1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going second with MAF

Discussion in 'Combined Army' started by the huanglong, Feb 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. the huanglong

the huanglong Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to start painting and playing with my Morats but I just haven't found a list that I believe can reliably go second without pressing the most valuable attack pieces into ARO duty with no option of replacement because of their cost (eg Yaogat sniper).

Please share your experiences with going second!

Razi likes this.
  2. DaRedOne

DaRedOne Morat Warrior Philosopher
    Warcor

Well, it really depends on the mission. Recently I've been playing lots of LI lists and so I mostly have just a Q-Drone for ARO duty, but if you're not running LI, there are several options:

Linked Vanguard Missile Launchers are inexpensive and dangerous
    Linked Rodok Missile Launchers are just nasty (I've had a single, well placed RODOK ML take down 1/3rd of an enemy army once);
    Linked Snipers are pretty great, if a little expensive;
    Krakots make for useful flank defense if you are afraid of warbands;
    Ikadrons have flash pulses, so they can actually ARO at medium range and they aren't a problem if you lose them.

The biggest issue is none of our ARO pieces are fire and forget, but there are ways to play second.

the huanglong likes this.
  3. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

I just hide like a rat in a hole behind a dug-in line of jerks with chain rifles.

4. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

Same answers as most armies really.

MAF has access to the 6 man Vanguard link with an active HI HMG that works so well in PanO,
    so the ML, FO, FO, Combi, Combi, Suryat HMG Is a solid and dependable (if unimaginable) ARO set up

Then there is the Qdrone, the best TR Bot in the game by far due to its mimetism and combination with the best res unit in the game in doctor worm (and it needs minimal hacking support)
    After that theres always simple Flashpulse bots, only the Ikadron pulls double duty ARO with its Light Flamers and can obviously combo for B2 thanks to the Evo (Who gets B2 of its own for self preservation in ARO)

And then there is the softer means of slowing the enemy such as warband screens in Daturazi and Hungries, or the potential to work in a linked MSV MSR (even though its probably only the Haris due to cost)

DaRedOne and RobertShepherd like this.
  5. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

Minor point of order, the E-Drone doesn't benefit from its own Overclock.

(Otherwise all very good advice)

6. daboarder

Warcor

right no repeater, within its own hacking area, but does get overclocked

7. sorniak

sorniak Well-Known Member

It does not ... as it do not posses -repeater- piece of equipment...

EFFECTS
    • Overclock grants all the REMs with the Repeater piece of Equipment a Burst value of 2 in ARO.

About goin second... I'd agree to use of Missle Launcher linked vanguard or rodok. Total reactor drone is great, but depends on level of your opponent. Some experienced players know how to make -9\-12 to such ARO machines, so it is not so reliable. Overall, I think decent Aro in MAF is quite a problem.

8. DaRedOne

DaRedOne Morat Warrior Philosopher
    Warcor

Here's a list that I don't think would have a lot of problems going second:

Morat Aggression Force
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]10
    SURYAT Lieutenant HMG + TinBot A (Deflector L1) / Pistol, CCW. (2 | 45)
    MORAT Missile Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 19)
    MORAT (Forward Observer) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 15)
    RAKTORAK (NCO) Vulkan Shotgun / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 24)
    RODOK Missile Launcher, Light Shotgun / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 28)
    RODOK (Fireteam: Haris) Combi Rifle, 2 Light Shotguns / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 27)
    RODOK Hacker (EI Killer Hacking Device) Boarding Shotgun, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 22)
    MED-TECH OBSIDON MEDCHANOID Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 23)
    SLAVE DRONE Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)
    SLAVE DRONE Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]5 [​IMG]3
    KRAKOT RENEGADE 2 Chain Rifles, Grenades / Pistol, DA CC Weapon. (0 | 14)
    IKADRON (Baggage, Repeater) 2 Light Flamethrowers, Flash Pulse / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0 | 9)
    IKADRON (Baggage, Repeater) 2 Light Flamethrowers, Flash Pulse / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0 | 9)

5.5 SWC | 299 Points

Open in Infinity Army

You can leave 3 out of 5 of the vanguard link exposed, maybe even all of them if you're feeling lucky, and if one of them goes down you can still remake the link with the Raktorak. Same thing for the Rodok Haris. Meanwhile you can still push forward with all the krakots, and/or use them as defensive chaff if your oponent comes around with a skirmirsher or warband.

I'm not sure how well these guys do offensively, although that Suryat HMG will mulch most targets in the game, and I have used krakots as effective linebreakers many times. So yeah, it could work.

the huanglong likes this.
  9. Razi

Razi Well-Known Member

Full Auto Sogarat: 2W, AutoMedkit, Bioimmunity, Morat, PH15 Dodge, ARM6, -3FTF, and EXP ammo.

Putting the more expensive units into ARO duty is fine imo. Just keep it in reserve and don't place it in an area where your opponent can pick it off with little risk or expense to them. If you must go up against their best attacking piece, make them spend a lot of orders just getting into position to deal with it.

I assume most tables will have more than one important lane to contest. You may have to 'give up' one lane in favor of another. Don't spread yourself too thin.

10. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Q-Drone is where it's at.

11. daboarder

Warcor

Man double typo. Was trying to say does not. Thats embarrassing

sorniak and RobertShepherd like this.
  12. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

Just remember to put him in a place where he will be no more visible if (when) taken to unconscious. Like a parapet or similar.

Razi and Lesh' like this.
  13. Plex

Plex Taagma without a scheme

The problem isn't putting shots downrange in reaction, really. Morats can do that as well as any sectorial, better than some even. They just tie up more points than other sectorials doing so.

Enemies with camouflaged infiltrators will likely be able to operate in the midfield with impunity, terrain permitting. You could get a discover or two on them as they move between total cover, but they'll be able to secure objectives and prepare to make it hard for you to advance regardless. There's nothing morats can do about this in the reactive turn. Well, not nothing but nothing much. Zerats can try to slow things down, but they're not good at it and are expensive to risk.

Fortunately the recent changes have made it much more viable for Morats to assault fortified positions. You can't stop them from setting up, but you can protect your DZ with 'a dug in line of jerks with chain rifles' as RobertShepard suggests, and use them to blow open defenses for an investment similarly matched to the enemy's forward forces points-wise.

That's the only answer we've got, but it's not a bad answer anymore.

the huanglong and RobertShepherd like this.
  14. clever handle

clever handle Well-Known Member

I run this guy as a take all comers type list. If going second I'll decide based upon the mission, terrain and my opponent, whether I want to link up the hungries first or start with the rodoks up. The chain rifles & exploding puppies provide a decent ARO screen in the deployment zone, shotguns for when the enemy gets up close. If my opponent lacks long range punching power I may link up the rodoks and leave them out as ARO pieces

I try not to deploy ARO pieces out where they can get shot on the first order - I try to make my opponent advance for at least two full orders before they can get a meaningful lof

.... having trouble pasting from army right now...

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation