1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

double shot on mine dispender.

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Alithear, Sep 11, 2022.

1. Alithear

Alithear Member

hello dear cummunity. here i have a simple question but between language maybe i'm wrong. In my community they affirm to me to i'm wrong.

mine dispender on gator have rules double shot:
    mine dispender : Speculative Attack, Disposable (2), Double Shot, Targetless, [*see above] And Burst 1.

this rules said:

Double Shot
    This weapon or piece of Equipment can apply a +1 MOD to its Burst value. If it also possesses the Disposable (2) Trait, this Burst MOD can only be applied if both uses remain unspent. Applying this MOD will expend both uses, putting the Trooper in Unloaded State.

I understand this rules like that:

if i fire with my mine dispender and if i have 2 ammunition. I put 2 mine token on the field.( if i pass the double dice for hit ofc). And after i'm unloaded.

If i fire with my mine dispender and i have 1 munition i put one mine on the table and i'm unloaded.

i understand the rule like that: i have burst 1 on mine dispender BUT with double shot i can have a MOD +1 on my burst value and fire 2 mine at same times.

I'm right?

2. Iskandar

Iskandar Well-Known Member

Yes

Yes

This is the same situation as the first one. If you use double shot it uses two ammo and you'll be unloaded afterwords

3. Qwerinaga

Qwerinaga Active Member

More interesting question: how it works on ARO?

4. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

It does not, being a MOD to B that is not listed as working in ARO.

5. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

There's two lines of thinking on that.

One is that the rules which says Burst MODs do not work in ARO on equipment and skills modifiers inside round brackets also apply to MODs not inside round brackets unless the rules make specific exception to it.

The other way to read it is that the rule says that it applies to MODs to equipment and skills inside round brackets and that this is the exception while MODs granted elsewhere need to list separately when they are not allowed to be applied. This is my take on it - Double Shot gives you the burst MOD, no rule is applicable to take that away. You'll still have to follow the ARO target restrictions, of course.

Qwerinaga and Iskandar like this.
  6. Qwerinaga

Qwerinaga Active Member

Can you please remind me where is this list?

7. Rabble

Rabble Well-Known Member

If this is true it would be ENORMOUS, where is the rules text to support such and/or Forum answer from Corvus / FAQ?

8. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

9. Qwerinaga

Qwerinaga Active Member

Then whats the reason of making a trait if its can be just "(+1В)"?

10. Mahtamori

It's simple. There's no rule that says otherwise that I can find. Can't really point you to a rule that doesn't exist, but I can point to a rule that says you get an extra burst without internal caveats, and that is the Double Shot label.

The other way of reading it leans very heavily on two things;
    1) https://infinitythewiki.com/Skills_and_Equipment_in_Infinity#MODIFIERS_.28MODS.29
    The issue with this is that it references "If these MODs" referring to MODs written inside round brackets, meaning it's limited in application
    2) pattern recognition logic.
    The issue with this is that just because you can see a pattern doesn't mean that the pattern itself is part of the rules*. Unwritten rules are the worst, basically. The issue is further complicated in that it also typically assumes that exceptions have to be telegraphed ahead of time by virtue of them being telegraphed in some places. If that was true, then you'd not be allowed to apply for example a gun's rangeband MOD to your BS Attack - which generally leads to the rule being applied unevenly and inconsistently.

* As a foot note, this is generally speaking why most game rules tend to define how arithmetic (to name one example of a rules-wide logic) are meant to be applied inside a rules system. F.ex. a rules system might define that you're meant to do additions (and subtractions) before multiplications (and divisions). CB tries to instead write rules so that such prior definitions aren't necessary, for better or worse.

11. Mahtamori

Generally speaking the people who read it that the burst isn't allowed to be applied in ARO tend to make the argument that Double Shot is optional while BS Attack (+1B) is mandatory*.

* Whether you're forced to use your gun's full burst is... I'd say at best the rules hint at that you have to use full burst.

Qwerinaga likes this.
  12. Qwerinaga

Qwerinaga Active Member

I see, yes, it's reasonable.

13. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

Because that trait is optional, where you are forced to use a B+1

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation