1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heroic Wuxia Characters versus Heroic Samurai Bushis. . .

Discussion in 'FanArt' started by stevenart74, Mar 20, 2018.

1. stevenart74

stevenart74 Well-Known Member

This thread I open because I'm frankly pissed by "Operation Shitstorm Flamewar" that is the nickname that I give to the "Rising Tide" of hate, spite and foul mood that was originated by the (probable. . .) MISINTERPRETATION of what Corvus Belli entailed about the whole "Japan Uprising" upcoming stuff. . .

It has devolved (between other very nasty degenerations) also in a sort of "Pissing Contest" between "Who Is The Shittier Of The Two New Rivals". . .

There is from one side the Genocidal Crane Agent that gallivantly and proudly address a Maya-News Warcor into documenting the massacre of Japanese Civilians for their betrayal of the State Empire, with a chilling disregard of Logic that seems to invoke Pol Pot justifying the "Red Purges", the Serbian Nationalists commenting on Balkan Ethnic Cleansing or even Adolph Hitler justifying the "Final Option" for solving the "Untermensch" problem. . .

From this start to seem also that many new Yu-Jing themed Army Pieces would signify the Imperial Secret Service will start to have "Open Game Season on Rebels" with a genocidal panache that make the Star Wars Sith-Stormtroopers commanded by Darth Vader some sort of "U.N. Peace Corps" in comparison. . .

. . . . .

On the other there are the much maligned and infamous Kempeitai that seems now to have "Evolved" from Clandestine Freedom Fighters (whose main task was to "Frag" some Chinese Officers disregarding Nihonjin Soldier's lives) to "New And Improved Gestapo / Stasi of the Tenno". . .!!

Also there is the rumours about Ikari Company as Mercs that emphatize the WORST aspects of the Samurai Culture, from the bloodthirsty slaughters of "Shogun Wannabe-Tyrants" like Oda Nobunaga and Ideyoshi Toyotomi, the aforementioned WW2 "Pacific Theatre War Criminals" and some of the worse possibilities of the nastier stuff seen in the most bloody Yakuza Movies (and we speak of kinky stuff like Mob Gangsters that rape a High Schooler Girl AFTER killing Her, such as in borderline stuff like "Machine-Gun Girl" or similar splatter movies). . .

. . . . .

It is all well to represent the "Darker Shades of Gray" of the infinity Universe, but there are ALSO some concept of Honour in Warriors inspired from millennia old Military Chivalric Cultures. . .

Where is the Bushido Code of the "Legend Of Five Rings". . .??

Will the Lhost Incarnation of its writer Musashi Myamoto stand idly when "Shogunate Shinsegumi Mk2" will go around executing Japanese Citizens for being NOT ENOUGH "Tennohaike Banzai". . .??

. . . . .

And where are the proud traditions of Chinese Martial Artists defending the People from ALL kind of hassles. . .??

Will the Shaolin Monks (traditional folklore defenders of the POOREST class against ANY despots, be they Manchurian Praetorians or Mao's Death-Squads !!) be twiddling their "Iron-Hard Thumbs" if the Crane will escalate "Kuang-Shi Conversions" to Industrial Production Levels on the mere "Suspect of Misbeahviour". . .??

Where are the Ideals of the "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" age of Kung-Fu Heroes. . .??

. . . . .

I believe that Infinity is based on Fantasy Tropes as well as Cyberpunk ones, and so it is as anyone thinks that a typical "D&D Campaign" based on the Forgotten Realms Setting will be "Paladins and Harpers are ALL dead and gone, now it is just Zentharim Necromancers against the Red Wizards of Thay executing a Magic Cold War". . .!!

Or in the equally famous "Dragonlance Setting" a Gamemaster saying: "Nope, no way to play honour-bound Solamnic Knights or merry Kenders, You could choose between playing Draconians killing all Humanoids or Pirate Minotaurs that enslave any survivors. . ."

. . . . .

Or if anyone like more a contemporary analogy will be "Nope, You can't have Seal Team Six neutralizing I.S. Leaders of F.B.I. crack teams liberating Hostages, You get ONLY to choose between C.I.A. Black-Ops Wetworks Squads rivaling "Foreign Assetts" Blackwater Mercs, all removing Civilians Witnesses as Collateral Damage. . ."

. . . . .

I hereby finish this rant by asking ANYONE passingly interested in Wuxia / Samurai related Pop Culture what "Honourable Characters" could be somehow introduced in the Infinity Universe to offset this PERCEIVED kind of "Fall Into Grimdark". . .

I want to draw someting of Honourable Martial Artists transplanted into the Human Sphere, and will discuss with anyone everything from BOTH Real Hystorical Figures and Manga / Anime / Korean Manwa / Chinese Comics that maybe they will like to have Conceptualized. . .

. . . . .

I will start to try with "Romance Of The Three Kongdoms" Heroes for the Chinese Side, starting with the infamous Lu-Bu as an Achilles-Level "Assault Lhost Body" with its famous "Red Hare" stallion made into a Heavy Combat Bike. . .

For the "Rising Sun Knights" I will try to have a believable rendition of a group o Honourable Domaru that impressed by Musashi's path started to style themselves as Akira Kurosawa's "Seven Samurais". . .

2. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

@stevenart74 How about Zatoichi the Blind Swordman? He may not be a heroic Bushi but he is a famous Japanese fictional character who had one of Japan's longest running movie & tv series. You can find most of them on youtube if you wish.
    He has faced both Yojimbo & the One-Armed Swordsman characters in separate movies. Which has always made me think that he would/could be a great choice to include into Infinity somehow. After all, Yojimbo literally got placed into Infinity's lore so why wouldn't the famous blind swordsman as well?
    https://human-sphere.com/index.php?title=Yojimbo
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zatoichi
    https://human-sphere.com/index.php?title=Kempeitai

From this data I think Zato-No-Ichi would/could have an interesting background in Infinity. He could be a former Yakuza like his original lore or maybe twist it a bit by having him be a former Kempeitai. Someone who lost his eyesight in a past war fighting for Yu Jing or better yet during the JSA Uprising event. The new Kempeitai organization and their new status as the military police-force caused Ichi to realize that were becoming like their past "selves". He begins to develop a change of heart concerning his past thoughts & actions. The families, relatives & friends lives who were hurt/destroyed because of his work and their resentment against his people was stoked hotter. Not every Yu Jingese was/is like the government that they serve under. While some, notably the ISS, are similar the majority of the people aren't. Because of this "Zatoichi" refused to accept a replacement for his eyes as a penitence for his past and retired from the organization shortly thereafter.
    Over time "Ichi" grew accustomed to being blind. He tested & honed his skills in gambling houses while continuing his military training regiment. Learning how to walk & perceive with a cane took time but he eventually got the hang of it. However, he would realize that the feeling of guilt never left and in order to atone for his crimes he decided to take up the life of a wanderer. After using a few connections and pulling a few favors, "Ichi" was bestowed with a custom cane sword of very high quality craftsmanship. After modifying his old Kempeitai outfit he set out into the Human Sphere.
    Throughout the years the blind wanderer has picked up many skills along the way. From massaging, playing instruments, wrestling and a few martial art forms & better swordsmanship. His tales & escapades have grown over the years which in turn have caused the bounty on his head to raise. Still many people across planets have "Zatoichi" to thank for helping them in times of dire need and his reputation among the common folk, some officials & some criminal elements is nothing short of praiseworthy. And who could forget the live Maya News broadcasted fight between Yojimbo & Zato-No-Ichi? It is still one of the most watched videos on Mayatube.

"Zato-No-Ichi"
    MOV 4-4, CC 19, BS 12, PH 10, WP 14, ARM 1, BTS 0, W 1, S 2,
    Sixth Sense L2, Martial Arts L2(Surprise Attack, Stealth, V:Courage),
    Weapons: Assault/Stun Pistol, DA CCW, Knife, Electric Pulse

#2 Golem2God, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    stevenart74 and jherazob like this.
  3. stevenart74

Very good suggestion @Golem2God. . .

I own a DVD with Takeshi Kitano's latest rendition of Zatoichi, and while it was slightly satyrical as that genial Actor / Director often does (along with some Radical Choices, such as the "Blind Samurai" to have never been really sightless, but simply employed Zen Techniques to concentrate during Duels) was an excellent show of that era of wandering Samurai and Swordsmen, with many excellent co-characters (such as the Ronin Rival, constrained down a self-destructive path, or the Transvestite Male Geisha forced to prostitution to keep Himself and His Sister on their vengeance road !!). . .

As for very recent stuff there is also the excellent "Blade Of The Immortal" a Manga (recently transplanted in a good movie) about a regenerating, eternal Ronin that defend poor people from Samurai Bullies and Criminals; it is as a former Kempeitai too (or an Army Bushi) had somehow gained the Supernatural Version (not so much, could also be a sort of Alien Symbio-Parasyte of Shaasvastii or Tohaa origins !!) of the Haqqislamite "Runihura Super-Soldier". . .

There is also a cool explanation about how Samurai's Age swordsmith would obtain a "Viral Sword" to counter the Character's Djanzaban-like self-healing capabilities. . .

. . . . .

And from the Chinese side I could always port the "Iceman" 2014 Tv Movie with the excellent Kung-Fu Actor Donnie Yen; it is the weird History of a group of Wuxia-Age Imperial Knights that end frozen in an avalanche and are then awakened in contemporary Hong Kong. . .

While the Movie is mainly satyrical these "Jade Dragon Paladins" (both Good and Bad ones) have supernatural prowess to enhance their excellent Martial Arts Skills and this make them a sort of "Haqqislamite Supersoldiers" too; not only they have Khawarji-styled Super-Strenght, Hyper Jump and enhanced Athletic Prowess. . .

Also the main character of Donnie Yen (Honourable and Wise), could even Heal as a excellent Medic, as its Chi-Skills are so good to save a side-character's mother from Alzheimer Senile Demence with a funny "Kung Fu Massage". . .

All good stuff to possible port into Infinity. . . . .!!!

jherazob and Golem2God like this.
  4. Golem2God

I remember that movie. Though the male Geisha wasn't a transvestite. He was still a male but dressed like a female. So in other words he was a crossdresser instead. Also the ending line of the movie Ichi states that even though his eyes are open he cannot see or something to that effect.
    There are other interesting or neat Zatoichi characters in the original series (both tv and movies) some even appear more than once. It might be worth it to watch some of them to get a gist of Ichi's character and few others as well. For example, in the first movie it has a samurai who is dying form an illness and wants to go out fighting Ichi so he can die honorably.

Also Zatoichi's actor had a real life brother that played the main character in the famous series "Lone Wolf & Cub" about Ronin Itto Ogami ending up caring for a orphaned boy and their many journeys. That might be another fictional character to add to your list.

If you want another Zatoichi story of a borther/sister duo trying to get vengeance then go watch "Zatoichi and the Chess Expert" movie.

That is alot of interesting ideas. Which ones will you decide on making an art piece of first?

#4 Golem2God, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    Danger Rose and jherazob like this.
  5. stevenart74

Well I have a very tight schedule as now, so I can as well put it down clearly:

1°) first the "Minotaurs" Characters that You wrote down; Wayah and the Moderatrix as first, and then the supporting ones from other sources. . .

2°) Some preliminary stuff for the "Svarhalheima Ragnarok" project; just to frame enough Your "Rodok Band Of Brothers" in some rough concepts. . .

3°) The Gecko Pilot of @inane.imp, as is another "Commissioned" kind of Character that I freely give precedence to other stuff. . .

4°) @DaRedOne merry warband of "My Little Riot Pony-Grrls"; these are very interesting cast of Characters (that could even interesting to represent in the "Minotaurs-Verse" !!) and touch also some very important Personal Issues of "Gender Pride" that I feel much to address from an Artistic Point-Of-View. . .

5°) Generic Cast of the Minotaurs, with Concepts of Vehicles, Weapons, Homebase and so on. . .

6°) Finally the "Wuxia Vs. Samurai" various characters; I thought also to put there the N.P.C. Enemies of the Minotaurs; as Yujing and Panoceania are the main "Teseum Predators" of Dawn then I will also prepare some J.S.A. "American Nisei Ninjas" working for Pan-O Lobbies and some heroic "Historical Kung Fu Masters" and "Three Kingdom Wuxias" defending Zonnghuo claims. . .

These last work will be also recycled to create "Human Opponents" for the not-so-heroic "Morat Marauders" of Svarhalheima. . .

Golem2God and DaRedOne like this.
  6. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

This reminds me I should do a final pass on Tony's build and put flesh onto his backstory (in his case 'badly grafted synth-flesh').

Golem2God and stevenart74 like this.
  7. stevenart74

Thats good; some very rough sketches I have made of Him have the left-side still intact, while is the right one to be scarred, am I right in this. . .??

I have taken inspiration from the "Cobra Firefly" Character from the second G.I.Joe movie, that present heat-induced "Scar Scaly Patterns" on the ruined portion of the face, and that could be also a result of improperly grafted "Regen Lizard Tissue" that some quack from Vaudeville / Praxis made with cheap, unreliable discounts for Tony. . .

Golem2God and inane.imp like this.
  8. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Yup. Right Arm is the 'wound' so that's where most of the muscle would have been regrown, but flash burns down most of that side I think. And certainly some facial scaring (there's a reason he's got low PERS :) ).

9. DaRedOne

DaRedOne Morat Warrior Philosopher
    Warcor

This reminds me of an idea I had when I first saw the Daiyokai model. I wanted to convert him into a Tadakatsu Honda like guy. Hell, I wanted to make an army of Samurai Warriors for JSA...

Then I saw the statline of the Daiyokai, realized they'd play exactly like I play my MAF and Bakunin forces and realized I don't need another Close quarters shooting army. Heh. Good thing too, I don't spend the money on the models :D

I do love the idea of either a Tadakatsu Honda recreation or just a guy styled after him. Specially because I think Shingen Takeda would make a better Japanese recreation anyways.

10. Golem2God

@stevenart74 I think I found another one. Apparently this was an anime but it was made into a series of live action movies. The main character, Rurouni Kenshin, is the type that you are looking for.

Danger Rose, DaRedOne and jherazob like this.
  11. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

Kenshin! Used to be one of my favorites for years, and at least the first movie is one good example of a good Live Action adaptation, no idea about the others but supposedly it's true for them too. That reminds me, i need to watch the next 2.

Golem2God likes this.
  12. stevenart74

Yeah, I knew the Manga as it translated even here in Italy. . .

Good enough, especially when the "Week's Opponent" were JUST normal Ronin Samurais or other Martial Artists, rather than weird "Freaks" that approached "One Piece" levels of absurdity. . .

The most intriguing fact was the Main Character as a Veteran Swordsman with a cool head and a wise approach to battle, rather than the usual "Bishounen High Schooler" with a bad attitude and Emo tendences that SOMEHOW was more skilled than Elder Masters. . .!!

It devolved soon into non sense when appeared a Ninja Assassin that was shaped like Spiderman's Venom and a Giant Warrior that was the size (and similarly armoured) of an E.V.A. of Evangelion. . .

I hope the Live Action Movie avoided the worst of the "Freakshow". . . . .!!!

13. Golem2God

So far it has avoided those pitfalls from the scenes that I have viewed.

#13 Golem2God, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  14. Danger Rose

Danger Rose The Wrecking Belles

You can never go wrong with Hitokiri Battousai (Battousai el Destajador, for those of us here in Latin America). The Anime was very good.

15. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

You know how long has it been since the last time i had heard this particular version of his name? Too damn long! Now i wanna watch the series again :+1:

And yes, i'd get a not-Kenshin mini in a damn hurry :grinning:

Danger Rose and Golem2God like this.
  16. Golem2God

Since we currently don't have one, how would you go about converting a Kenshin using Infinity miniatures?

17. Danger Rose

Danger Rose The Wrecking Belles

Well, our local JSA player painted his Miyamoto Musashi mini as Kenshin (snipped the bun and green stuffed the hair). He also painted Yojimbo as Saito Hajime from the same Anime.

stevenart74, Golem2God and jherazob like this.
  18. stevenart74

O.K. so the consensus could be to do an Infinity Version of "Ruroni Kenshin"; could as well start with Him (along with the peculiar "not-so-Nihonjin" kind of Hairstyle "Fiery Mane of Flame-Red Hair) along with the cooler of the sidekicks of the Story (Sanosuke Sagara, the Pugilist with the "Horse Cutter" kind of "Titanblade Megasword", something You usually see JUST on a Melee T.A.G.). . .!!

To reflect the "Manga Story Effects" I could as well have them Veteran Cyborgs of the Kempeitai (as in "Shinsegumi Descendants" rather than WW2 Military Police) that now, honourably discharged after the Uprising is sussessful, see with growing preoccupation the increasing sadistic, darker side of the Organization spread amongst "Bushido Followers" as an insidious Moral Disease. . .

Kenshin will be a Cyborg Veteran with an Artficially Enhanced Neuralware with increased Sword-Extraction Speed, Improved Reflexes and an increased "Micrometer Precision" (Artificial Eyes perhaps ??) of the cut of the special, customized Hi-Tech Katana with the reversed edge (a sort of "Double Effect" kind of Infinity CC Weapon; Monomolecular on the Inside of the Crescent; a dull, non-lethal "Stun Shock" added effect on the outside of the Crescent) and maybe some sort of Long Ranged Gun (precision customized) when dishonourable foes target Kenshin from long ranges. . .

Sagara would be a similar "Cyber-Veteran" but with Artificial Arms optimized for "Punching Impacts" after He lost the organic originals with a wild brawl too much; some sort of "Shock Knuckles" that could also be put on "Dangerous Overdrive Mode" when facing truly devastating opponents, at the cost of risking a very painful "Neural Backlash" and self-destructive chain reactions, but increasing the devastating blows to Explosive / Armor-Piercing qualities (this will reflect the attitude of the Character, that in the Manga risk to lose many times its Arms and Hands with too much strikes against "Hard Targets"). . .

The Cybernetic Arms with increased strenght will also explain why a relatively standard Human Body is able to tote around, and swing some sort of "Mega-Sword" like it was a Character from "Monster Hunter" of "Final Fantasy 7"; as for ranged option, the Precision Marksmanship is nothing that a similar Character will ever consider (nor have the skillset to do). . .

More sensate would be a Drum-Clip Boarding Shotgun with an Underbarrell Grenade Launcher (to not only wreak Explosive Frag Damage, but also shoot Smoke to cover the approach and "Punch Foes In The Face" as the Character is wont). . .

. . . . .

For the "Wuxia" side I will stay instead with Lu-Bu, Titan-Class Lhost Body, armed with Teseum Polearm and H.M.G. + Combiflamer, mounted on the fearsome "Red Hare" spiked, extra-armoured "Stallion Combat Bike". . .

Golem2God and jherazob like this.
  19. DaRedOne

DaRedOne Morat Warrior Philosopher
    Warcor

20. stevenart74

Sifu Wong Fei Hung, along with its "Elder" Sifu Wo Yan Ja it is surely one of the most modern responsible of the diffusion of Martial Arts and in specific of the Southern Schools of Kung-Fu around (paving the road for Sifu Bruce Lee to export the beauty of Chinese Martial Arts into Western Culture) but I was searching expressively for "Myhtical Legends" to be used, either as Recreations or simply "Inspirational Role Models" by any "Honourable Warrior" of BOTH Yujing and "Free Japan Empire" to combat the creeping Imperialistic Dictatorial Attitude sparked by the fratricidal revolution. . .

Contemporary, Realistic heroes I have yet considered in a Thread about "Everyday Oriental Street Cops" while here I'm trying to imagine the Artistic Concepts of a kind of "Dynasty Warriors Versus Devil Kings", the two most famous "Musou Mode" kind of Videogames. . .

The first Serie shows ALMOST ALL of the innumerable "Heroes" of the Wuxia "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" starting with the Royal Courts of the warring "Rival Kingdoms" of Chin, Shao and Wu; while the second all "Sengoku Wars", kind of famous Japanese Warlords and Daymyos-Wannabe-Shoguns like Oda Nobunaga, Masamune Date, Hideyoshi Toyotomi and Takeda Shingen. . .

So I'm thinking more about an hypothethical "Detective Dee" squaring, in HONOURABLE Duel, against the "First" Hattori Hanzo, or Guan Yu against Sanada Yukimura, just to have an "Epic Infinity" in "Oriental Sauce" that could rival Achille's feats. . . . .!!!

Golem2God and jherazob like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation