1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Designation on two HVTs

Discussion in 'ITS' started by QueensGambit, Apr 12, 2022.

1. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

We're playing Countermeasures, and the HVT:Designation card is in the pot. It tells me I have to succeed at two Spotlights on "the HVT."

Countermeasures has multiple HVTs. If I do one Spotlight on one HVT and one on another, do I score the card?

Came up in a game with @Robock recently.

Robock likes this.
  2. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

I would go with you need to do it against the same HVT because otherwise then you have to have an argument about which HVT gets removed for countermeasures.

3. kinginyellow

kinginyellow Well-Known Member

I believe answer was: you get the point, both hvts are lost. Decide if worth.

Robock likes this.
  4. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

That is what I'm leaning to. The card is clear the intent is that you pass the roll twice, with no indication that spotlight must both be done on a single HVT.

Spotlight being B1, you could ask what happen if you spotlit two HVT over two turns.
    1) you remove both HVT that were used.
    2) you remove the one that made you collect the card.

Then I ask question #2, what if you spotlit once, then you Innoculate.
    1) you must spotlit a different HVT once (back to previous question, do you remove both HVT or just the last one used ? Consider how the first HVT was already removed by Innoculate)
    2) you must spotlight twice more (for a total of 3 successful Spotlight Rolls ?!)

It does get weird with FO as it is now B2, so you can Succeed in 2 distinct Rolls in one order (assuming the opponent choose to deploy both close to each other). I did go into it thinking you might have to remove both HVT since there is no order for which one was your 1st successful roll and which was your 2nd successful roll. In this case, being on final turn with not many more HVT Classified, removing both HVT was fine with me.

PS: what you cannot do is 1 spotlight and 1 FO, as the card says you must do 2 FO or 2 Spotlight.

QueensGambit likes this.
  5. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

Countermeasures has this rule:
    upload_2022-4-13_8-39-28.png
    If you spotlight 2 different HVTs, when the CO is completed they are both removed.

And remember, if you Spotlight one HVT, that HVT is not a valid target for any other CO. He may only be used to accomplish one CO.

6. QueensGambit

Hmm. I don't think that's correct, since Spotlighting something once doesn't accomplish a classified, it just puts the target in the Targeted state. So if you Spotlight one HVT once, then change course and do HVT:Retroengineering on it, you should still score Retroengineering. You've only used the HVT to accomplish one classified.

However, having done that, your initial Spotlight would no longer count towards Designation since you've used that HVT to accomplish Retroengineering, and can't now also use it to accomplish Designation.

7. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

You are not normally allowed to target a HVT. Only CO rules allow you to do that.
    If you use Spotlight on one, you are (partially) fulfilling a CO. This prevent the same HVT to be, for example, Retroengineered

8. QueensGambit

I don't think I buy it. Designation is "accomplished" when two Spotlights are done. The scenario rule doesn't say anything about "partially accomplishing" a classified. Especially given the second half of the sentence which says that the HVT is removed when a classified is completed. I'd say the rule is saying that once a classified is accomplished/completed, the HVT is removed and can no longer be used to accomplish other classifieds. If it's only been Spotlit once, it hasn't been used to accomplish Designation, isn't removed, and is still a valid target for Retroengineering.

But it could go either way, I suppose.

Robock likes this.
  9. Amusedbymuse

Amusedbymuse Well-Known Member

And you could go even further with that. Using spotlight for the first time isn't accomplishing Designation. Rules say that you can no longer use that HVT to accomplish other cards, but since first use of Spotlight isn't accomplishing objective, only the second one.
    As a Magic player used to very strict wording and keywords I would say that not only using Spotlight for the 1st time doesn't forbid other Classified to be done on that HVT, it still should be 1 of 2 done.

Robock and QueensGambit like this.
  10. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

You should get used to the fact that the Infinity rules aren't written by Magic players, and doesn't have very strict wording concerning keywords.

11. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation