1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would a task force deploy?

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by BlackCadian, Dec 30, 2018.

1. BlackCadian

BlackCadian Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,

so I totally enjoy reading fluff and theorycraft regarding the whole setting of Infinity, but in particular combat tactics, gear and technologies. All of that makes the game feel more “real” to me, which in turn makes it cooler in a way.

Anyway, today I was wondering/trying to rationalize how a typical task force (is that even the proper designation?) would be deploying in the zone of operations?

I mean, sure, if it’s fairly remote it shouldn’t be hard, but especially in more urban areas? Would they roll up in unmarked vans? What about the heavier gear? Flatbed trucks maybe? Something like in Knight Rider? What do you think?

2. Insane Cheese

Insane Cheese Member

I imagine dropship/drop pod. Probably to much bulky tech to try and sneak in on a boat full of vegetables.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

3. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

First question is how fast this mission has come up. If it's 30-minutes notice or less, the timing pretty much rules out anything but orbital drop.

Blackhawk Down had half a day's notice, and that was an air assault. The BHD rescue force was on trucks and APCs. [ edit: The distance from the Task Force Ranger HQ at the airport to the hotel is about 1.5miles in a straight line! ]

Bin Laden had probably 6 months notice, and was also an air assault, but that was due to distance from other bases. [ edit: The compound is in Abbottabad, and is 170miles/270km from Jalalabad airbase, 230miles/370km from Bagram airbase. ]

We Were Soldiers (LZ Xray) had a day or so notice, and was an air assault by virtue of no roads in the area. [ edit: The actual LZ was only about 14miles/22km from the base! ]

If you look at SWAT team deployments (or, for the UK folks, Armed Police deployments), those roll up in a truck often identical to one used by FedEx or UPS, what we call a panel van. They may have access to bigger/heavier equipment, but that's not their 'standard' deployment.

The Fourth Corporate War from Cyberpunk 2020 featured covert APCs that were uparmored versions of a Winnebago or UPS truck, with hidden weapons. Highly entertainingly, sometimes the various competing teams ended up on the same air or sea transports en route to their targets.

With Antenociti's Fast Panda Food Trucks, it's possible that those are also used by not only other businesses, but if those trucks are common enough in the city to be 'invisible' (think about it, how often do you see a UPS truck driving around?) they'd be good camouflage for an Infinity team.

#3 Section9, Dec 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Xeurian, Robock, WarHound and 3 others like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation