1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hemos actualizado nuestra PolĂ­tica de Privacidad acorde con la nueva RGPD. +Info // We've updated our Privacy Policy to comply with the GDPR. +Info
    Dismiss Notice

Difficult Terrain Zones

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by TheRedZealot, Sep 18, 2019.

1. TheRedZealot

TheRedZealot Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Our club is looking to expand the amount of Difficult Terrain/Terrain Areas we use. So I'm looking for simple, easily storable options to consider.

I know I've seen a post a little while back that was looking at Difficult Terrain Zones that were done in a similar way to playmats but I can't remember how the person got the zones themselves, does anyone remember what I'm talking about I'm having trouble finding it?

But I also bet I am missing something obvious and there are probably other really good ideas for mapping out zones like this.

2. HeckMeiser

HeckMeiser Well-Known Member

Muse On Minis sells sets of 2d hills, foliage, and water features. I think they're printed on mousepad material.

chromedog and TheRedZealot like this.
  3. DukeofEarl

DukeofEarl Well-Known Member

TheRedZealot likes this.
  4. Captain Spud

Captain Spud Maker of Things
    Warcor

For natural zones, do what Duke suggested-- buy brown/grey/black craft foam, and sponge paint it to look like dirt, broken stone, etc. To whatever extent is possible, match the colours to your playmats.

Urban/Artificial zones are trickier, because you usually need to justify the "difficulty" of the zone a bit more. Heavily cracked pavement is a decent way to do this, as are "rubble zones"-- basically, patches loosely covered in small (shorter than S1) crates, barrels, pallets, stray lumber, etc. You could also justify areas of non-continuous ground as a difficult terrain zone-- e.g., a large grating that people need to walk over more carefully.

All of the above is doable with craft foam and foamcore. :)