1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have a plan Arthur.

Discussion in 'Ariadna' started by atomicfryingpan, Nov 22, 2018.

1. atomicfryingpan

atomicfryingpan Well-Known Member

I've been playing a ton of red dead redemption 2 and am now inspired to run the van der linde gang in my game. Naturally they would be Usariadna since Tahiti doesn't have a sectorial yet. The profiles I feel would best represent them would be the desperados and hard cases naturally. I need to make a big pile of cash be my hvt. I can't imagine a list with 6-10 irregular orders being really competitive but it sounds like it would be fun.

I haven't ran any of the desperados before so I have no experience with them. For those of you who have ran them how are they and what profiles do you like the most?

Does anyone know where I can get cowboy hats that can be used for conversions?

2. Death By Monkeys

Death By Monkeys Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Dude. Desperadoes are one of my favorite USAriadna units. They get so much work done for their points. If I have the points, my preference with them is always the Assault Pistol/Chain Rifle profile. If I need to shave a few points off, I'll take the Heavy Pistol/Chain Rifle profile still. I could see value in the BSG profile, but I haven't tried it yet. And while I love SMGs, their advantage over Assault Pistols is that it gives the Desperado the ability to drop into Suppressive Fire - but, frankly, I've never had a Desperado survive long enough for that to be useful.

I almost always run mine in pairs - one for each flank. They are fantastic for zooming up a flank with smoke and trading up. B5 Assault Pistols make HI sit up and take notice. SSL2 is really useful once they've done their thing and they are in the opponent's deployment zone and they have multiple vectors to come at you.

I've never yet had a Desperado survive a game. But then, I don't think they're supposed to.

As far as cowboy hats go, check Wyrd's Malifaux line. Malifaux has the best hats, hands down, of any miniature game. That said, it's actually not too hard to make GS cowboy hats. Two of my three Hardcases are Rifle Metros that I've given GS cowboy hats and plastic bows made from GW Dark Elf crossbows.

3. Scribbler

Scribbler Well-Known Member

I haven't used Desperadoes before (mainly because I'm still trying to build up my USAriadna), but I have been on the receiving end of one before. I was playing my CHA for the Armory, and had deployed most of my troops in total cover and very close proximity to each other, so my opponent raced his Desperado in two or three orders (not counting impetuous) right into my deployment zone and chain rifled five of my models. The Desperado died immediately to a crit from a wulver's T2 rifle, and all of my models dodged the template or made their ARM save, except for one volunteer...who happened to be my Lieutenant, so I started my first round of that game in Loss of Lieutenant.

What I take away from this is that, if you can find a good route and get your desperado into your opponents DZ, then all hell breaks loose and forces your opponent to deal with him, which will waste his orders. And being impetuous and on a motorcycle, shouldn't be any trouble at all if the way is clear. Desperadoes are also pretty inexpensive, so I'd use them if I had the models.

atomicfryingpan likes this.
  4. atomicfryingpan

atomicfryingpan Well-Known Member

I'll definitely have to get some of these guys and try them. I never really used any bikes before so I'm pumped to try these guys out.

5. mightymuffin

mightymuffin Well-Known Member

I've run the 2 x Assault Pistols before in Vanilla & they're very effective; if you can spot an opening to get them into 8" range.
    Last time I remember, one made it to my opponent's DZ and hosed down an Intruder with B5 - who happened to be his Lt.

If you think of them as disposable, then they're also tricky to ARO to as they have the option of B5 pistols or a DTW; possibly even forcing your opponent to Dodge instead.

And then there's Sixth Sense L2, which makes them even harder to deal with!

6. Randomcallsign

Randomcallsign Well-Known Member

They're personally one of my favorite units in USARF. I generally throw one in each of my combat groups and chase up a flank. Almost always spend the 13 points for the Assault pistols and go hunting for anything that's more expensive than they are.
    Step one: Leverage smoke to get into your good range band.
    Step two: Make them choose between B5 or a large template.
    Step three: Profit.

7. mightymuffin

mightymuffin Well-Known Member

I think you missed a step. :-)

Randomcallsign likes this.
  8. Randomcallsign

Randomcallsign Well-Known Member

You're right, although given the nature of the unit it should be:
    Step one: Leverage smoke
    Step two: Make them choose.
    Step three: Die
    Step four: Profit
    :-D

mightymuffin likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation