1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cultural Learnings of Painting for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Nomads

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by burlesford, May 10, 2020.

1. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Hey guys, here's the shortest introduction I could think of:

German guy fell in love with Infinity in the year 2012, bought a bunch of Nomad packs because they looked the coolest, never found anyone to play the game with, never opened any of the packs, went to Australia for a year, gave up the hobby afterwards.

Fast forward 7 years.

German guy joins a Cyberpunk Red RPG group, meets Greek guy who talks about Infinity a lot, remembers those packs, gets all excited and buys the Icestorm Nomads from his Greek friend.

German guy says he only wants to play Vanilla now and forever and srew sectorials! Gets beaten by Greek friend's JSA a lot, watches a lot of VaulSC, falls in love with Tunguska and buys some more minis.

Now German guy has no idea why he's painting all these Corregidor and Bakunin models when he said he wanted to play Tunguska. But well, that's where he started mid-March, and you should always finish what you started.

So now, for my glorious Tunguska army, here's everything except Tunguska (in the order I painted it):

Paramedic Alguacile
    [​IMG]
    Intruder (boy that MAS base took a while. But it was fun!)
    [​IMG]

Zero (another big MAS base. This is starting to unnecessarily stretch my painting time per mini...)
    [​IMG]

Old Alguacile Hacker (aah, simple base again. But that visor, ugh... Why are you so good, Angél? Also still haven't figured out how to paint the ceramic parts smoothly...)
    [​IMG]

Hellcat – damn what an amazing mini! (Damn what a lot of work for the base again. I'm starting to regret this! And why is my "matte" varnish so glossy!!? :(
    [​IMG]

Alguacile 3 (getting a bit faster now. "Matte" is still not "matte". I feel betrayed)
    [​IMG]

Tomcat – is this scuplt even more awesome than the Hellcat? Maybe. Also, screw the varnish (for now). And those bases (still fun though).[​IMG]

Alguacile 4 (stole the eye painting technique from this Korean guy with the anime eyes but butchered it of course.)
    [​IMG]

And just finished today: The first Bandit. This mini really shows which Infinity mini I stole my color scheme from btw. Anybody guessed it yet?
    [​IMG]

If I can keep up my new rhythm of two minis a week, next week should see the last Alguacile and a Prowler.

Question for you: Please, someone tell me how to paint Ivory/Bone White and White without a) needing a thousand layers or b) putting it on too thick. No matter what I try, I always end up with too thick or too thin of a coat, even on a white primer.

Also, any other Feedback is very much appreciated. I really want to get better. Tell me what works and what doesn't, I can use the advice. Thanks!

#1 burlesford, May 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  2. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

This is great job! You didn't butcher that tutorial at all :) Also if you enjoy the basing it's not wasted time at all, it's not a race! :)

As for white, i'm far from an expert but here's a good tutorial by somebody who is and has an easy technique:

And if your minis are coming out satin or gloss and you don't want that, try finishing with a coat of matte varnish, Testors Dullcote, Army Painter Antishine or the AK ultramatte ones are some that are beloved by a lot of people, pick the one you have access to (i have tried the Army Painter one and like it).

3. zapp

zapp Well-Known Member

Keep the basing, they add much to the minis. Especially on that Zero! The paintjob is amayzing :-)

burlesford, Xeurian and jherazob like this.
  4. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

I'm only half-serious about the bases. Like I said, I love them. It's just that some of them take half as much time as the mini itself :P But yeah, they're worth it. Still, Tunguska will get easier bases XD

I really think it comes down to the colour used, so thanks! I'll try out the white ink he recommends (and Schminke acrylics are very easy to get here too, so I might try that out as well)

Thanks as well! Will try out those other varnishes. Anyone else has experience with the Vallejo matte varnish? I still have 1,5 bottles here and dont just want to throw them away. Do I just need to water it down a lot and apply thinner layers?

jherazob likes this.
  5. archangeleong

archangeleong Deadly Ninja Assassin

Great work and fun commentary.

I hate base painting too and keep bases to a minimum myself (Also I don't like bases that detract too much from the miniature). By the way I just started Tunguska myself and been trying to get them done fast too. Two minis a week is a big effort for me also.

Keep up the good works and posts!

burlesford likes this.
  6. Vakarian

Vakarian Bad Nomad

I use Vallejo matte varnish and yea, to be frank, it’s kinda shiny for a matte varnish. If you water it down 1:1 or maybe even more water than the varnish, and apply two thin coats to the model than one thicker coat, I’ve found that keeps the shininess down a bit. I’ve posted some OSS models in another thread here that are all varnished that way - but honestly your models don’t look any more shiny than mine do even with the method I just described.

burlesford and jherazob like this.
  7. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

First of all. Great minis. Really like your blue Nomads. Very nice work.

For the Vallejo matte varnish, i almost solely use it for my minis too. I just like the effect of it, it is a little bit of in between shiny and ultra matte. Like Vakarian said you have to thin it around 50/50 with thin layers (about 2-3) but you will never get it completely matte (but better as on the hellcat). Have a look on my Kerail and Neema if you like, they are not 100% matte as well.

Keep on with your good work.

Vakarian, burlesford and jherazob like this.
  8. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Thanks for the feedback guys! Very encouraging. Where's the harsh criticism I asked for though? :P

I took a look at your Tohaa (they're amazing btw) and they don't look shiny at all. So you seem to be onto something. I'll try to be more patient and layer it thinly.

Your OSS are really nice too! And yeah, some of them look shinier than others. Thin layers seem to be the motto of the day (as always).

Oni and Vakarian like this.
  9. Vakarian

Vakarian Bad Nomad

Thanks! Yea, the HMG especially seems to have a shiny coat. I'm guessing I didn't water the varnish down enough on him (he was one of the first models I did) and for the more recent batch, the second Dakini combi and the Shukra BSG, I made sure to go 1:1 or even a little bit heavier on the water, 2-3 coats, and they look a lot less shiny.

Edit: I see you asked for harsh criticism, lol. I can't honestly give any! I love your color scheme, and the bases are incredible. All I can really say is keep at it!

#9 Vakarian, May 11, 2020
    Last edited: May 11, 2020
    burlesford likes this.
  10. Manfred_VR

Manfred_VR Well-Known Member

Excellent work, I really like your colour scheme !

burlesford likes this.
  11. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

First half of the week is going well: Last of the Alguaciles (for now). Since I don't know how to paint black hair, he's simply a bit mature now :P

[​IMG]

And I know I said the second one this week will be a Prowler, but to keep the community interaction up I'll let you decide: What would you rather see next – the promised Prowler (the Spitfire one) or a second Hellcat (would be the BSG one). I'll take votes until tomorrow night bc then I'll start the next one.

Lights out in Germany.

12. Vakarian

Vakarian Bad Nomad

I vote Prowler, only because you have one Hellcat done already. Success Hellcat (the BSG) is an awesome model too.

burlesford likes this.
  13. Manfred_VR

Manfred_VR Well-Known Member

My favourite is the bandit, I like the colours you used and the effect is amazing ;)

burlesford likes this.
  14. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Alright guys, with such an overwhelming majority in favor of the Prowler I'll give him a go. Gonna try a bit of a variation on the colour scheme to keep things fresh (and since he's from Bakunin).

toadchild likes this.
  15. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

What do you get when you combine a Saturday with a major birthday in the family and a Sunday with 20° sunny weather? That's right, a weekend where not much painting gets done. So I'm sad to say the Prowler is a bit tardy.

But to not leave you entirely empty handed, here's a group shot of the bunch so far:

[​IMG]

(and you even get a blurry WIP Prowler in the bg :P)

Croepoek, HellLois, Daimeow and 14 others like this.
  16. Gurutz29

Gurutz29 Well-Known Member

Great paintjob here.
    I like your color scheme, the white armor, blue fabric and orange details fit well together.
    Well done.

Can't wait to see the prowler done ^^

burlesford likes this.
  17. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Thanks @Gurutz29

Just wanted to leave a quick sorry for the sudden drop in content. Had some turbulent times and didn't get around to painting. Things are setteling down a bit again though, so there's gonna be an update soon. I'll tentatively say this weekend.

18. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

I say Tunguska, you say Corregidor — what the hell is Bakunin... oh come on!

Since it's a holiday, this technically counts as the weekend, prove me wrong. Anyway, the Prowler is finally done. I don't know why a Spitfire would have blue liquid in it, but I thought it looked cool so shut up.

[​IMG]

19. Vakarian

Vakarian Bad Nomad

That Prowler is *amazing*. Great work!!!

burlesford likes this.
  20. THEGRAAK

THEGRAAK Member

Man, your work is amazing!

Regarding painting white with no headache I base coat with GW Celestra grey and then easily layer up to white with Corax white (in truth a very light greysh white). GW colors got better in these last years, old whites where hell and suffering, instead these ones are very easy to paint and have good coverage. Also: use a glaze medium! But I bet you already know that! :)

(ps if you want to see those whites I got pictures of the result in my last topic)

burlesford likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation