1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Figuring out my very first list

Discussion in 'ALEPH' started by Socratease, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Socratease

Socratease New Member

Hey y'all! New player here, looking to get into Infinity by starting up an Aleph army! Only problem is, I have a lot of enthusiasm and absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I've watched some games, read a lot of wiki articles and various tactica, but never actually played a game of Infinity.

So far I've gone through the catalogue and picked out the models that appeal to me aesthetically, and wrote up short summaries on their capabilities as a kind of study project: link

I do have a couple of ideas for what I'd like to try, also!
    • I know I very much want to bring Atalanta, and am strongly leaning towards an Asura hacker as my Lieutenant. It also feels like it could be a good idea to bring a second model that has an available Lieutenant profile, so it's less obvious which one is the actual Lieutenant? Leaning towards a Dasyu.
    • I am quite interested in a hacker-heavy list. I was originally a bit meh on Infinity since I'm used to the thought of having 'casters' of some kind, but then I discovered hacking and deployable weapons, so that was p much my one reservation taken care of.
    • So that means I should probably bring some Tactbots, I think! I am also terribly tempted by the Samekh, because thunderous artillery is my jam in a big way. I also like the idea of an EVO Bot and a hit squad of Garuda Tactbots, but they probably wouldn't often be in a position to receive supportware, I hear?
    • The Mk. 1, 2, and 3 Posthuman Proxies are super cute, but somewhat intimidating rules-wise.
    • Andromeda has a big robot cat!
    There are so many choices and so many factors to consider! So I guess, how do you figure out a proper list?

2. oldGregg

oldGregg Well-Known Member

Does anyone play in your area? Or do you have a friend starting with you?

I would suggest going to a local game store and asking for a demo. If not that, than getting a starter box along with a friend and playing games with that until you are comfortable with the rules.

3. Socratease

Socratease New Member

There is a play group at my local game store, yeah. Someone's offered to run me through a demo game next time it meets, it's all good. c:

oldGregg likes this.
  4. kinginyellow

kinginyellow Well-Known Member

Here is a basic little list that does the things that you asked for and you can play with and tweak as you grow:

[​IMG] ALEPH
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────
    [​IMG]10
    [​IMG] ASURA Lieutenant Hacker (Hacking Device Plus UPGRADE: Redrum) Combi Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, AP CCW. (0.5 | 72)
    [​IMG] ATALANTA MULTI Sniper Rifle + TinBot E (Spotter) / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 39)
    [​IMG] PROXY Mk.1 Doctor (MediKit) Combi Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 10)
    [​IMG] YUDBOT Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)
    [​IMG] PROXY Mk.2 Hacker (Assault Hacking Device) Boarding Shotgun, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 21)
    [​IMG] PROXY Mk.4 Heavy Rocket Launcher, Submachine Gun, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (2 | 20)
    [​IMG] DASYU Hacker (Killer Hacking Device) Combi Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 37)
    [​IMG] ZAYIN Rebot HMG / Electric Pulse. (1 | 26)
    [​IMG] THORAKITES Engineer Combi Rifle, Nanopulser, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 18)
    [​IMG] MYRMIDON Chain Rifle, Nanopulser, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, AP CCW. (0 | 16)
    [​IMG] DAKINI Tacbot Paramedic (MediKit) Combi Rifle / Electric Pulse. (0 | 15)
    [​IMG] LAMEDH Rebot Flash Pulse, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)
    5.5 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

loricus likes this.
  5. Socratease

Socratease New Member

Gosh! Thanks a bunch! I think I can see the reasoning behind each included troop, and that's very cool! I really appreciate this!

Using that list as a template, here's a first draft of my own list, very similar, but with more models I like the look of, personally. I'd appreciate any feedback!

[​IMG] Aleph List 0.1

[​IMG]10
    [​IMG] ASURA Lieutenant Hacker (Hacking Device Plus UPGRADE: Redrum) Combi Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, AP CCW. (0.5 | 72)
    [​IMG] ATALANTA MULTI Sniper Rifle + TinBot E (Spotter) / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 39)
    [​IMG] MYRMIDON Chain Rifle, Nanopulser, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, AP CCW. (0 | 16)
    [​IMG] DASYU Hacker (Killer Hacking Device) Combi Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 37)
    [​IMG] PROXY Mk.1 Doctor (MediKit) Combi Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 10)
    [​IMG] PROXY Mk.2 Hacker (Assault Hacking Device) Boarding Shotgun, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 21)
    [​IMG] PROXY Mk.3 Spitfire, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (2 | 21)
    [​IMG] LAMEDH Rebot Flash Pulse, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)

5.5 SWC | 298 Points

Open in Infinity Army

I am not a fan of the Mk. 4/5 Proxy models, so the Mk. 3 gets in instead, and I am pleased to have a second heavy infantry model. Heavy infantry is cool.

Choosing line units is hard. Most of the Steel Phalanx infantry look pretty dull, though even that doesn't outweigh the benefit of having the Myrmidon to give Atalanta some smoke cover. Though not including an Engineer with all these robots around seems like it could come around to bite me. I might see if I can find some way to squeeze in a Sophotect?

(Man, now I immediately want to make, like, five more lists.)

loricus likes this.
  6. kinginyellow

kinginyellow Well-Known Member

I would still recommend the mk4 profile. If you aren't a fan of the model, just use the mk3 model as a (wait for it) proxy xD

But the mk4 is a stronger aro piece and that is something I felt is kinda missing.

Also mk1 and thor engineer is cheaper than soph, and the mk1 is a significantly better fighter than soph.

7. Nemo No Name

Nemo No Name Aleph Cultural Atache

Couple of suggestions:
    • don't run Asura HD+, she's crap (:cry:) unless you know the game very well (she's still crap then, but at least you can work around it); take the Spitfire version if you really must take an Asura (she's nowhere close her 70 point tag, but Spitfire is nearest). I guess since she has to be Lt, take MULTI Rifle
    • proxy the Mk.III as Mk.IV. Hugely more useful and capable
    • don't bother with Lt alternatives. There isn't much options for Lts in Aleph, and taking just the real Lt is hard enough. That's why the troops are tough (or are supposed to be tough)
    • I strongly prefer Engineer over Doctor, but suit yourself

Wyrmnax likes this.
  8. Nenyx

Nenyx Well-Known Member

I suggest you play several games with 150-200 pts "standard" lists before trying to play with hackers. Hackers can be very good, but they are an advanced rule, and there are already many things to grasp in the game. If you still want to play with hackers, start with the EVO (the easiest hacker to use since it's just a support) and some REM to buff with assisted fire or overclock. I suggest you take a zayin and a dakini HMG plus some standard dakinis for cheap orders. They are good pieces. They have some weakness, but you'll soon learn of it.

If you like garudas, that's a good choice :) Airborne deployment troops can be tricky to use, especially those REM, but they can win the game by themselves. As you said, most of the time they won't have any support. Don't bother, they don't need it, they are that good.

Proxy the Mk4. I don't like the Mk4 model either, but the troop is totally worth it, and she is one of the few troops that can really benefit from a medic. Put her behind some small wall so that she can fall prone behind it when unconscious and heal her.

Many other armies can hide their Lt. You can't. Most of the time you will have only one or two Lt choice. And often even if you have several miniatures that can be Lt, the real Lt will be obvious. You will have to learn playing with it. Don't bother hiding who is your Lt, and rather learn to play with an obvious Lt. Fortunately, our Lt are all sturdy and powerful. As long as you are careful not to expose them, killing them is no easy task. And since this Lt is obvious, use the Lt order.

Deltervees likes this.
  9. Káosz Brigodéros

Káosz Brigodéros Vanguard, Inc.

Just to toss my 5 eurocents into the conversation:
    I recommend to take Machaon. He is not exactly cheap (38 points and 0.5 SWC) but you get 1) a WIP15 doctor 2) an able gunfighter thanks to his averagish statline and ODD 3) an above average close combat fighter 4) a decoy luitenant (most opponent will believe he is the real Lt) and 5) access to Eclipse grenades and in general 6) a sturdy trooper thanks to No Wound Incapacitation.
    Actually he is a pretty damn good Lt choice! But if you want to go with Asura hacker Lt (I understand you are insisting to take her) he is a good decoy. Too bad the first time you use the Lt order (you will quickly find out 10-order lists are starving to use the 11th order...) that will reveal who the real Lt is. Fortunately during depolyment your opponent will not know which one is the Lt and consequently there will be a far less chance your opponent will orchestrate an early hit on the Lt.
    To get an Engineer take the other Proxy Mk.I!

10. Káosz Brigodéros

In the following list all three of the first troopers are eligible Lt choices:
    [​IMG] Aleph

[​IMG]10
    [​IMG] DEVA Combi Rifle, Nanopulser + Devabot / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 27)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] DEVABOT Heavy Flamethrower / Electric Pulse. (4)
    [​IMG] MACHAON Combi Rifle, Nanopulser, Eclipse Grenades / Pistol, DA CCW. (0.5 | 38)
    [​IMG] PROXY Mk.1 Engineer Combi Rifle, Nanopulser, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 10)
    [​IMG] PROXY Mk.5 (Forward Observer) 2 Submachine Guns, Nanopulser, E/M Grenades / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 10)
    [​IMG] NETROD . (0 | 4)

4 SWC | 299 Points

Open in Infinity Army

As a rule of thumb: If one trooper can be Lt chances are pretty high your opponent will go after him. If you field two eligilbe Lt, chances are far less (I would say 50-50). If you field three, your opponent will not bother.
    I hope this helps.

11. Socratease

Socratease New Member

I really appreciate everybody's feedback and advice! I realized that part of living my best life would be to bring a Garuda and EVO Hacker, so I carved out a bit of space, moved some things around, and the latest draft of the list looks like this:

[​IMG] Aleph List 0.3

[​IMG]10
    [​IMG] PROXY Mk.3 Spitfire, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (2 | 21)
    [​IMG] DAKINI Tacbot Combi Rifle + Light Grenade Launcher / Electric Pulse. (1 | 17)
    [​IMG] GARUDA Tacbot Combi Rifle / Electric Pulse. (0 | 22)
    [​IMG] PROBOT Hacker (EVO Hacking Device) Electric Pulse. (0.5 | 25)
    [​IMG] NETROD . (0 | 4)

6 SWC | 299 Points

Open in Infinity Army

I'm starting to see the point in bringing the Mk. 4 Proxy, especially now that I've apparently dumped the Zayin and am in need of a clear ARO piece. Just gotta talk myself into it, maybe think of something I can do either to make the Mk. 3 model look different, or the Mk. 4 model look better.

There was space for two Garudas, and I may still try to make that work, because the thought of air-dropping a squad of cool robots to do murder is very appealing, but that put me down to 9 orders, which seems like very few orders. I suppose I could cut the Dasyu to free up some points?

I may be getting a bit greedy, wanting to Do All The Things. Ideally everything should be in the list for a reason, in order to fulfill a clear plan for winning, right? I should define a premise and stick to it. So tomorrow I'm gonna try and build a list more around what drew me to Aleph in the first place: Cool cyborg ladies doing rad hi-tech things.

Káosz Brigodéros likes this.
  12. Káosz Brigodéros

The list is not bad, give it a try!
    The Proxy Mk I badly needs a Yudbot. You should do your best to shave off 2 points.
    The Combi Rifle Garuda is a suboptimal choice. Either go cheap and bring the BS profile (+6 range band and AP/template is pretty good for close-quarter firefighting) or dream big and invest in a HMG! (To get the needed SWC I would drop the LGL and bring a secound Paramedic Dakini.)
    Not a big fan of Dasyu (and TO camo troopers in general) in a single combat group list, so considering to scrap him for someone else is not a bad idea. Seen Nagas?
    Feel free to try out every trooper you like! Just not in the same list. After a couple of games you will see which one you really like and can start mixing and maching them.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation