1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camo, repeaters, and hacking

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Fyeya, May 14, 2018.

1. Fyeya

Fyeya Yakitori over a light flamethrower

So I guess my question is if I get my hacker within 8" of an enemy repeater, do all of his hackers become public information? I'm trying to figure out how it works, since normally you have to reveal if a unit is hackable once it enters an enemy hacking area.

I just wasn't sure how that interaction worked. I also wasn't sure, if a model was in marker state (camo) or HoloEcho, if those would be effected via the repeater, etc.

2. Scaffen-Amtiskaw

Scaffen-Amtiskaw New Member

I don't have a firm grasp on the rules since I haven't been playing too long. Just a forewarning.

Based on what I have read on the wiki about this it seems that all models(profiles) that are not in a marker state, airborne deployment or hidden deployment are essentially open information. This means the hackable trait would always be open and not just when in the ZoC of your hacker (unless there is some other rule or errata that changes that).

Closed information essentially encapsulates some part of a profile. This could be the entire profile or just the Lieutenant part of it. It is only made public upon a certain condition being met or if the model enters a null state. Therefore I think that the hackable trait would be closed information until the model came out of its marker state.

Since when you move your hacker in range of an enemy repeater it opens up all of their hackers as potential targets to your hacking programs I would assume that all of those targets would be know to you except the ones in marker state or hidden deployment.

This is as the rules seem to suggest to me. That said logic seems to suggest that since the marker states are often a representation of optical disruption such states should not apply to hacking attempts as they are purely digital.

Hopefully somebody with more experience can give a more definitive explanation :)

3. macfergusson

macfergusson Van Zant is my spirit animal.

http://infinitythewiki.com/en/Advan...Devices_and_Hacking_Programs:_Characteristics

Hacking devices aren't private information. Any hacker that is not in a marker state you should already be aware of, there wouldn't be anything to "reveal", and any hacker concealed by a marker/hidden deployment isn't hackable.

Holoprojector and hacking is something that I just avoid entirely, it's a complicated mess.

xagroth likes this.
  4. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

As has been answered, at least to my satisfaction level (which if memory serves is a like from IJW on a post), here's an example situation:

The only new information you get when you move a hacker within 8" of my Rui Shi (Repeater) is that 9 of my 13 Kuang Shi(1) are hackable and that the Crane Agent Assault Hacker(2) that you were hoping to use Redrum on, conspicuously not part of the Celestial Guard fireteam, is not actually a hackable.

(1) 3 Kanren Counter-Insurgency Units with Killer Hacking Devices hiding in Holoprojector and Holoecho states.
    (2) 1 Sforza, Registered Bounty Hunter with glue gun and bad attitude hiding in Holoprojector state.

5. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

It's generally held that you'll also find out that 9 of the Kuang Shi can be targeted by programmes that only target Hackers. This isn't really an issue with Kanren, but can be an issue depending on the specific list.

And technically you wouldn't find out the Crane Agent Assault Hacker isn't hackable. You'd find out that it is "not within your Hacking Area" (unless it's within 8" of your Hacker, the Rui Shi or one of your friendly Repeaters, in which case it would be within your Hacking Area and @Mahtamori's answer would be correct).

Isn't hacking fun?

6. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Holo2 is marker but his "hackable" trait is sudo open information (private if not in repeater range).

7. Fyeya

I thought all enemy hackers are 'inside my hacking area' once I get inside an enemy repeater.

8. inane.imp

But the Crane Agent isn't actually a Hacker, it's actually a LI (Sforza) pretending to be a Hacker.

9. Fyeya

So wouldn't I find out that it was, in fact, not hackable?

I wouldn't find out it was an LI, just that it wasn't carrying an Assault Hacking Device.

10. inane.imp

No, because it's not a Hacker it's not inside your Hacking Area. Therefore you aren't entitled to any information as to it's hackability. You just find out it's not in your Hacking Area (which means that it can't be a Hacker).

11. Fyeya

... Chicken meet egg.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation