1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For lack of a better idea where this should go...

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Teslarod, Feb 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

Alright guys, let's talk unoffical Warcor FAQ stuff resolution for a second.

dear CB,

The document itself was faulty and the presentation of the project was a tad bit iffy to put it mildly.
    Not a fan, really.
    Stripping people of their Warcor status for abuse of their mostly imaginary privilege - understandable.

What doesn't sit right with me is the resolution. I've never seen anyone banned for pretty much anything on either of the CB forums, old as new.
    Here is about the only relevant rule we have to go by on the forums:

Good behaviour

Offensive, insulting, discriminatory, racist, sexist or aggressive posts will not be tolerated. You can disagree with someone and remain polite.

To say it blunt, this isn't enforced as far as I have seen. Like at all.
    4 Warcors involved in the creation of the unoffical Warcor FAQ were banned as users on the forums. I don't even know the names for two of them. Never met anyone of the 4 in person or talked as much as a word with them outside of a coincidential interaction in a forum thread.
    These are strangers to me.

Handing out a ban to @Alkasyn (or whatever his correct handle is) might actually be within the terms of the forums.
    But in that case there should be like 5 other people to be held accountable for failure to behave according to most basic rules of trying to be a decent human being on the other side of the argument.
    The two unnamed other Warcors I don't actually care or have a clue about.

But crucifying @nazroth for association with the project?
    Honestly what is this supposed to tell us? The worst I've seen from him in that thread was the guy defending himself from personal attacks. And that is before his outstanding contributions to the campaigns, the Nomad community, his work in painting and converting as well as for the game as a whole. I sure spend a lot of time on these forums yet still can't remember the guy getting angry in a discussion or forgetting his manners.

Which brings us back to what he was banned for as a forum user. It's none of this:
    Good behaviour

Offensive, insulting, discriminatory, racist, sexist or aggressive posts will not be tolerated. You can disagree with someone and remain polite.

Which is easy to tell because I've lost my temper or went a good bit too far with sarcasm and so have many others over the years. Yet no one even got a timeout as far as I am aware.
    A Warcor isn't some magical creature that owes anyone undivided loyality, nor a CB employee obliged by contract. That aside granting and stripping that privilige is your call.
    Still, denying the person behind the label entry to the community after this much contribution, for the single offense of being part of a project that went down the deep end, but most likely hadn't any ill will behind it for the sake of keeping up appearances?
    What message is that supposed to send for the other Warcors and the community?
    You can do better. Maybe you weren't quite aware, maybe the 4 of them quit on their own. Maybe this actually is no direct fault of yours. I don't know.

No matter what actually went down, sacrificing someone that has spent so much time to make the game a better place for everyone to the enraged mob is not what I'd call a sound decision. And that is what ultimately happened here.
    I sincerely hope this forum isn't gonna end up like the angsty places various Reddit and Facebook communities are. Where anything that doesn't suit the whims of the biggest fish in the muddy little pond is a banworthy offense just to retain the status quo.

And lastly, yo @nazroth, keep up the good work buddy. Hope we'll get you back soon and you'll see this somehow in the meantime. Had a blast with your in character stuff for the campaigns, you make this game better mate.

So long and thanks for listening.

Thandar, Tcional, JacobJ and 13 others like this.
  2. Dropkill

Dropkill Member

I disagree with you. They disparaged CB on public social media sites. Used CB IP to disparage the company in Videos on youtube and also break copy-write and tried to pass off a home-brew Faq as official using their Warcor status, they also decided to release it after COB on a Friday to minimise blow back. I mean the minimum requirement was for them to be stripped and banned as far as I can see.

3. Teslarod

See my friend, I'm not complaining about the decision as a whole.

Your "they" is what I complain about.

Giving the mob what it wants is what I disagree with.

Not having the spine to handle anything for years and then dropping nukes on someone that has contributed more to the game than you and I ever will is what I'm legit mad about.

Not being a Warcor anymore is fine, but getting locked out of your account is a shitty move.

n21lv, theradrussian, Lesh' and 5 others like this.
  4. Dropkill

Dropkill Member

Sorry but you have no idea what I have contributed to the game. Please don't assume anything. Also there is more to this story than you know I think. I mean there is a whole forum section we arent privy to where I think some stuff was said that shouldn't have been said.

chromedog likes this.
  5. jimbo slice

jimbo slice Well-Known Member

I would have thought I would have got a ban before those two (or four, whatever).

coleslaw, RogueJello and Teslarod like this.
  6. Teslarod

I beg you pardon, but did you intentionally base your argument on "don't assume XYZ" there or am I hallucinating because it's like 2am.
    Not even sure how to take that seriously, I'm really sorry but this has me giggling way too hard so I'll excuse myself for the night.

Feel free to get some sources for what you mentioned and send me a PM please, that sounds like I should catch up on it.
    Not the videos tho, I'm well aware of those, CB had a solid sense of humor last time I checked and those were actually funny no matter how big the garbage fire related to it.

Guess we can always start a club or something.:upside_down_face:

#6 Teslarod, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Lesh', Wolf, coleslaw and 3 others like this.
  7. Dropkill

Dropkill Member

Not an argument. You said he has done more for the community than you or I i was just stating that is probably not true thats all.

chromedog likes this.
  8. FatherKnowsBest

FatherKnowsBest Red Knight of Curmudgeon

9. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

Given that I was away for the weekend and became aware of the whole drama only after seeing CB's statement - wtf exactly happened? From what I understand the main problem was with the video the Warcors in question posted on yt (I think nazroth was the main creator) - which was suggesting the faq was at least semi-official - and subsequent shitstorm in the comments? I have no idea what happened there, it was already taken down by the time I wanted to check it.

I agree that banning people from the forums, especially for something they've posted somewhere else, is going too far. From the comments I saw many people in the Polish community had become pretty bitter about the game (which might or might not say much, as people here are bitter about everything most of the time).

One thing I wouldn't say is that CB's reaction was a form of collective judgement and appeasing the mob. But I'd really want to know more before taking a stance.

10. jimbo slice

There were threads posted in several places on the forums too. The response wasn't very positive here, either.

11. oldGregg

oldGregg Well-Known Member

@Stiopa I don't believe CB reacted to appease the mob. I think they reacted in such a manner because the offending party, (especially those who were apparently banned [I only know for sure that some lost Warcor status]), were actively tarnishing CB's public image. Whether you like CB (and how they have handled past situations) or not, my best guess points to this.

Some may not think the actions taken warrant a ban, but a company should defend their brand.

Personally, I wish CB had put an end to it sooner, (I would have in their position), but I understand they are a small company. However, I do agree with many who play Infinity the Game and believe that CB should improve upon their rules governance strategy. Especially concerning FAQs and community relations.

#11 oldGregg, Feb 6, 2019
    Lothair and daboarder like this.
  12. Pierzasty

Pierzasty Null-Space Entity

Wait... They banned them from the forums? As in the public ones? I thought it was only a removal of Warcor status and access to the secret Warcor forum.

As a mostly impartial observer who has no idea what happened on the warcor forums, my impression is that CB panicked and immediately went for the nuclear option of punishing whoever was involved in making the FAQ. It's not complete and probably partly wrong, but it's definitely not a good impression. It suggests that Warcors have to be uncritical shills and nothing more, and/or that fan initiative is only accepted when it helps grow the business.

Also, the Uprising was one isolated clusterfuck. This is a second incident with no advantage to any side whatsoever*. It suggests a worrying pattern.

* I like the way someone summed up: "Tldr: Corvus Belli, warcors, and players compete to see who is worse on a regular basis"

BLOODGOD, Berjiz, Furiat and 7 others like this.
  13. FatherKnowsBest

FatherKnowsBest Red Knight of Curmudgeon

14. jimbo slice

If they were outright banned as opposed to losing their Warcor status, I think that might be a little over the top. Even though I was vehemently opposed to what they were doing, I'm 100% sure it was coming from a good place. And I feel a little bad for them too, because I was so vocal about my opposition and I was very liberal with my use of swear words. At one point I basically dared the mods to hit me with a banhammer. Didn't even get a PM warning...

I do hope CB is drowning in shame right now, though. Most of the issues in that document could have been answered by them in less than a week. We already do most of the work for them in the rules forum, they just need to tell us which of the two or three interpretations are right and issue an answer. And I hope that they're ashamed that they punished Warcors, and that the reason they had to do that is because they can't even be bothered to make rulings.

Berjiz, n21lv, Wolf and 3 others like this.
  15. Pierzasty

Minimum? Just for curiosity's sake, what were the harsher options? Lawsuits? Beheading? Flaying? Burning at the stake?

And who exactly are you to claim a position of implied authority? Because as far as I can see, you're just another random forum user.

Just like you weren't quick to assume malicious intent behind posting the FAQ on Friday, as opposed to say, Friday being the day when the week workload ends and people have more free time for hobby-related stuff? I'm not certain about it myself, but it seems a much simpler explanation than assuming conspiracy.

What did you just say about assuming?

#15 Pierzasty, Feb 6, 2019
    JacobJ, Wolf, coleslaw and 1 other person like this.
  16. Pierzasty

*moved content to previous post*

17. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

CB's resolution of the situation seemed perfectly reasonable and even-handed to me.

Lothair, Dropkill, Commoner1 and 4 others like this.
  18. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

That's pretty much what I was saying, with the caveat that yes, I feel that banning them from the forums was too harsh. But - again - I wasn't able to read the offending discussions, so I'm not able to formulate an informed opinion on it. It very well might be that it was justified, especially given that from what I'm hearing the whole release was presented as getting the game out of some predicament CB put it in, and that some personal attacks on CB staff were involved.

See, while I understand that this ban comes as a shock, it's pretty much the indiscriminate use of language like "uncritical shills" that prepared the ground for that. Let's be honest, there's a lot of that flying around, after any real or imagined slight, no matter how minor. "New sectorial isn't exactly 100% what I wanted! CB sucks, and everyone that defends them is a hopeless fanboy!" And the fact that after this particular issue some people on fb go along the line "CB screwed up by not releasing FAQ on regular basis, and then punished people that were trying to fix this" - which from what I see completely misses the point - doesn't make me particularly sympathetic to their cause.

BLOODGOD, Xeurian, barakiel and 6 others like this.
  19. Pierzasty

Except that it's exactly what's visible to the general public, because of scarce of unclear information. If there was actual doxxing or threats leveled at CB employees (which I myself would give someone a swift kick in the ass for), we don't know it except that it was something unacceptable/objectionable/other term for "thing that we didn't like". So the ignorant populace is left to wonder what exactly happened. Did those punished actually dox or threaten CB employees? Maybe only one of them did that, and the rest got punished because of association? Did CB do it to protect their copyright/assets? Or because those Warcors didn't toe the party line laid out on the secret Warcor forums? We don't know.

#19 Pierzasty, Feb 6, 2019
    Berjiz, Teslarod, n21lv and 2 others like this.
  20. oldGregg

oldGregg Well-Known Member

I assumed this in the beginning, but I think it all just got out of hand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation