1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fireteam majority ARO question

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by QueensGambit, Mar 21, 2019.

1. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

I'm having some confusion about how fireteam AROs work.

I have a core link of five Ghulams, A B C D and E. On my opponent's turn, the fusilier Angus moves into LoF of Ghulam A.

I think all five Ghulams declare BS attack against Angus. Only A actually shoots, the rest of them idle because they lack LoF, but the fireteam stays together because they all declared the same ARO. Is that accurate?

Now, suppose there is a mine that has Ghulams D and E in its trigger area. Angus again moves into LoF of Ghulam A, which declares BS attack.

Can D and E declare no ARO, to avoid setting off the mine? If so, do they leave the fireteam because they didn't declare BS attack?

Thanks in advance!

2. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

In both cases only A declared an ARO. In reactive each member declares ARO Independently.

You can't declare 'Idle' as an ARO. Your options are:
    Don't have an ARO
    Do nothing
    Delay against specific marker
    Delay due to SSL1
    Declaring an ARO

Re: the question. Since only A declared an ARO the Fireteam ARO is BS Attack and since none of the other troopers declared anything counter to that Fireteam integrity isn't affected.

#2 inane.imp, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    JoKeR, Cry of the Wind and Xeurian like this.
  3. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

No. Fireteam members don’t have collective AROs. They are treated as independent troopers for generating and declaring AROs.

When Fusilier Angus moves into LoF of Ghulam A, Ghulam A gets an ARO.

Your scenario doesn’t happen because D and E don’t have AROs.

There’s a similar situation, though: Ghulam A declares its BS Attack ARO and you discover that that sets off the mine. You discover to your horror that the template covers A, D and E.

D and E, because they don’t have AROs yet, can declare Dodge against the mine.

If they do declare AROs, A, D and E (and no else in the fireteam have AROs later in the order) get subject to the Fireteam ARO majority rules, and you kick out whoever declared a non-majority ARO.

If A declares BS Attack, and D and E declare Dodge, then A gets kicked out. B and C don’t have AROs so they remain in regardless.

If A declares BS Attack and D declares Dodge (E declines), then you choose between the tie to determine majority and kick out the loser. You might choose this option if you really need A to be in the fireteam but still want D to try to avoid the mine.

Robock and Cry of the Wind like this.
  4. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

Got it, thanks!

I was confused because I thought there was some sort of anti-fireteam tactic where you place a mine to threaten some of the team, then force an ARO by attacking a different member of the team. Possibly because of the line "If a Defensive link is castled up, use a mine to knock out a non-reacting element when you face the team" in the Gricks' fiday guide. I guess he must have just meant that you can place the mine so that when one of the team members triggers it, it also hits other members hidden behind them.

5. meikyoushisui

meikyoushisui Competitor for Most Ignored User

This is still a thing -- if you put a mine looking at two guys, and then look out at a third guy, if he declares BS attack, the other two guys get hit by the mine unless they dodge. Since neither 1 or 2 is a majority of the fireteam, your opponent would have to choose Dodge or BS Attack as the "Fireteam's ARO", and anyone who didn't do that thing would leave the fireteam.

6. inane.imp

No, that doesn't work.

"In the Reactive Turn, all the Fireteam members have their own ARO to any Order declared in that member's LoF or ZoC. " This means each member of the Fireteam is activated individually. This is different to the Active where the whole Fireteam is activated and members not performing a Support Skill will Idle.

So if you have a mine covering B and C and proc and ARO from A then the mine doesn't go off.

What you need to do is have a mine covering A, B and C and then proc and ARO from any one of those three. This causes the Mine to trigger and hits the other two, who gain the opportunity to Dodge.

In the Active if you have a mine covering B and C, if you activate the Fireteam with A as the leader and declare BS Attack then the mine will trigger and hit B and C. Neither B nor C will have an opportunity to Dodge.

Xeurian and RobertShepherd like this.
  7. radka

radka Member

I'll ask a similar question about a situation that came up in a game tonight, though we didn't think about it until after the game. Reactive player had a 5 man fireteam including a hacker and 2 missile launchers. I attempted to drop in a Yuan Yuan near the team out of line of fire. The hacker AROed with hack transport aircraft and won the face to face. Dispersion placed the Yuan Yuan at a point in LoF to the missiles. If they declare ARO BS attack does that kick the hacker out of the link since it is considered the same order?

8. WarHound

WarHound Well-Known Member

In this situation I would go with yes, as the two MLs have the majority link team ARO; anything else done by other members of the link will drop them from the link temporarily.

ijw likes this.
  9. inane.imp

It's explicitly covered in the Fireteam Integrity rules:

"When any Fireteam member declares an ARO different from the Fireteam's ARO, then the players must consider the Fireteam's ARO to be the one declared by more than half of the declaring ARO Fireteam members.For example, in a five member Fireteam where only three of them declare an ARO, if two members declare one kind of ARO, and the third one declares a different ARO, this member will automatically leave the Fireteam.When there is no majority of ARO, for example, if the three members each declare a different ARO, then the player can choose which one is considered to be the Fireteam's ARO, while the other two members will automatically leave the Fireteam."

Remember though:

"If the Fireteam has not been cancelled, then the troopers who left will automatically be able to rejoin it if they are again in Coherency with the Team Leader during the Order Count phase of their next Active Turn."

WarHound, Mahtamori and Xeurian like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation