1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hacking Area - An Illustrated Story

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Sabin76, Nov 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

Lifted wholesale and with no regrets from the previous forum. All credit for the content below goes to inane.imp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Elessar, Magonus, Macbain and 18 others like this.
  2. Old Spider

Old Spider Member

This is fantastic man thanks for putting this up

3. MAlgol

MAlgol I couldn't tackle the bear

In Scenario 6, If Alice tries to hack Charlie, will Bob get an ARO?
    This came up in yesterdays game and now we are unsure if Bob does.

4. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

In scenario 6, Bob gets ARO against Alice after she declares any short order, unless Alice has some sort of access to Stealth (camo, MA, etc...).
    So if Alice declares move (assuming she does not have/wnat to use Stealth), Bob has to declare ARO. Let's say Alice is a H+, Charlie is a HI and Bob is an Assault Hacker, and none has any ongoing effects (like IMM-1 or such):

1. Alice declares Move or Inaction.
    2. Bob MUST declare ARO. Let's say he says "Reset".
    3. Alice declares Gotcha!, and assigns 1 Burst to Bob and 1 to Charlie
    4. Charlie gets a Reset ARO inmediately, per the Reset rules. He chooses to declare Reset.
    5. Alice rolls against Bob (for example) and fails her WP, Bob's player does not roll the Reset for the sake of expediency.
      • If Bob were, for example, in IMM-1 state he would roll to try and remove the effect. Also, if Alice would have suceed but Bob had a better roll (let's say Alice rolls 5 and Charlie rolls 9), Bob would have gotten out of IMM-1 AND prevented the hack.
    6. Alice rolls against Charlie, a 14, while Charlie rolls a 2. Charlie is now IMM-1.

I hope this clears two or three situations, and answers your question ^^

Sabin76 likes this.
  5. MAlgol

Does Bob get an ARO because the Repeater is withing his ZoC and the Repeater counts as something that has been activated since its an extension of Alice's hacking area?

6. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

The rules of repeaters state:

To give it a "fluff" explanation:

Bob (a hacker) gets an ARO against Alice (an enemy hacker), and only Alice, because he is "snooping" the wireless traffic around the Repeater, and sees a spike of data as she does something that updates the Repeater's chip database, allowing Bob to pinpoint Alice's "local net adress" and direct his hacking attacks against her. However, it is difficult without specific gear (Killer Hacking Device), suffering interference from Firewalls.

The point is, Bob gets an ARO against any hacker he is an enemy to when they activate, while those hackers can target Bob. So the optimal course of action for Bob's player is to have 2-3 hackers (preferably KHD) inside the hacking area of an enemy hacker... or to have 2-3 hackers and bring a repeater to the enemy hacker's position (Iguana, pitchers, troops that carry an active repeater or one that can be planted...).

7. MAlgol

First I should add that I am talking about Alice in her Active turn.

Ok, perhaps I am slow but doesn't the wiki then say that Bob can't react to Alice's hacking attack on Charlie since they can't react to the repeater being used? If Alice had attacked Bob he would get an ARO but she is not.

8. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Nope, you were asking about Bob XD

You are mixing two concepts. In this case, Bob gets an ARO against any enemy hacker that activates, as long as Bob is inside of an enemy repeater. This is for any hacker standing inside an enemy Repeater's ZoC. What Bob can't do is ARO against the Repeater (for example, because he can see it and has a gun), because the Repeater has not been "activated" (by an order).
    Point is, if Bob tries to hack against Alice (instead of Reset) and Bob is not a Killer Hacker, then he suffers a -3 to his WP, and Alice gets a +3 to PB if he succeeds.

What you might be thinking is enemy hackable troops (non hacker) activating inside the ZoC of an enemy repeater while you have a hacker in the ZoC of that same repeater, but not the enemy troop.

9. MAlgol

This whole question came up because last game I had a Repeater (marker) with a enemy linkteam of three HI and also inside the Hacking Area, a hacker, and we became unsure if the hacker would get an ARO if I tried to hack one in the linkteam.

10. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

As far as I understand it, you are saying that there are 3 HI AND Bob inside of Alice's Repeater. So yeah, Bob gets "pinged" and gets an ARO against Alice when she tries something, no matter if Alice is at 20 or 90mc away.

MAlgol likes this.
  11. MAlgol

That is how it played out, thanks for clearing it out. =)

xagroth likes this.
  12. Wyrmnax

Wyrmnax Well-Known Member

Cant Alice also hack Bob on cenario 8?

13. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Yes, using Bob's repeater and suffering Firewall's mods (unless Alice carries a Killer Hacking Device).

14. Kwisatz Haderach

Kwisatz Haderach Zelenograd Shasvastii
    Warcor

Got a qustion regarding scenario 2. Situation was in TM mission.

If it's Alice turn - can Bob hack her with her repeater in ARO, if Alice declares supportware for example?
    If yes - Why?
    If no - Why?

15. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Yes. Being able to ARO through a repeater is not dependent on being the target of an attack, and you are able to hack another hacker through an enemy repeater if the enemy repeater is inside the hacker's ZOC. See the below added underline emphasis

http://infinitythewiki.com/en/Repeater

"Hackers can also attempt to hack through an enemy Repeater only if the Repeater is inside their Zone of Control. By doing this, they can perform hacking attempts against targets inside the Zone of Control of the enemy Repeater, and also against any enemy Hacker, but they suffer the Firewall MODs (a -3 MOD to their WIP Roll, while their target gets a +3 MOD to his BTS)."

Kwisatz Haderach likes this.
  16. Kwisatz Haderach

Warcor

Main argument - as an ARO - you can't declare that, cause Alice is not in ZoC of Bob.

17. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

The entire Hacking Area is treated as Bob's ZOC for the purposes of Hacking AROs.

Sabin76 likes this.
  18. Kwisatz Haderach

Warcor

I understand. But bob has only alice's repeater in his Hacking Area, not the Alice herself. So that brought out the question - why Alice Action gives Bob an ARO?

19. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Because Alice herself is considered to be part of the Hacking Area.

"This term refers to the Area of Effect of Hacking Programs"

This phrase is understood to mean that because Alice is in the Area of Effect of Bob's Hacking Programs she's part of his Hacking Area.

The rest of the sentence is an incomplete description of things that can put you in the Area of Effect of a Hacking Program.

No it's not as clear as it should be : @Hachiman Taro might know when it was interpreted as I described.

#19 inane.imp, Jul 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  20. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Might help?

http://infinitytheforums.com/forum/topic/31381-solved-stealth-hacking-and-you/?page=1

The Repeater is not using any skills/abilities/etc. It's the Hacker that is using the Repeater as an extension, thus it is the Hacker using the skill. Since, for all intents and purposes, the Hacker's ZoC is "extended" by the Repeater (another 8" bubble), the Hacker would need to detect the ZoC breach, which Stealth prevents: "Hackers in the same army list as the Repeater...can hack in the Zone of Control (8-inch radius) of the Repeater as if it were their own. In the same way, they can also react with Hacking Programs to enemy Orders declared in the Zone of Control of the Repeater as if it were their Zone of Control". (N3 140, my emphasis). Therefore Stealth applies.​

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation