1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Combat Jump (Explode) and Multiple Levels

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Ceilican, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Ceilican

Ceilican Well-Known Member

Playing a game this Saturday, I wanted to jump a Liu Xing on top of a fireteam that was cuddled up to a building. I asked my opponent if I landed on the edge of the roof, would the template hit the models underneath standing against the wall.

Basically, I'd land on the roof, place the template and project downward for the effect.

We couldn't decide, and the direct template examples didn't really help us make a determination (they mostly deal with teardrops). In the end we "even/odd"ed it and dice said no.

So did we miss anything? What's the answer here?

2. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

Combat Jump (Explosion) has the following additional rules:
    • After performing the PH Roll and determining the Trooper's final location, the Trooper makes a Direct Template Attack, placing the center of the Circular Template (Blast Focus) over the center of their base.
    What is a Direct Template Attack? There is even the example
    [​IMG]
    The center of the Circular Template (Blast Focus) must match the center of the underside of the Trooper’s base.

Types of Templates
    In this rulebook, there are three kinds of Templates used by Weapons and pieces of Equipment: the Circular Template, the Large Teardrop Template and the Small Teardrop Template.

The height of the Templates used by Template Weapons and Equipment is equal to their radius, or half their width (except for those Ammunitions whose Traits otherwise specify it).
    [​IMG]

In Infinity, different Templates have a Blast Focus, which is used to determine if a Trooper is affected by the Template, or if the Template's Area of Effect has been blocked by Total Cover from intervening scenery elements. For a Trooper to be affected by the Template, it must be possible to trace a LoF from the Template's Blast Focus to the Trooper, without being blocked by Total Cover.

The Blast Focus is the center of the Circular Template and the narrow end of the Teardrop Templates.

These are all the relevant part of the rules.
    If the target can be reached by the Template Focus within the "sphere" and without being blocked by scenery, THEN it is hit

Teslarod and Ceilican like this.
  3. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Seems like Direct Circular Templates are placed on the Liu Xing / Taryot similar to how missiles etc worked in N3. Stick the centre of the template inside the central axis of the drop trooper and see if you touch. Remember that this template is a sphere!

Generally speaking, unless the building is less than 2" tall you won't be able to touch very many of them, and if the building is 3"+ the angle will be too steep to touch even one of them (note: I haven't done the actual math, just made a rough estimate - you've got 2.35" radius to work with).

https://infinitythewiki.com/Direct_Template_Weapons

"Direct Circular Template: The center of the Circular Template (Blast Focus) must be placed over the center of the base of the Trooper declaring the Attack, and every Trooper affected by the Template will suffer the Attack."

Edit: Huh. Interesting how the example mentions the underside of the base while the rules text states "over" the base...

Ceilican likes this.
  4. Ceilican

Ceilican Well-Known Member

Here we go. To me, this means the answer is unequivocally "No". The blast focus will be at least 12.5mm away from the edge of the building, so you couldn't draw a line through the building to the troopers. The blast will just go out parallel with the rooftop, and it doesn't "wrap" down past the edge.

Edit - Math

#4 Ceilican, Apr 12, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    inane.imp and chromedog like this.
  5. Mahtamori

@ijw could we possibly get some input here? I know the faq technically answers this, but it seems like the rules text is using somewhat old formatting and that the example should be more correct/intended?

That is: rules text saying the template is placed over the base while example (and other types of circular templates) go basically under the base.

inane.imp likes this.
  6. Sirk

Sirk Well-Known Member

I totally agree on this. Since the base must be fully supported, the center of the blast will be almost half a inch from the edge, preventing any line from go downward because of the roof itself.

Robock and the huanglong like this.
  7. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

i thought we had a general ruling in another thread that rule text is always truth and that example that contradict it are always erroneous.

8. Mahtamori

Yes, but the rules text could be a bit less ambiguous to be fair.

inane.imp, Robock and QueensGambit like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation