1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CLP Paints

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by Camden Leisure Pirate, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi All,

First off I am by no stretch of the imagination a good painter, i see some of the things you guys & gals do here and it makes me so jealous I could give myself a Chinese burn!
    That said I'm still happy with what I produce, it's been a long journey of sobering failures, this will be a living journal of the ones involving Infinity miniatures...

First up my Al Fasid, I haven't picked any fancy bases yet but I did get to practise my future YJ scheme on the torso(?) He's standing on, I've also tried to do some nmm but in reality ive highlighted some black and brown, that's the colour of guns and ammo right? :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Whaleofforum, mipevo6, Oni and 8 others like this.
  2. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

I see nothing here that you should be ashamed of.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks Koin-Koin, this is a new approach to painting for me, previously I've only painted 40k armies using shortcuts and minimum effort to get things on the table, it's really inspiring to see how people have captured a genre in painting these minis and I really look forward to seeing more as I get into the game, the terrain alone has got my cogs spinning with ideas.

Koin-Koin and jherazob like this.
  4. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

Welcome to the club buddy. I feel the same way. You're a bit better than me but I'll work hard to change that. The level of skill you display is more than satisfying for me.

Camden Leisure Pirate likes this.
  5. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

I personally didn't paint a model for decades and, being bring into miniatures games by a friend 3 years ago, I finally tried to paint some 2 years ago and I choose an Infinity one to try out and I loved it. Since, I've improved a lot (from basic to decent) because of one main thing : just actually painting things.

I'm surrounded by people paintings minis for decades so I know I'm far from being a skilled painter (some paint a full army in less than a week with a better finish than I would expect to achieve myself, some are slower but get kick-ass results, some even make a living of it) but I'm happy with what I can get.

The bottom line is, as long what you get pleased you then go for it. Continue posting here as it helps to progress. not only because of the feedback, but just the process of taking a photo and publishing it makes you have a second look at what you did. Sometime it helps to notice some miss so you can correct them, sometime it will just let you realise that what you did was way better than you thought first.

If going on with all the backlog you can have is an issue, I suggest you to join the Monthly Painting Group thread as it helps to get things painted within a short period.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

G2G, thank you kindly, I'm sure we will both get better, unless I get worse....

Koin-Koin, good shout on the painting pledge, I have to admit I thought it was just a thread rules post and ignored it! I think this forum is great and I agree it does make you reflect on what you produce, I've been busy tidying up little flecks all morning..

jherazob, Koin-Koin and Golem2God like this.
  7. Golem2God

8. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Very much this, dude!

Practice makes perfect. I have some hideous models from back in the day (just found some of my 1990s paintjobs! *shudder* ), and some more from having not painted recently.

Try to chase down some minis to use a civilians (at the very least, you can get some in the various Dire Foes sets, even if you only buy the one(s) for faction(s) you play), or scrounge some cheap Imperial Guard or fantasy minis. Something en masse, so that you can paint lots of models for practice.

For general advice, you can push the contrast between your shades and highlights up a lot higher.

From the heavy blacklining, I assume you're going for a cartoony look? In that case, getting some black ink, Future (sorry, 'Pledge with Future Shine' floor cleaner. Yes, really!), and thinning a 1:1 mix of that with lots of water will put most of the black into the joints and mostly keep it off the flat panels. You will still have some tinting, but you can basecoat, wash, start the first highlight with your base color and highlight up from there.

DO NOT USE Future as your basic thinner for everything, it's has something to break surface tension in it so anything mixed with it will get everywhere. Learned that lesson the hard way, when my Future-thinned highlight mix kept creeping into the shadows. It's OK for base coats and washes you want to get everywhere, that's it. If you live in a house with vinyl floors, you (or whoever does the cleaning) may already have some. You're going to want a dropper bottle for the supply of Future you use, and a single bottle of Future will last you years if you just use it as a paint additive.

Use Glaze Medium for your basic thinner, especially for highlights. Glaze medium has a surface tension increaser in it, so that something mixed with glaze medium only goes where you put it. Very useful!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

@Section9 I'd say mostly clean cartoony is my style, weathering never seems to quite work out for me and just ends up obscuring detail and looking like I'm hiding something, I pretty much apply the citadel method with some slight layering/glazing/blending in the mix, I agree I could push the contrast more but the trauma of an almost pink purple space marine still haunts me! The good thing with the Infinity range is I can just keep collecting different factions to try stuff on.

10. Section9

That's actually what makes practicing on civilian models so nice. Civvies wear some absurd colors all the time, even if it wasn't what you had intended!

It's just such a shame that it's very hard to find Infinity-style civilians outside of the Dire Foes boxes. I have a whole pile of the old Anima Tactics minis, but they're long OOP, as are Antenociti's civilian models. Have some of the Relic Knights, some Hasslefree, some Spectre. And probably others I've forgotten about! My definition of a 'civilian' is someone without obvious armor and armed with nothing bigger than a pistol.

11. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

I like the mini a lot. When you keep on painting I´m sure you will improve in no time, but the mini you got there is already well executed and really clean/crisp.

The only thing I would recommend you is to try some highlighting with glazes, the armor plates are a little bit flat. Like Section9 already said try some glaze medium for that, you can achieve good results with that technique really easy.

If you are a bit insecure and dont want to ruin your mini try it on a plain surface of the mini (or a plastic card) and coat it with gloss varnish first(I use an old airbrush for that and the vallejo gloss varnish), than you can really easily wipe it off with your finger (or a q-tip with a little bit alcoholic cleaner, but be carefull in that case) if you are not happy with the result. This is saving myself a lot of time fixing mistakes.

Just take your time and keep on practicing. Try out more things. Leave your comfort zone. If you do this in little steps you will get better and improve your already good work.

Greetings Oni

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Been very lazy over October plus my misses accidentally threw away my Haqq half of Red Veil! Which kinda was a blessing as it allowed me to write a list with minis I want rather than trying to squeeze in what I had... anyway super quick and rough nasmat, this was an exercise in finalizing my QK colours and an experimental base.

[​IMG]

mipevo6, Koin-Koin, Golem2God and 3 others like this.
  13. Golem2God

That description does seem to fit the bill.
    @Camden Leisure Pirate Sorry to hear about how you lost the Haqq half of Red Veil. Perhaps you can obtain only the minis from that box that you want for your force? Also the Nasmat's colors are nicely done and the base meshes with the model.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

@Golem2God thanks, aim is to have first 300 point list table ready by January so I can switch to terrain, it was kind of ok losing the minis, I was more annoyed just not knowing where they were for 2 days.. I've gone all in with QK now as a couple of friends want to play a sectorial and they were worried about balance, I don't know if it makes a huge difference yet but I have the options at least.

Golem2God likes this.
  15. Golem2God

Then I hope that all goes well for you in your future plans. Hope to see your 300 point force full array in colorful glory.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So new year and new ideas, I wasn't feeling green and wanted something a bit more sci fi looking so below happened, first mini of 2019 so already painted a 3rd of my total for 2018!

[​IMG]

Oni, mipevo6, Koin-Koin and 4 others like this.
  17. Golem2God

18. Section9

The orange looks good!

(That's not an easy color to paint, either!)

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks guys, I did see some pics of Orange Haqq when looking for alternatives so I knew it wouldn't look too crazy, I won't lie the orange didn't like the airbrush but went on well enough from the bristles.

20. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Day in, Day out. Day in, Day out. Day in, DAY OUT

Seconded. Orange is truly the Devil's color, not red, like so many silly people seem to think.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation