1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coordinated surprise attack

Discussion in 'Rules' started by SaladSnek, Feb 6, 2023.

1. SaladSnek

SaladSnek Well-Known Member

If a unit leaves camo to attack as part of a coordinated order, would the negative apply to any face to face made by the target against ALL of the units in the coordinated order? (including ones without surprise attack or marker state?)

Example: 4 hackers coordinate spot light through a repeater. One starts in camo and uses the surprise attack skill. Does the target reset against -3 to all the attacks? Or are there 2 separate target numbers for the wip roll?

2. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

The latter, two separate target numbers for the WIP roll.

3. chroma.mk

chroma.mk Member

Sorry, but i am confused now.
    "This Attack imposes an additional negative MOD, as shown in round brackets in the Unit Profile [Surprise Attack (-3), Surprise Attack (-6)...]. This MOD only applies to targets of the Attack, and applies to any Skill Roll that those targets perform in ARO."
    The ruling in the wiki implies otherwise, so that the -3 counts for all ARO Rolls and not just the 2 who use the skill. Can you please elaborate? Thanks in advance

QueensGambit likes this.
  4. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

Every FtF is calculated on its own.
    The one against Surprise Attack is a WIP-3
    The other ones are WIP.

Surprise Attack roll 11, the other roll 9, 1 and a failure.
    Resetting model has WIP 13 and roll a 11.
    The 11 (against 13) wins over 9 and 1. But the 11 is a failure against the surprise attack because it impose the -3 reducing WIP to 10 but only against that roll.

Edit: see below...

#4 tox, Feb 7, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
    LeGweg, SaladSnek, Tristan228 and 2 others like this.
  5. SaladSnek

SaladSnek Well-Known Member

Tight. That's how I've been playing it. on paper the surprise moding all attacks seems better but 2 different target numbers means they can't crit out of all the attacks.

The evil thing I've been doing is coordinated spot light through repeaters. the dice gods gave my opponents more crit resets than I would have ever guessed, then I worked in a camo hacker with surprise attack to cheat the dice gods.

6. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

I stand corrected.

As the rules + FAQs states now, the situation is different.

The 1.3 FAQs https://downloads.corvusbelli.com/infinity/faq/n4-faq-en-v1-3.pdf are still not entirely updated in the wiki.
    On page 13, you can read the ERRATA

upload_2023-2-27_16-15-54.png

Surprise Attack is an Automatic Skill. Negative MODs for Automatic Skills follow their relevant rules.

https://infinitythewiki.com/Surprise_Attack
    This Attack imposes an additional negative MOD, as shown in round brackets in the Unit Profile [Surprise Attack (-3), Surprise Attack (-6)...]. This MOD only applies to targets of the Attack, and applies to any Skill Roll that those targets perform in ARO.

TL:DR
    Surprise Attack MODs are applied to the target, whatever ARO they declare. And it is not only against the model with Surprise Attack.
    (but you can only apply one Surprise Attack MOD as stated)

Diphoration, QueensGambit and LeGweg like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation