1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desert Basing

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by Cannon Fodder, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder Well-Known Member

I decided to try and base all my haqq models and am happy how they are turning out. Considering I have around 60-70 models I didn't want to have to completely redo the bases. Just add texture. This worked well. Mostly its a Course Pumice Gel that gives it the right texture. Its the second courcest one they had. The rough one was too granny. The jar I had cost 15$ (Canadian) and I think I'll use about a quarter of it for all my models. I used some other GF9 material to give the texture some variation. I also used a second basing material but but its almost the same as the Gel and can probably be skipped. For larger rocks I have some gravel from a dollar store. I used model glue for the larger rocks, but the Gel holds everything together on its own.

As for paints I was not sure. All the tutorials I saw said brown primer, but as I didn't want to pull the models off the base I couldn't. I'm actually happy I used airbrush paints. Its gets in crevasse better than normal paints. take a look in the photos for ones I used. There is also a model in each step of the process. Its missing the light brown step, but that color doesn't really show up in the base, I'm a little too heavy on the bone color. I wanted to use one of the colors from my paint scheme to tie in the camouflage. I'm not sure if it would have worked if it was more predominant on the base, The model may have blended in too much. I find there is enough of a contrast to make it work.

In general I'm happy with this. I don't like bases that are too flashy as they detract attention from the model.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This image doesn't cut off the Gel bottle.
    [​IMG]

I adapted my process from this: (remove if I'm breaking any forum rules)

2. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Those look awesome, dude - i find if you add some crackle paste overtop of it, an then drybrush it - it gives it even more depth. :D

TheMethOfCookingArt likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation