1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damage and displace

Discussion in 'Rules' started by harl3quin, Jan 17, 2018.

1. harl3quin

harl3quin Well-Known Member

Hey guys!

Looking for some answers regarding switches and damage done.
    As we all know switches trigger before anything else in the face to face.
    So what happens when you get displaced or displace yourself out of damage range?

i.e. Musashi hits H3xxer like a freighttrain but H3xxer be switching things up and moves 1 or more spaces away from musashi. Does the damage rolls still count or is H3xxer home free?

Thanks for the responses.

2. Roadrunner7431

Roadrunner7431 Well-Known Member

The result of the dice roll will happen if all the requirements (range, LOS etc.) of the attack were valid at the time that the attack was made. If enough damage is inflicted to send H3xxer to the infirmary then she goes no matter how many switches she may have been able to trigger. I assume that "V" of CB will check my response for validity.

elctrc, ijw and zlavin like this.
  3. -V-

-V- A! Team member
    CB Staff

And the answer is perfect. From the Reference Guide:

elctrc likes this.
  4. bjornserkr

bjornserkr New Member

I'm assuming this also applies to the use of switches *during* the Roll? For example:

Mushashi and Hexxer are base to base and Mushashi makes a combat roll. He has Hexxer make the first switch, and she decides to use her switch: "Displace yourself". Can Mushahi then activate his switch: "Add a success to your roll against an adjacent target" and it still works, even though Hexxer is no longer adjacent?

I'm betting it it still works, and even switches get completed even if some of the requirements are no longer met. The reason this is confusing is that the Action is still completed (combat roll) but can the switches still be completed?

Thanks in advance!

#4 bjornserkr, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  5. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

Yes, it's the same answer.

bjornserkr likes this.
  6. bjornserkr

bjornserkr New Member

--Official Answer below--

#6 bjornserkr, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  7. eronth

eronth Active Member

I keep coming back to this, and I'm not so sure on that last one. With attacks, you determine target validity before switches, so targets just stay valid. But in bjornserkr's example, Musashi is trying to activate a switch against an invalid target. If Hexx3r has already moved away, it seems that Musashi would no longer be able to use switches that require him adjacent to the target.

So I guess the question is: Do switches determine validity at the moment the skill they're using is declared, or at the moment the switch itself is declared?

8. -V-

-V- A! Team member
    CB Staff

I'm afraid not. Switches are activated just at the moment you spend required symbols from your Roll. Switches have their own requirements, and must be considered just at this time (Switches Step in a Roll). They don't depend on previous declaration. So it's so important to decide who activates their switches first.

From your example, if hEXx3r activates her Switch before Miyamoto, Mushashi won't be able to activate his Switch against hEXx3r, because the criteria for his Switch is not met (Adjacent target).

bjornserkr and zlavin like this.
  9. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

That probably needs to go in the FAQ.

10. -V-

-V- A! Team member
    CB Staff

Just written down.

:wink:

ijw likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation