1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asteroid Mining Station

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by Nicklz, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Nicklz

Nicklz Well-Known Member

I wanted to share my newest Terrain project:
    I wanted to give my Nomads a home and was looking for an indoor space station feel. Now, I couldn't find anything convincing and affordable offered in MDF, so I looked at 2.5D dungeon terrain people use for D&D.
    Since I don't have a Lasercutter available, I decided to make 36 equal tiles, each 20x20cm², make sure they can be mixed and matched randomly and build a full game area that way. To define the passages I decided on hot wire cut styrofoam as it is very simple to work and probably durable enough for this purpose. This also meant that rougher edges where easier to make and better looking than straightcut Spaceship lines, so I went with an asteroid mining station as theme :).

Here are the first results:
    AMS_1.jpg

AMS_4.jpg

AMS_3.jpg

Being new to styrofoam work I'll need to figure out the rest as I go along. Plan is to paint with a thick paint to cover gaps, get a few decorations on it and maybe magnetize the corners so the tiles dont move when setting up. What do you think? Will it be Morlock/Minelayer Kingdom or playable? Any suggestions on the hobby part?

Usashi, Section9, unclesrouce and 8 others like this.
  2. Pen-dragon

Pen-dragon Deva

I like the modular design. But is definitely going to favor certain weapon loadouts. It can be playable, but I think your opponent should be able to see the board before he builds a list. If both players are prepared and bring the right tools, it could have a fun boarding action themed game.

Personally I would make a few empty tiles, just so you have the option to open up some bigger spaces.

As for decorating, I would get some wire, or some small thin rope, and glue it along the walls at different places to be the 'plumbing' of the station.

Section9 likes this.
  3. Ursun

Ursun Tough as Nails, Grim as Old Boots

Reminds me of a Space Station Map I played once.
    We used D-charges and Exp Weapons blow away walls. Made for a very cinematic game, can imagine the same here.

Section9 likes this.
  4. Marduck

Marduck Well-Known Member

That looks great ! I can't wait to see more. Will you add some lights and furnitures ?

5. Nicklz

Nicklz Well-Known Member

Yes it will be definitely a board for cinematic play and not competition. Although, I tried to make sure one can build some longer corridors suitable for HMG range .

I like the idea of running cables along the wall, will see what I can find cheap there. Actual lights definitely not , maybe some acrylic mock ups . Interior will be tight, there is little room in the hallways but I want to add construction vehicles, boxes , batrels, barriers and such .

Camden Leisure Pirate likes this.
  6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

jherazob likes this.
  7. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

It's a whole gang of D&D crafters doing these tiles, the head of the bunch is DM Scotty, but there's quite a few others like Wyloch, TheDMGInfo, The Crafting Muse and who knows who else i'm forgetting right now.

8. Nicklz

Nicklz Well-Known Member

Managed to add walkways, lights ,pipes and paint :D. Enough time wasted, miniatures are piling up on my desk so this is how I'll leave it.
    Was fun to make, I hope it's playable !

IMG_20181108_232058360-511x530.jpg

IMG_20181108_232224032-511x287.jpg IMG_20181108_232159525-511x287.jpg IMG_20181108_232131318-511x287.jpg

Oni, Koin-Koin, jherazob and 4 others like this.
  9. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Very cool!

10. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

I saw something like this (modular cavern system) used for an ALIENS style game (quite a few years before prodos bought out the AvP game) - the Aliens were deep in the "hive" and could ambush from anywhere "out of contact" (non-LoF).

It's a cool modular system you have there.

Section9 and jherazob like this.
  11. Pen-dragon

Pen-dragon Deva

Nicely done!

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation