1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chestnut Shellac Sanding Sealer

Discussion in 'Antenocitis Workshop' started by JacobJ, Feb 13, 2019.

1. JacobJ

JacobJ Active Member

2. HarlequinOfDeath

HarlequinOfDeath Tha Taskmastaaa
    Warcor

3. JacobJ

JacobJ Active Member

I think I read somewhere that the drying time would be 20 min, which matches the alcohol-based one, but not the cellulose-based one (for which it is 5 min).

I hope it’s the alcohol one, because I wouldn’t like to use cellulose-based product indoors. Also it is not labelled toy safe as the alcohol one is.

4. HarlequinOfDeath

HarlequinOfDeath Tha Taskmastaaa
    Warcor

I think both are indoors a bad idea. Did this one time and will never do it again. ;) And I tried to find the old thread in the old forums but since Google cache doesn't save it all... Antenociti's mentioned shellac and later cellulose based sealers. I think the essence of the threads was to use products from Chestnut.

But maybe @Antenociti can help?

5. JacobJ

JacobJ Active Member

I was hoping to use the alcohol-based indoors, in a spray booth, next to an open window.

What was the problem for you with the alcohol-based, did the fumes make you dizzy or nauseous?

6. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

You really should be wearing a respirator for that. They're $30 for a good one.

7. JacobJ

JacobJ Active Member

I have one, come to think of it. Thanks for the advice.

8. Antenociti

Antenociti Well-Known Member

Hi @JacobJ .Sorry for the late reply.

You were correct with the shellac in the original post. The shellac we use is the alcohol-based Chestnut Shellac, not cellulose-based. I've never had a problem with the fumes making me dizzy etc. but I have been using it in a large room with extraction fans. I would advise a respirator like Section9 has recommended. Better safe than sorry when it comes to health and safety. If you can do it outside or somewhere well ventilated that will also help.

JacobJ likes this.
  9. vegeta365

vegeta365 New Member

Sorry for the late response, but really interested in what you are all using this product for? I’m assuming it’s some secret magic that I have missed out on my entire life of the hobby.

Please enlighten me of what it’s for, what you do with it and what the benefits are.

Thanks everyone

10. Durian Khaar

Durian Khaar It's clubbering time...
    Warcor

It does seal MDF really fast and reliable, making the MDF soak less paint and enabling a smoother finish

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation