1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guts Roll off a Reset

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Valmiir, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Valmiir

Valmiir Member

This came up in a recent tournament. Under the Effects of the Reset it says:
    • If the user wins the Face to Face WIP Roll, he may apply the Guts Roll rules.
    I found this rather strange since you typically only make Guts Rolls if you lose a F2F. However, if you then go to Requirements under Guts Roll it says:
    If you win the F2F with Reset then you certainly aren't making any ARM or BTS rolls and the first two requirements won't be met, but it does seem like there is a possibility to satisfy the third bullet point. Spotlight, for example, does not provoke ARM or BTS rolls and would seem to satisfy the third bullet point.

Does anyone know if this is the intention, a typo, or just CB being bad at words?

2. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

If you win the reset, then your opponent's attack, hacking program or non-lethal attack isn't successful.

Valmiir likes this.
  3. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Sure. But it's weird that it's there.

I'm certainly with @valmir in that it's plausibly suggesting that even if you win a FTF Reset you can make a Guts Rolls despite the fact none of the regular requirements for doing so are met. This changes some significant gameplay around Hacking.

Valmiir likes this.
  4. Valmiir

Valmiir Member

Good point. In that case, what part of the Guts Roll rule does Reset let you use?

I'm quite puzzled on the intent here.

5. Nemo No Name

Nemo No Name Aleph Cultural Atache

What?!

If you win Face-to-face using a Reset, the attack was not successful. Hence, you cannot use the third bullet point. The third bullet point is there to allow you Guts rolls in case somebody manages to Spotlight you.

6. Valmiir

Valmiir Member

Indeed, this is what @Mahtamori already said. My question is: what is the point of the above cited bullet point in Reset?

inane.imp likes this.
  7. Nemo No Name

Nemo No Name Aleph Cultural Atache

Aah, sorry. Now I get your question.

Yeah, I'm not sure but I guess it is just a mistake and should be "fails".

Valmiir likes this.
  8. macfergusson

macfergusson Van Zant is my spirit animal.

Let's say a Mutt just moved into your ZoC. On the next Order, he declares an Intuitive Attack with Jammer. If you declare a Reset to make it a Face to Face roll, and win the Face to Face, you can then use Guts rules to try and exit the "danger zone" which would be being within ZoC of the Jammer. It's an extra trigger for Guts added on to Reset specifically, I'm not sure why you would assume that it is somehow not only a mistake but also then redundant language.

9. Valmiir

Valmiir Member

But none of the requirements for Guts Roll are met. Are you saying that Reset is giving your exceptional permission to use the Effects of Guts Roll in this case? If so, then this applies to every successful reset, which is what I'm having a hard time getting on board with.

10. macfergusson

macfergusson Van Zant is my spirit animal.

It's either that or you assume the text is both wrong AND completely redundant, with no basis for doing so.

11. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Think of it as the comms attack equivalent of the 2" move you get to make when you dodge. (Except not quite as good)

12. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Except it's not the first time we've seen that (CC trait on stealth springs to mind).

OTOH it's interesting and useful.

It's also only relevant if you're inside 2" of the edge of the Danger Zone (which admittedly is often the case).

13. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

This isn’t the only case of “exceptional permission” in the rules. For instance, the requirement for Dodge (in the Dodge rules box) is:
    “The user must be able to draw LoF to the attacker.”
    How many exceptions to that requirement do I need to list? They start with template weapons and sixth sense.

And I think most of the time a GUTS move granted by a Reset is going to be useless, since it’s usually going to fall under the “danger area” section of GUTS.

Valmiir likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation