1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FAQ 1.2 Minelayer

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Mahtamori, Jan 28, 2022.

1. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

The new FAQ entry states that the Zone of Control of the Minelayer "must" be measured.

Is it intentional to remove any shadow of a doubt who and where the Minelayer is in this way?

E.g.
    Crocman Minelayer deploys near a Heating Unit in Hidden Deployment. Player places a mine in Camouflaged state next to the Heating unit. Player sticks down a measuring stick on an empty stairs near the Heating unit and measures that; yes the mine is indeed about 2" away from the Crocman's position and tells the opponent "this camouflage Marker is within Zone of Control of this empty piece of terrain right here".

2. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

For minelayers in camo state, it seems pretty unambiguous that you have to measure, which discloses which unit is the trooper and which is the mine. Surprising, but hard to imagine it's not intended given it's such an obvious result of the FAQ entry.

For minelayers in hidden deployment, since the placement of the trooper is hidden, I can at least see an argument that the mandatory ZoC measurement would also be hidden. So you'd do the usual "please turn around while I maybe place hidden deployment," then when they turn back, "while placing hidden troopers I placed this camo marker here."

So they would know it's a mine placed by a hidden minelayer, but not what spot the minelayer is in.

3. Mahtamori

Measurements are not part of the private information, though.

4. QueensGambit

Yup, I can definitely see that argument too. You may be right. I guess it's not the end of the world, you still can't get at them without Sensor even if you know where they are.

5. Delta57Dash

Delta57Dash Well-Known Member

Yup; seems that this change makes HD Minelayers pretty pointless (as your opponent will now know where they are) and deals a real haymaker to TAK Camo Shenanigans (as you now *HAVE* to measure from the *real* Strelok to the mine, which reveals both).

... Not sure what to think about this. On one hand this really hurts certain factions (TAK), but on the other it takes away a lot of "gotcha" moments that tended to create NPEs.

I think this should've been part of a greater rules rework to give some power back to the factions that are losing power here.

6. archon

archon Well-Known Member

Once a opponent tricked me, with a reserve troop in form of a camo marker on a flank. Two turns I tried to cover the flank for the advcance of a mine ... :sweat_smile: but otherwise, now you will be always accurate :grimacing:

7. PappaChu

PappaChu Well-Known Member

Couldn't you also just check the ZoC of the mine / decoy during deployment? During deployment this is fairly common anyway, both in rules (coherency, checking no camo is in the trigger area of the mine, etc) as well as in play, at least in my meta

Seems the intention here is to ensure people aren't placing their mines outside of ZoC, not to reveal which camo marker is which

8. Mahtamori

You're not allowed to measure the ZOC of the mine/Koala/MadTrap etc

9. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

I would have thought the purpose of this FAQ was to allow players to place their deployables within 8 and not accidentally lose them. This seems like a pretty silly outcome to be honest.

10. Weathercock

Weathercock Well-Known Member

This just reads as an assassination on minelayer roulette, that's all I can get out of it at the moment. I hope I (and the bulk of us in this thread) are reading into it wrong. This would be an awful ruling.

Triumph likes this.
  11. kinginyellow

kinginyellow Well-Known Member

So ignoring the hd side of the discussion for a moment. You effectively have to say that 1 camo trooper is tge dude, and one camo is mine. But you will not effectively convey which one is which cause you do not convey which model is "from" and which is "to" in their relationship

12. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

On a strict reading, its pretty obvious who is who;

"The player must measure the ZoC of his/her Minelayer during the Trooper’s Deployment before placing the Deployable Equipment or Weapon"

Minelayer is placed. ZoC is measured. Mine is placed.

Abrilete, Lawson and QueensGambit like this.
  13. Savnock

Savnock Nerfherder

That application of the rules is terrible. "The player must measure the ZoC of his/her Minelayer during the Trooper’s Deployment before placing the Deployable Equipment or Weapon"... ugh, nasty unintended consequences, which should be pretty obvious.

If you could just measure -from the mine-, it would be better at least. Requirement to check an 8" radius around the mine with both players watching; opponent can see where the potential Minelayers can be. Distances are clear, without betraying who is the Minelayer, or the position of HD troops. And one could always measure from -every- camo marker, jsut to play headgames about what is actually a mine, to lessen that blow.

Minelayer didn't need to be gimped: Infinity is a playable game only when reactive-turn players have some sort of resistance to alphastrikes and ROFLstomps.

This is definitely a step backwards. Well worth houseruling to be played the other way, in local clubs or friendly tourneys.

14. QueensGambit

Full premeasuring during deployment would indeed solve the minelayer problem without giving away any information. I would support that change.

But, under the current rules it's pretty clear that measuring is only allowed when the rules permit it, so you can't fake your minelayer measurements to preserve the identity of your mines.

15. Mahtamori

Also means, btw, that it's a pretty big no-no to move your minelayer unit once you've measured ZoC for the mine.

Savnock, Delta57Dash and QueensGambit like this.
  16. QueensGambit

Excellent point. I hadn't thought about it, but you're right. Minelayer is like booty and metachem now, it fixes the model's location once used.

17. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

I am not sure I dislike the change, it does ruin my Trinitarian Tertiary minelayer placing a Dart like camouflage marker, on the other hand, with camouflaged minelayers what is a mine, what is not a mine can easily be abused especially when the camouflage markers are not distinct from each other.

18. Mahtamori

Are we supposed to employ this same logic when deploying Decoys?

19. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Good question, I do, they have to be deployed the same time and they must be in zone of control.

Gwynbleidd and Savnock like this.
  20. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

It would make sense that this ruling would apply to anything else with a ZoC range, such as decoy or a peripheral Antipode on the Strelok.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation