1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyberpunk 2077 RPG game play

Discussion in 'Off-Topic English' started by Space Ranger, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

This looks really cool to me but I don't know anything about computer/video games.

Splod, jherazob, Icchan and 2 others like this.
  2. Brother Smoke

Brother Smoke Bureau Trimurti Representative

I have been waiting for this game since the first time I heard the word "cyberpunk" come out of a CDProjekt Red dev, years ago

It physically hurts me that it's not out right now

Zewrath, xagroth, jherazob and 3 others like this.
  3. Space Ranger

lol you should get that looked at. Could be cyber-psychosis!

I loved the old original RPG back in the 80s. The rules were meh but the background and all was fantastic!

4. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine from the Navy still has his Cyberpunk 2013 stuff. Yeah. That vintage.

5. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

Yeah, but so do I (and I was a mudfoot). Ran that sucker for 25 years or so with the same group, a campaign that meandered all over the globe and into LEO.

Got a feeling I'm going to be coaching a new generation on the p&p stylings of max mike.

6. kanluwen

kanluwen Well-Known Member

Supposedly there's a new edition that will be coming out next year? I saw that come up awhile ago, dunno what came of it though.

7. Space Ranger

I think it's because of Cyberpunk, I got into Infinity. I loved the look of it and the story was cool too. It was a bit ahead of it's time in some ways. Like the Rocker Boy class. You see it a lot in anime and stuff now. Hell, we have it now with Warcors and even the old civilian figure Marlene Go Go.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  8. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

> "mature game with mature story"
    > puts cheap boobs all around

Oh, and recent twitter story "Did you...." xD

9. Section9

It's really too bad that Cyberpunk the game really missed the mark on computer integration and certain tech developments. At least Shadowrun kept updating the hacking/computer rules (and pushed the timeline forward every new edition). But Shadowrun also started in 2053, 40 years after Cyberpunk's first outing. I think SR5 is in the late 2070s or early 2080s!

Not that CP2020 or even CP3 isn't playable (get used to missing a lot of shots, though!), but it is definitely showing it's age. Big parts of CP3's setting blow chunks, and the interior art is worse. Seriously? Pictures of action figures?!? Max Mike needs to take 'prettiness control' away from the 6yo.

xagroth likes this.
  10. chromedog

Yah, Cyberpunk:Red - which has nothing to do with CDPR, it was the name he came up with before he began his association with them, and is a reflection on the CP3 "green tone" used throughout it. Set in the 2040s, the nu-corporate regimes are till rebuilding after Corp War 4 and you are part of it.

He's also mentioned maybe doing a 2077 sourcebook to update it, that wouldn't be released until after 2077 actually gets released (Source: the gencon seminar).

I got into the rpg back in 1988 because of the art on the box, having been a fan of Patrick Nagel for a few years, and Sam Liu's art had a similar style (now he's an animation manager and storyboarder for DC cartoons). Infinity just continued my wanting to find a cp-ish miniatures game.

11. Dragonstriker

Dragonstriker That wizard came from the moon.

I still have mine, somewhere in my parents garage. It was the first rpg I bought.

12. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

13. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Well-Known Member

It's one of the best thing the have done. I quit Shadowrun cause of these changes. It wasn't any longer Shadowrun for me. I'm a child of the 80/90 and (all)/most the flair get lost with this changes. I understand, why the changed it for a new generation, but they lost some older player.

chromedog likes this.
  14. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

I'm really hyped for the game, and that's before counting that CDPR are a Polish company and I'd love to see them get even more international recognition. I wonder how the final versions of presented mechanics will work in the final game. And by now I'm pretty sure I'll get into "screw Megacorps" mode hard.

As for the classic rpg the problem is with finding players. Most people moved to fantasy, sci-fi in general and cyberpunk in particular are just not very popular at the moment.

xagroth and Errhile like this.
  15. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

If you mean the local scene, the moment is "~10 years or more".

chromedog, jherazob and Stiopa like this.
  16. chromedog

Yeah, SR5 is in the 2070s, now. Yeah, they adopted wireless tech in SR3, it was essentially bluetooth with pairing and stuff. I got given a copy of SR3 back when it was a new thing to evaluate. The main thing I had against it was that it was still SR. (the dragons and fantasy stuff don't belong in my CP).

Some friends and I tossed ideas around about a 2020 CP Seattle where posergangs held sway (orks and elves) with tit-for-tat battles and bloodshed. Then MaxMike up and moved from SF to Seattle and it got buried.

CP was a future that almost was but never happened. It's an alternate world. That's the main draw. It's no different to all the various fantasy worlds being a European-styled middle-ages without the plagues and religious schisms and social upheavals. Where female characters could often do what the males did without repercussions.
    In the same way that Twilight 2000 is a future that never (but almost did) happened. There was a lot of sabre rattling, but the balloon never went up. It's in the same realm as "Team Yankee" as a historical curiousity.

Finally got around to watching the gameplay footage properly. It plays somewhat like a tt rpg sesh for 1-2 players and a GM and had some similarities to intro games I've run in the very far distant past (heh). In 2020 terms, V must be pulling down some big jobs to afford THAT apartment (or someone owes her a big favour). My Pcs were lucky to have a bedsit with a wetroom - let alone a multiroom apt with a Walk-in-armoury.

But based on the gameplay, she's starting out and having to create her network for jobs and take what she's offered.

I did like the cityscape stuff. Yeah, it's a cliche about NC being "night time, all the time, and raining, too" but the main reasons for that is that usually the PCs were up to no good and benefitting from the cloak of night for that shit. There's some stuff you just can't get away with in the cold light of day.

jherazob, Errhile and xagroth like this.
  17. Icchan

Icchan Well-Known Member

18. Section9

You know, I'd long suggested Shadowrun for gaming Infinity. Let the EI guys use the magic VoodooTech rules, everyone else uses the hard tech.

SR does get my vote for interesting setting, however.

jherazob likes this.
  19. chromedog

Yeah, but I've never been into the whole fantasy trope schtick thing. It's not that I find the genre boring, but I just had zero interest in it.

I blame my mother. She got me into SF at a young age (5 or 6) and I never looked back. The only fantasy I've read that I liked was Terry Pratchett, but that's more about his attitude to the subject, rather than the subject itself.

#19 chromedog, Sep 4, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    jherazob, colbrook, Icchan and 2 others like this.
  20. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

I like fantasy. I like cyberpunk.

But mix those two good things together, and the result is... not acceptable.

Though one of my buddies had one interesting idea about it, actually: ditch the whole Shadowrun history, and run it as a conventional fantasy world that undergone technological evoultion. I.e. grew out of "Middle Ages" tech level, made it through Renaissance, Industrial Revolution, Modern Era, Infromation Era and is now firmly into the Future...

chromedog, jherazob and Space Ranger like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation