1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cultural Learnings of Painting for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Nomads

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by burlesford, May 10, 2020.

1. Fed4ykin

Fed4ykin Well-Known Member

Orange and blue go really well together! Congrats on finishing the geckos with an amazing paintjon and nice use of the void tango HVT! As always I am in awe when you finish something new.
    I am really interested what might be the next project after finishing your nomads.

2. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Thank you, thank you, and thank you :) If you want to catch a sneak peak of my next project, search for "burlesford" on the OPathome painting challenge page ;)

Had a long phone call with a friend last night, and how better to help my concentration powers than to give my hands something to do in the meantime? Like, for example, finish a Tsyklon? :D

[​IMG]

This makes 3 S4 drones, which is everything I'll ever need (I think?).
    Putting the three next to each other however shows how much my airbrushing technique evolved over the last year. The Lunokhod on the right is almost a year old and feels not nearly as well contrasted as the Salyut, which is from March, and that one in return isn't as clean and crisp as the Tsyklon, which I airbrushed two weeks ago. What do you think? Which one do you like best?

[​IMG]

wendigo, redeemer, Gurutz29 and 14 others like this.
  3. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

And here goes the second to last Nomad miniature on my painting pile, and with it my last Bakunin model:

[​IMG]

I don't know why, but at some point I knew I wanted to make Bran a ring-tailed lemur. I guess my thinking went along the lines of "if he's already a monkey, why not make him look like an actual monkey?" Not sure if I actually pulled it off or if his face looks more like a skull. In any case, he's done, and I'm happy with him.

I have to say, I REALLY love this sculpt. One of the most fun, dynamic ones of the whole range imo. I didn't stick completely to the color scheme of my other Zeroes, switching the dark green and blue for brown and beige – those would have been too many colors, distracting even more from the already desaturated face.

Now to the very last Nomad on my pile – although he's technically not even a Nomad. But I want him for Corregidor. You know who. He's gonna get finished next Monday, so stay tuned. There'll also be a big group shot of course :)

wendigo, redeemer, wisefaiz and 14 others like this.
  4. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

95/95

Will post the group pic tomorrow.

[​IMG]

5. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Alright.

Let's go back to one year ago one more time, shall we?

This is what my entire Nomad project looked like back then:

[​IMG]

To go full self-referential, let me quote myself from that post:
    Well, I almost bit off more than I could chew. In the end, I didn't paint all this. The Taskmasters I sold. Just as Gogo Marlene and a few Tunguska units. But then again, I also bought a bunch of other stuff in the meantime that isn't on that picture. So in the end, this is what the whole completed project looks like now:

[​IMG]

If you want the one to one nostalgia shot as well, open the spoiler.

[​IMG]

With this, I will close this thread for now. Next week I think I should be able to show the first results of my new project. And in due time, I'm sure I will come back here to add a thing or two.

But 95 minis should keep me going for a while. Thanks for coming along on the ride, all the friendly advice and feedback and, of course, your attention ;)

Jumara, infyrana, redeemer and 16 others like this.
  6. Willen

Willen Well-Known Member

Congrats on finishing the project, this is an inspiring Nomad collection!

burlesford likes this.
  7. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

The main difference between the shots is mainly a better lightning.
    Astonishing how so little can do so much :face_with_rolling_eyes:

burlesford likes this.
  8. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

burlesford likes this.
  9. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

Very cool, congratulation for completing your army. They look awesome.

It was a joy to see you progressing through the army and I bet your next project will be too.

Very inspiring. :+1:

burlesford likes this.
  10. Fed4ykin

You are awesome! Very good looking collection and an inspiration for all of us! I really dig the coloursheme.
    Excited for things to come.
    "We will follow your career with great interests.

burlesford likes this.
  11. archangeleong

archangeleong Deadly Ninja Assassin

Love this army and and all your updates. Please don’t close the thread. Just expand it with your new project!

p.s. I think there are a couple of very cool nomad tags you could add to this collection :blush:

ETEA likes this.
  12. Uthoroc

Uthoroc Well-Known Member

Amazing stuff, very inspiring!

13. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Hey guys, I'm back for more Nomads! For those who missed it: I've been painting construction workers in the meantime.

Thanks to all of you!
    It's all subtle manipulation :P
    Hope you both found my Demolition Crew as exciting as you hoped it would be ;)
    At one point there will for sure be a Szalamander coming. I just don't know when yet. Probably at the latest before they (presumably) turn him into plastic for Code One. The Iguana I don't know. I neither find the profile very useful nor the model that exciting.
    Well, here is at least one:

Spektr Multi Sniper Rifle
    [​IMG]

Now that I'm done with my NCA and I'm still waiting to unpack my Crimson Stone Bundle, I decided to finish a few last Nomad conversions lying around. The first was this Icestorm Spektr which for a long time I didn't know what to do with. I had never liked his original open pose, and he had given both his arms to my Morlock, so he ended up in my bitz box for over a year.

But then two things came together: I finally decided to sell my N2 Spektr Sniper because those old sculpts are just too finicky, and I had a cool weapons arm over from my Druze conversions.
    That's when I decided to turn him into my sniper Spektr. I elongated the barrel of the Druze's combi rifle and bent the left arm of the Sun analyst HVT I still had as a spare so it could hold the weapon.

In the end, I'm very happy with the conversion and had a lot of fun going back to my Tunguska color scheme once again.

I also have one more of these conversions before Crimson Stone will drop coming up soon :)

#213 burlesford, Aug 27, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  14. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Ah, and in case anyone's interested, here's a (useful?) comparison shot between my first Spektr painted one year ago and my new version:
    [​IMG]

15. archangeleong

archangeleong Deadly Ninja Assassin

I too am satisfied when I see my skill improvements on new models compared to old.

Oni likes this.
  16. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Thanks! Is it visible though? I honestly have a hard time seeing any improvements myself – and no, that's not fishing for compliments. I feel like I still don't manage to get my edge highlights much crisper or my gradients much smoother than before. Any tips there? Maybe I just lack the patience? Or a finer brush?

17. Ugin

Ugin Well-Known Member
    Warcor

This is LEGENDARY!

burlesford likes this.
  18. Modock

Modock Well-Known Member

This is totaly nut's, your army is truly majestic!

burlesford likes this.
  19. Fed4ykin

For me personally both look great!
    But I can see the differences between the two and your highlights are ace!
    I absolutely love your threads.
    Your nomads and your NCA too always excited when you post something new.

burlesford likes this.
  20. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

It is noticable because of the close shots and the comparison side by side.
    But as the the "old" one was already gorgeous, it just makes the "new" even more gorgeous.
    So yes you get better with smoother and better delimitation but both still look consistent as a whole.

jherazob and burlesford like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation