1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge and Guts movement while prone

Discussion in 'Rules' started by obyiscus, Nov 17, 2020.

1. obyiscus

obyiscus Member

I have a question about prone movement, specifically does your dodge movement and guts movement get halved from being prone?

The prone rule states:
    "While in this State, Troopers have both their MOV values and movement bonuses
    halved when performing any Skill with the Movement label (Move, Dodge…), or
    when moving as the result of a failed Guts Roll."

My initial thought was that all prone dodge movement and gut movement was halved, but someone pointed out that prone only reduces the MOV value, and movement BONUSES (i.e. dodge =2 inches). So is it correct that even when prone you can guts move 2 inches, and dodge 2 inches (+ half of any bonus that you get from special skills)?

inane.imp likes this.
  2. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

General Movement Rules indicates that the "MOV value" is the maximum distance a unit may move. There also seems to be a distinction between a "MOV value" and the "MOV Attribute" (MOV Attribute Value being each one of the two values)

https://infinitythewiki.com/General_Movement_Rules

inane.imp likes this.
  3. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

The wording of the Terrain skill suggests that MOV Attribute is the whole attribute (e.g. 6-2) which is composed of two MOV Values (6 and 2).

I'm inclined to think that where Guts/Dodge says you may or must "move up to 2 inches," and the GMRs say "MOV values indicate the maximum distance the unit can move, but there is no minimum," the combined effect is that when you Guts or Dodge, you move "up to 2 inches, but not more than your MOV value."

On that interpretation, if you're 4-4, when you're prone you become 2-2, so you can still Dodge or Guts up to 2" without exceeding your MOV value.

I guess it follows that if a 6-2 unit declares Move and goes prone, then declares Dodge as their second short skill, they can only Dodge 1". Because in that scenario the Dodge movement is the second time the unit has moved in the order, so they apply their second MOV value, which is 1 due to being prone. Likewise, even standing up, if they declared Move-Dodge the 6-2 unit can Dodge at most 2" even if they have Dodge(+1).

The counterargument would be that where the GMRs say "MOV values indicate the maximum distance the unit can move," they mean "anywhere the rules refer to a MOV value, they're referring to the maximum distance the unit can move in a given action." So when I declare Dodge, Dodge says I can "move up to 2 inches," so for the purpose of the Dodge, my MOV value - the maximum distance I can move - is 2. Which Prone halves to 1.

I don't know which is correct. The first interpretation seems cleaner to me. It's how I thought it worked in N3 as well. Never felt strongly about it though.

4. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

inane.imp likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation