1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cultural Learnings of Painting for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Nomads

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by burlesford, May 10, 2020.

1. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Thanks so much for the feedback, guys!
    Well, I have something new for you – my Grenzer conversion :)

[​IMG]

Which puts me at three Grenzers – only two more to go to reach full AVA :P

[​IMG]

And here's another one-on-one comparison between my first one from last year and the new one. I mainly amped up the OSL of the lights and added more olive. Otherwise they don't differ too much:

[​IMG]

2. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

Yep, difference is less noticeable compared to the previous old vs new.

3. archangeleong

archangeleong Deadly Ninja Assassin

lighting looks better now :-)

4. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

And as we know, lighting is half of all painting skills :P

Alright guys, I'm happy to announce another new project. It's time for

Operation Crimson Stone

:scream::scream::scream:

This is the first time since I started with the hobby again that I actually bought a Corvus Belli product the same month it was released. Feels like a big deal to me. I'm super excited!

And since not everything in this box will be Nomads, here's another story I want to share. Let's begin with a few concept designs:

[​IMG]

Those are artworks from an artist named Nivanh Chanthara. I first came upon his works many years ago when he published the first sketches of his "Babiru" project, which I found simply breathtaking (and which I still hope will be turned into a video game one day but which apparently has a tv show in production rn):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ever since then, I kept an eye on this guy's stuff. And when I saw those artworks above, I knew that I had found something I wanted to use as the basis of my next army:

Kosmoflot

– or, as my actual working title for the project is, Kosmofem:

[​IMG]

My goal: To build an entire Kosmoflot sectorial with only female minis. Why? One reason is that I just like most of the female minis more than the male ones. Another is that I simply liked the idea of an all-female space corps in the otherwise (as it feels to me) very hyper-masculine Ariadnan society.

However, because there are obviously not nearly enough female models for all the Kosmoflot profiles, the army will be almost entirely kitbashed and/or done with proxies. Only a handful of models like the Rokots, Zenith-7 and SAS will actually use the official models. The rest... well, you'll see.

I also decided not to open a new thread this time, since a bunch of these models will come out of the Crimson Stone box, and I wanted to have the finished box all in one place at the end.

Why Kosmoflot though? When I heard that this year's two-player box would feature Nomads and Ariadna, I knew I wanted in, and I also knew I wanted to try a new army and a new style of painting after I was done with my NCA.

That's where we come back to Nivanh Chanthara's artworks. Seeing his style, I decided I wanted to try completely different color schemes for each unit, held together only by browns and blacks as well as the fact that all those colors are very muted. This pastel/low saturation style would give me the chance to try out something I neither did with my bright, shiny Nomads nor with my dirty, speed-painted NCA.

Alright. I know I tend to talk too much while all you want is to see pretty minis. So here's my first test on what will be my Rokots:

[​IMG]
    Since I needed a third female Rokot next to the two ladies from Crimson Stone to play the box, I converted a Line Kazak with a head from Puppetswar. Turns out they are a little bit bigger than the usual Infinity helmets, but considering that most of the helmets in Infinity are way too small to realistically fit around a human head, I thought I'd just go ahead anyway.

Finally, here's a side-to-side with the artwork she's based off of:

[​IMG]

What do you think? As always, I'll be happy to read your comments, questions and criticism!

#224 burlesford, Sep 2, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  5. Uthoroc

Uthoroc Well-Known Member

It looks amazing, and I love the idea of an all-female army (been toying around with the idea for Haqqislam as well). Looking forward to see more of the project!

burlesford likes this.
  6. archangeleong

archangeleong Deadly Ninja Assassin

Love the idea. I like the ladies best as well. Look forward to seeing your progress.

7. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

I really like the idea, the helmet and love the paint job as well.

my constructive criticism is that I think the helmet/head is out of proportion, compared to the rest of the body.

8. zapp

zapp Well-Known Member

Love that you shared your thought process and the preparation / inpiration for that army idea.
    The test model is awesome.
    I dunno if the helmet is oversized or if all other Infinity helmets are undersized to better fit the expectation we have on head sizes.

9. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

The second one

Mob of Blondes likes this.
  10. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Thanks for the feedback guys! I think the main thing I have a problem with is not so much the head size on the individual model itself, but the side-by-side with th other models with "normal" head sizes. You can see it in the group picture of the conversions. Compare the Monstrucker (which will be my Irmandinho) with the Frontovik (which will be my Unknown Ranger). The Monstrucker herself looks good, but next to the Frontovik she looks weird.

I already sent Puppetswar a message asking if they can do custom scaling. Waiting for a reply. If yes, I'll order some more heads, but scaled down 15 percent.

11. Fed4ykin

Fed4ykin Well-Known Member

Knowing that you are in Germany too I could print you some helmets if you have the STL files.
    I'll have to try it out first since I happen to have the printer for a week now, but if it helps your project I would gladly lend you a hand.

12. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Thank you for the offer! I really appreciate it. If I knew where to get good 28mm scifi helmet stl files, I might take you up on it :D Anyone have any suggestions? Monstrous Makings only has one set and I don't like it.

13. Fed4ykin

Fed4ykin Well-Known Member

I found one based on the Halo ODST helmet, but otherwise there are a lot for James Workshops space knights, but I don't think those would fit into infinity...

14. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Do an image search for "female with biker helmet". Combat ones ("female with combat helmet") seem to vary more, BTW.

In some Infinity cases, the helmeted versions are smaller than the head ones (not different than the recurrent talk about female HIs). It's silly. Compare to armours in (2018 movie) Kin... hahaha, Nivanh Chanthara worked on it... and small heads in concept that end bigger in final props.

IMHO the trick is consistency. Do all real sized (helmets adding thickness, not always the same, but a bit every time), or do none and keep the Infinity style. It will be a serious challenge if you do it, I admit that. The gas mask looks OK, the hood over it slightly too big (I searched "gas mask and hood" and "gas mask and poncho"), looks like winter hood but without the huge padded coat.

Edit: typos.

#234 Mob of Blondes, Sep 3, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    burlesford likes this.
  15. LeeroyVinland

LeeroyVinland O-12 Agent

I really dig that :) Can't wait to see the brawler painted!

burlesford likes this.
  16. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Totally true. And you're right, consistency will be the biggest issue.

I've heard back from Puppetswar. They can do it. I've sent them a list of the heads I want and they said they'll get back to me next week.

Now the only question is: how much would you say the heads need to be reduced in size to fit in with the rest of the Infinity crowd? I told them 15 percent, but tbh that's just a guess. What would you say? More? Less?

For reference, here are some more conversions. My Alguaciles all got different heads too because I didn't like a single one of the new ones. The heads are: Katana Morlock for the female, Bounty Hunter and JSA Spec Ops for the males.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#236 burlesford, Sep 3, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    borisgreymenace and Willen like this.
  17. Willen

Willen Well-Known Member

I have already been surprised at how much of a difference in a 3D print (printed myself) made when adjusting +/-10%, so I would believe 15% could be fine. They will look better for sure!

I actually loved the new alguaciles heads! Too bad I am not picking ALL those nomads just to get an EVAder; I already have way too many alguaciles, full AVA hellcats and a very, very nice set of Intruders in every profile configuration :(

burlesford likes this.
  18. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

You could always sell the ones you already have ;) That's what I did with mine. Sold my old BSG Hellcat, engineer Tomcat and three Alguaciles. The rest of the original Alguaciles will serve as Moderators now, which makes much more sense anyway considering their old and very bright paint scheme.

Which leaves room for new Alguaciles with a new paint scheme:

[​IMG]

I tried to find the perfect balance between the very bright Moderators (old Alguaciles) and the dark Securitate, while still avoiding any orange since they're line troopers. I'm very happy with the result. Here's a side-by-side:

[​IMG]

Edit: Zooming in I noticed my old Alguacile lady really needs a dusting XD

19. Willen

Willen Well-Known Member

Sell my minis?!! Such heresy!!
    Seriously, my first hobby seems to be hoarding. Painting second, playing third lol.

Eventually I will get them, I guess…

borisgreymenace and burlesford like this.
  20. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

I did a quick test with the first image (resin helmets), setting size of head to 85% and also 90% (15% and 10%), and they look OK. Taking into account bare heads are already small, 85% (15%) sounds a good start for tests, and maybe final.

Think in 3D, each axis is 90%, but the volume is 72.9% (0.9*0.9*0.9). Or at least in 2D (the "image"), which gives 81% of the area.

Middle head with spiky hair and some kind of mask (or maybe better think about it as artificial face) looks smaller than shaved or tight hair.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation