1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breaking down walls

Discussion in 'Modiphius Entertainment' started by inane.imp, Dec 22, 2018.

1. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Say I want to get through a wall. How would you do it mechanically?

There's basically two options: Brawn test and as an attack.

Brawn test is easy: assign a difficulty between 0-5 use Sledgehammers or similar as a Kit to assist the process.

As an attack is hard. The rules suggest civilian vehicle has an ARM 1 and Structure of 8. So something around this number would be sufficient for a wall.

The question is: how many Breaches to make a hole in it?

1 Breach for a man-sized hole, 2 for Size 1 and 3 for Size 2, 4 it's completely destroyed makes sense to me?

Golem2God likes this.
  2. stevenart74

stevenart74 Well-Known Member

I assume is for the upcoming "Harbour Assault" for our Game. . .??

Searching in the Rules; if everything is not clear still by "Official Ruling" then I will treat a "Section of Wall" as an immovable "Enemy Character" based on Non-Organics Stats (such as an "Inactive" Military Drone). . .

If You overcome the (eventual) Armour Value and "Crush" all the "Wounds than that section of Wall is perforated or even TOTALLY wrecked. . .

Hardwood (treated or not), Mortar-&-Brick, Carved Rocks, "Permacrete" Nanotech Concrete and so on are the typical "Ariadnan Walls" far more prevalent on Planet Dawn than Metallic Alloys and Synth-Plastic Meshes prevalent in Hyperpower Compounds. . .

Metal Doors (from thin "Cargo Boxes Temporary Settlements" filmsy doorlets to "Bank Vaults Doors" made of Teseum) the EMPYRICAL RULE is that a Door (especially if reinforced) is BETTER ARMOURED but with LESS "HIT POINTS" than the Wall in where they are esconced. . .

If a Door AND a Wall are too much EVEN for D-Charges (shaped Termite / Nanotech Plastic Explosive mixed together) then there is the "Old Adage" of "Go for the Hinges". . . . .House Doors, even reinforced COULD NOT STAND a Shotgun Slug Shell fired at the hinges and EVEN ARMOURED Military Spaceship "Void Bulkhead Doors" could be busted by 1 or 2 D-Charges placed at the right spots. . .

Hope it helps with the issue. . .

Researching the Manuals and "Stats" work-in-progress. . . . .!!!

Golem2God likes this.
  3. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

I'm looking at this mechanically and generally, which is why I asked here rather than the OOC.

The issue with doing more "Wounds than that section of Wall is perforated or even TOTALLY wrecked. . ." is that Walls have 4 faults. So to totally wreck a wall you need to do 4 faults to it.

None of the Explosive (or similar) equipment has the Grievous quality. Which basically limits you to 2 Faults per attack regardless of how much Damage you do. Coupled with the fact that you combine multiple charges into a single attack, this means you pretty much can never outright destroy a wall in one attack.

Which is why I think the 1 Breach for a man-sized hole, 2 for a Size 1 hole and 3 for a Size 2 hole makes sense. Ultimately what a GM allows harms to do is up to them (where they haven't been specified at least): but mechanically that means that ramming a TAG sized hole in a wall will take 2 actions (which seems reasonable: basically the first action should do bulk damage and the second clears out the rubble).

The ARM value of a structure is less of an issue with this or the "apply bulk D-Charges" approach because it's a single big hit. ARM stops death by a thousand cuts more than it stops big impacts.

Page 333 gives rough guidelines for applying Structure to things.

#3 inane.imp, Dec 24, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  4. stevenart74

stevenart74 Well-Known Member

It seems to Me a correct enough assessment. . .

As a VERY Generic Idea, the Gecko Exoframe T.A.G. BAREHANDED could dent / totally rip-off a Metal Bulhead in 1, MAX. 2 Actions / Rolls, while Old weathered Rebar-In-Concrete Walls like the ones of the Target Compound will be 2-3 Rolls based ALSO on HOW ENOUGH well is the punch / kick. . .

By the way, the Wall Sections that have "Rubble Breaches" could be cleared INSIDE STANDARD MOVEMENT by a Gecko T.A.G. with a sufficiently enough Athletic / Pilot Roll (by doing an ENORMOUS noise; Human-Sized Organics could instead try to slip inside by "Stealth" ALMOST unsensed !!). . .

Should You need a QUICK breach, firing a SINGLE A.P. Warhead from the 40mm. Grenade Launcher AND / OR a Long Burst from A.P.-loaded "Spitfire L.M.G." will SERIOUSLY weaken the Wall, so that a RUNNING CHARGE at FULL SPEED by the Gecko will TOTALLY "Kool-Aid Oh-Yeah !!!" THROUGH it. . .!!

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation