I thought before I could take care of them.

After having speedpainted one as a commission, I already knew she would go quite fast. This time, however, I wanted to give her her own punk-y, quirky color scheme. So I took inspiration from this paintjob:

[​IMG]

And here's how I translated it to Aristeia's Ex-Toymaker and her 's Ex-Bots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Abydog, galendil, redeemer and 9 others like this.
  19. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

The last big project of 2021: My second Zondnautica. I had the conversions done in October, but only got to paint them over the holidays. I'm proud to say they turned out pretty much exactly as I had hoped.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There's no second dismounted driver, but I can proxy her with pretty much anything. Have a lot of spare models...

Two bikes, voila:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Abydog, Jumara, galendil and 16 others like this.
  20. Uthoroc

Uthoroc Well-Known Member

Most excellent!

Abydog and burlesford like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation