1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Berserk and Hackers

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Miraclebutt, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Miraclebutt

Miraclebutt Well-Known Member

So here's a little problem that came up the other day that left me scratching my head a little bit.

I have a Blue Wolf within 10" but outside of the Hacking Area of an enemy hacker. I declare Berserk on the enemy Hacker. Is reacting with a hacking attack a valid ARO?

Initially, I thought it might not be, but a friend pointed out that Berserk has the Movement Label.
    [​IMG]

I figured hacking wasn't a viable ARO, as the Full Order was declared outside of the hacker's Hacking Area. However, during step 1.2 of the Order Expenditure Sequence, it mentions that if a movement is declared, you first measure then move the trooper to their final position, then check for AROs.

[​IMG]

However, we don't actually check if Berserk is a valid Order until after our opponent declares and validates their own AROs. So if I attempt to Berserk and discover that I'm actually 11" away, would I move in accordance with step 1.2, discover it's invalid in step 6, then rubber band back to where I started? Or do I declare Berserk during step 1, validate actions up to step 6, then move my trooper into base to base during step 6.1?

Basically, we're having some trouble reconciling when the movement from Berserk actually happens within an order. Additionally, is it possible for the hacker to simply declare a Hacking Attack that retroactively becomes valid as soon as the effects of Berserk are applied?

2. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

What happens is:

1. Blue Wolf activates, spends an order, declares Berzerk and the Movement is measured and the model is Moved into S2S of the Hacker (provided that it's within Range, if not then it will Idle)
    2. The Hacker declares a Hacking Program ARO
    5. You check the validity of the ARO. If the Blue Wolf moved it will be within the Hacker's Hacking Area and so the Hack will be valid.
    6. Resolve the attacks as per normal.

Basically, for ZOC AROs if the target trooper is within ZOC at Step 5 then they're valid.

3. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

See Effect 2 of Berserk - you check where the Trooper can move, and if they can't reach they Idle instead of moving. So they won't rubber-band back.

Miraclebutt likes this.
  4. Iver

Iver Human Plus

When you respond to something like that with a hacking attack, does it become a FtF roll between CC and WP or two individual rolls?

5. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

Berserk forces it to be Normal Rolls regardless.

If it was a normal CC Attack vs Hacking, then yes it would be a Face to Face Roll as both Troopers are affecting each other.

6. Iver

Iver Human Plus

Doesn't Berserk allow you to make it a FTF roll if you want to? If so, that could be a way to have the Blue Wolf avoid getting hacked. Just punch the hacker while he's playing with his tech?

7. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Nope. While the skill itself is optional, using it triggers this effect:

"Any Face to Face Roll with the target will instead be a Normal Roll. "

ijw and Iver like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation