1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodging Sequence During 6.1

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Methuselah, Feb 17, 2021.

?

Can reactive model A move from position A1 to A2?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  3. Maybe?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Methuselah

Methuselah Well-Known Member

This has been discussed a number of times for slightly different things. I am looking for clarification on a specific case. Sorry if this has already been decided:

Active model B chooses to dodge. Reactive model A chooses to dodge. Both units pass their PH check. Active model B1 moves to position B2 (attempting to box in model A). My question: can reactive model A move from position A1 to A2? Note: the path would move through the final position of Model B.

Picture1.png

I think it's a no because model A would come into silhouette contact with enemy model B. I am just wondering if there is any all at once considerations i am missing.

Relevant rules:
    6.1. Effects: Players apply all effects of successful Skills, Special Skills, and pieces of Equipment, and make Saving Rolls, any Dodge movement or Alert.

A Trooper's Movement ends automatically whenever he enters Silhouette contact with an enemy, even if the specified movement route is cut short as a result.

2. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Reactive model can't move through B's final position, that's one of the primary reasons why there's a sequence to dodging.

inane.imp and Methuselah like this.
  3. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

Your rules quotes missed the statement in Dodge stating that there’s a sequencing to the movement (second to last bullet point):
    • Is measured, declared, and the Trooper moved, during the Effects step of the Order Expenditure Sequence. If both players have Troopers that successfully Dodged, the Active Player will move their Troopers first, then the Reactive Player will move theirs.
    That’s pretty explicitly not ‘all at once’.

Methuselah and inane.imp like this.
  4. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

As a sidenote:
    In N3 a succesful Dodge would have gotten you out of Engaged there anyway. You'd have been separated 1mm and out of CC.

In N4 A can't get out of Engaged state
    • "A Trooper may also cancel the Engaged State if they pass a Dodge Roll, either Normal or Face to Face. In this case, the Trooper must leave Silhouette contact, moving up to 2 inches to separate themselves from the enemy.
    If they cannot move to a valid position that is outside Silhouette contact, the Trooper will remain in Engaged State without moving."

In your example A could avoid being Engaged if he has C+. He could use his Dodge to go Prone and move up the wall after B's Dodge Movement.

Methuselah likes this.
  5. Methuselah

Coming back to this, based on IJW's response in this thread, it seems like you can squeeze through any two objects which force you to (e.g. a building and an enemy model): https://forum.corvusbelli.com/threads/vaulting-over.39373/page-4

Am I getting that right?

Edit: for reference, I made this diagram in my local discord. The red line labeled x is always >.7inches for two S2 models in B2B.

unknown.png

6. kinginyellow

kinginyellow Well-Known Member

You stop moving once you touch an enemy model. But if that was a friendly model of bigger height, that seems legit.

inane.imp likes this.
  7. Methuselah

I am not contesting that. My point of clarification is: can you 'squeeze' through the gap (and by squeezing, never make contact)?

8. kinginyellow

kinginyellow Well-Known Member

I believe you have to be touching both pieces to squeeze through them, otherwise your example is no different than not having the enemy model there which was faq'd to not be allowed.

9. Methuselah

That generally makes sense to me, but I think what happens to your silhouette while squeezing through is still in the unanswered questions, so I'm not sure. I know people don't like getting pinned so I thought this may be a way to get around that.

10. Dragonstriker

Dragonstriker That wizard came from the moon.

I'd say this is not allowed;
    if this were intended then
    would necessarily read
    Since move is used as the verb, the implication is that the path of the movement must be declared and be valid IAW the move short skill and general movement rules.

11. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

What happens to the part of your SIL on the other side of the blocking objects is an open question. The fact that your SIL is in contact with the blocking object isn't up for debate.

There's a valid question to be asked about how this works with Null state enemies. RAW it appears to me that your movement stops but you don't become Engaged. So squeezing past Null-state enemies you start the movement in S2S with seems valid.

#11 inane.imp, Mar 30, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    Methuselah likes this.
  12. Teslarod

@ijw

"A Trooper's Movement ends automatically whenever he enters Silhouette contact with an enemy, even if the specified movement route is cut short as a result."

Is this an oversight from N3 when Silhouette contact always caused Engaged, even for Unconscious troops? Or is this supposed to be that way in N4, even though Unconscious troops no longer cause Engaged State?

inane.imp likes this.
  13. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

It prevents drive by Coup De Gracing. So it certainly has an effect.

14. Teslarod

It also stops Movement in general when entering S to S with an Unconscious Trooper.
    Not debating if it has an effect, certainly has.
    Instead I wonder if it is supposed to be in correlation to Engaged, it was in N3, in N4 not so much.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation