1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Foamcore?

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by Djase01, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Djase01

Djase01 0 12 Mastermind

I'm wanting to make some good custom terrain out of foamcore, I've made foamcore terrain before, but with mediocre results; so what is the best way to foamcore? What are some helpful tips and tricks to get the best result, and what are the best tools for the job?

2. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

Honestly, straight ruler and fresh blades should be enough. For contrast, here's Jeremy's guide to the much thicker and denser XPS foam:

As long as your blades are sharp you should be pretty much OK. Be aware that on the cheap kind of foamcore the paper backing peels off easily (which is taken advantage of by many crafters, don't think it would be much useful for this though).
    Also, in case you want some templates to do stuff, these are nice, from a now defunct forum thread on the old forums. I believe there's more.

Cothel, chromedog and Azuset like this.
  3. Sargento 100% Algodon

Sargento 100% Algodon Well-Known Member

This video is quite interesting.

jherazob likes this.
  4. jherazob

I faintly recall seeing this before, was very very good.
    And right on point is one of the recommended videos:

Edit: The guy in your linked video has a playlist for more techniques to work with foamcore, i had no idea it was this versatile, if we can experiment a little and come up with some quick hacks like that crushing one in the second video to get soft curves (since the first thing we're gonna do to the resulting buildings is weathering, if they're not engineer-level perfect like he wants it's OK) this could be far more useful than i expected, you print some building textures and stick them to the resulting shapes and we're done :D

#4 jherazob, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  5. Djase01

Djase01 0 12 Mastermind

Thank you this is all extremly helpful.

What is the best adhesive? I have rubber cement, super glue, and Modge-Podge. The rubber cement is good for glueing stuff on foamcore, but not foamcore to foamcore, and modge is the same way. The super glue I find the best, but it is very messy. What do find the best, and what is the way to aplly the adhesive?

6. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

I used pva for foamcore to foamcore. The warmer your hobby area is, the faster it will grab and set, but you can also use sewing pins to hold the joins together while you wait.

Also superglue will EAT the "foam" part of it.

jherazob and Mob of Blondes like this.
  7. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Superglue not melting the foam? Maybe you are a lucky one and have urethane based foamboard, instead of styrene.

Modge not working? That should work, just like wood glue, and so should old thick acrylic paint or any of those new glues that are like sealers ("no more nails"). Anyway, the trick is using pins. Or painters tape, if you find one that does not tear the card.

If you are going to cover the surfaces, you can push pins from outside and remove them later. If need a "no holes" surface, use short ones inside (cut or straightened stapples, sections of toothpicks). The idea is that the parts are held in place while everything dries.

Edit: more or less ninjaed by chromedog.

chromedog and jherazob like this.
  8. Djase01

Djase01 0 12 Mastermind

I bought it from Wallmart, lol.

@chromedog, what is pva + thanks for the tip for the pins.

9. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

PolyVinyl Acetate, white / wood glue... at least in the past, I wonder the real composition of the ones I can buy here.

chromedog likes this.
  10. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

Yeah, poly vinyl acetate, white glue commonly used for woodwork. Also works with card and paper and bonds to the usual foamcore we can get here.
    Ours is white but dries clear, other countries may have a yellow tinted one for timber but it's still pva.

11. Captain Spud

Captain Spud Maker of Things

I made a foamcore-cutting tutorial quite a while back that I still reference a lot.

And more recently, a longer video of a full foamcore project. This one contains things not applicable to scratch foamcore projects, but there's also a lot of good general advice about cutting and gluing.

#11 Captain Spud, Mar 25, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    chromedog, Yog.0 and jherazob like this.
  12. jherazob

Heh, i recall now, i left that video to watch later then forgot, sorry :grinning:

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation