1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engaged state cancellation help.

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by deltakilo, Oct 13, 2018.

1. deltakilo

deltakilo Bear of Butcher bay
    Warcor

• At the Conclusion of an Order, the Engaged state can be cancelled when all of a trooper’s adversaries are in Null or Immobilized state. When this happens, the trooper’s player must decide whether to keep the Engaged state, or cancel it by separating the trooper by 1mm from the adversaries. (From FAQ 1.4, Sep 2018)

My question is. Can I cancel the engaged state in my ARO turn? Initially I thought no (probably a holdout to how it used to work) then at a recent event someone pointed to the wording suggesting you could cancel engaged active or ARO provided all enemies were in a null state.

Can someone confirm for me?

2. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

From the Wiki.

FAQ 1.2 said this:
    "Q: When a trooper enters the Unconscious state does this cancel the Engaged state?
    A: The Engaged state can be cancelled when all the adversaries of the active troop are in Null or Immobilized states."

Whereas FAQ 1.4 it was changed to say this:
    "Q: The second bullet of the Engaged state the text should be:
    A: At the Conclusion of an Order, the Engaged state can be cancelled when all of a trooper’s adversaries are in Null or Immobilized state. When this happens, the trooper’s player must decide whether to keep the Engaged state, or cancel it by separating the trooper by 1mm from the adversaries."

So, yes, you can do it as the Reactive Trooper.

@ijw can you remove superceded FAQs from the Wiki? The 1.2 text shouldn't be there as it's not in the latest version of the FAQ and it's potentially confusing if you don't know the history.

ijw likes this.
  3. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

The part I’m not sure about is whether a reactive player trooper could cancel engagement at the end of an order it didn’t have an ARO during.
    In other words, a cunning Shaasvastii trooper knocks an Earthling unconscious using a CC ARO, doesn’t cancel Engaged at the end of that order to avoid being fired upon (all of the available shots are at BS2 to BS4) but decides to cancel Engaged when a trooper gets close enough to be a danger. Or waits until the last order to cancel Engaged so it doesn’t have to spend an Order disengaging in its active turn.

inane.imp likes this.
  4. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

I think the "When this happens" means "when all of a Troopers opponent's go into a Null or IMM state".

So the decision needs to be made at the conclusion of an order where the Null/IMM state is caused, but the Trooper doesn't need to have been activated.

So, your example is a non-example: the decision has already been made.

Whereas this a correct example:
    Ann is Engaged with Bob. Charlie successful IMMs Bob, Ann can choose to stay Engaged or move the putative 1mm at the end of the Order.

solkan likes this.
  5. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

Exactly. During any other Order isn't when it happened.

P.S. All instances of the old FAQ entry should now be struck-through on the wiki.

BLOODGOD, solkan and inane.imp like this.
  6. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

I would have preferred a more explicit wording like "at the end of the order in which...", but this is still a clearer FAQ than the previous one.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation