1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hemos actualizado nuestra Política de Privacidad acorde con la nueva RGPD. +Info // We've updated our Privacy Policy to comply with the GDPR. +Info
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Ya podéis usar los foros de la campaña Kurage Crisis. Está en Infinity>Juego>Eventos Online>Kurage Crisis --------------------- Kurage Crisis forums now live. Find them at Infinity>Game>Online Events>Kurage Crisis
    Dismiss Notice

Assembling Undertown buildings - help?

Discussion in 'Antenocitis Workshop' started by Varsovian, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Varsovian

Varsovian Well-Known Member

Okay, so... due to some positive circumstances, four buildings from the Undertown have been sitting on my bookshelf since last February or so. They are brand new, unassembled, I haven't done anything with them.

I have some spare time these days, as I'm on vacation, so I thought I could try assembling them. The question is, how to do it?

There used to be assembly guides for each building in the AW shop, but the links are now dead. So, what to do now? Any help?

Also, any general pointers on assembling these buildings? I mean, what kind of glue to use? Do these buildings need to be varnished in any way? And so on. I have never assembled anything like that...

EDIT: All right, I found the building-specific instructions on the AW website... They have been moved to a new location. But I still could use some general pointers?

#1 Varsovian, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  2. red raven

red raven New Member

hi, i'm a huge fan of their stuff but sometimes the instructions are not the clearest.
    i would recommend using their web site instructions as well as cross checking with the pictures on the shop page.
    you can use small bits of blutac to 'test build' but would suggest the Super Phatic glue they sell, its ace for mdf.
    not thought about varnishing mine yet, but i'd imagine when its done a simple spray varnish should do? It may be worth testing varnish on the frames and waste parts.
    Hope that helps dude

3. tdc

tdc ALEPH Fragment
    Warcor

Hey, i've made up 6 of these so far and another left to go.

• If you plan on doing any weathering/painting of these. Do that first. - You can use the protective layer as a mask - but worth checking colours on a sprue section
      • Check and double check where certain components go and which faces will be seen if painting/weathering
        • I had to paint certain sections of several buildings to match colours with the rest of it, internal walls in the stepped tenements for example
      • Dumb point, but, make sure paint is try before turning a piece over
      • Painting on frames is easier if you're careful.
    • Use Super Phatic glue - it's awesome
    • Don't rush them, they're big.
    • Use new, sharp blades to cut the pieces from the sprues
      • Don't push them out (although some might fall out)
      • Don't stab yourself in the finger with those new sharp blades
        • definitely don't stab yourself deep enough to cut the nerve
    • Varnish them (I used vallejo matt via airbrush) before adding acrylic parts
    The instructions mostly follow this anyway, but
    • Glue the connector bits on first
    • [​IMG]
    • Build from the inside out (as instructed) but use the external walls to help hold everything together whilst the glue sets -
    • Same with the external walls - glue one wall, use the rest to keep it in position
    • Leave the Doors and hinge components to the end, don't glue the bottom hinge when told nor glue the door parts together.
    • [​IMG][​IMG]
    • Instead, Dry fit the door and hinge to make sure you
      • have it the right way around (some doors only work one way and so the hinges MUST be on the right side).
      • you might find the hole is in the wrong place - this only happened on my Data trust doors
    • When you are happy with the bottom hinge, glue that in place.
    • To make the doors
      • Dry fit the 3 hinged parts together (in the above picture, just the blue middle section and the two hinges),
      • leave them in the building and put glue on the outer wooden side of the door.
      • Open the door,
      • Place the glued outer side of the door in the frame
      • Close the door
      • Test opening and closing, gently moving the outer side into the right position
      • Remove blue part of door (along with mostly cured outerside)
      • Make sure it's square
      • Now Use the outer side as a guide for where you want the inner side to be
      • Glue the hinges together

Ben Kenobi likes this.
  4. Varsovian

Thanks!

Some additional questions:

1. Why is necessary to varnish the building before adding the acrylic bits? I understand that it's needed when you're varnishing with an airbrush or a spray - but if I were to varnish using an ordinary (if precise) brush, would it harm the acrylic bits, too?

2. Should I varnish the building just on the outside, or all of the surfaces?

3. What about the photoprints etc. - I guess I shouldn't try to varnish them?

4. AW has this additional "internal resin" bits that can be added for decorative purposes - can they be added after varnishing?

5. What about stuff like graffiti transfers etc. - if I understand the instructions correctly, they should be put on before varnishing, then they can varnished along with the rest of the wall?

5. tdc

tdc ALEPH Fragment
    Warcor

1. Why is necessary to varnish the building before adding the acrylic bits? I understand that it's needed when you're varnishing with an airbrush or a spray - but if I were to varnish using an ordinary (if precise) brush, would it harm the acrylic bits, too?
    I was only thinking of when using an airbrush or can - these buildings have a lot of surface area and doing them with a small (precise) brush would take a lot longer than I could be bothered with ;)

2. Should I varnish the building just on the outside, or all of the surfaces?
    I varnished all surfaces (except underneath) paying special attention (multiple layers) to the floors and roof since that's where models will be moving/scuffing the most.

3. What about the photoprints etc. - I guess I shouldn't try to varnish them?
    Same as acrylics, leave them until the end after varnishing

4. AW has this additional "internal resin" bits that can be added for decorative purposes - can they be added after varnishing?
    Yup! Varnish them separately if you wish and glue them in later. When I was making the buildings I would make one building (including varnishing) then work on the internals and glue them in before moving to the next (well... I started that way... I think i've 2 buildings worth of internals still to do ¬_¬)

5. What about stuff like graffiti transfers etc. - if I understand the instructions correctly, they should be put on before varnishing, then they can varnished along with the rest of the wall?
    Depends. From what i remember they want to be put on a gloss varnish base anyway. What I would do (what i'm planning on doing since i've not put any graffiti on yet) is:
    • Varnish the building after building - allows you to play/glue resin etc. immediately
    • Decide where I want transfer, mask any acrylic and gloss varnish that area
    • Add transfer as per instructions
    • Add (matt) varnish on glossed area

6. Varsovian

Again, thanks!

One more question: can MDF be varnished with the same varnish I use for minis (I use Vallejo's polyurethane varnishes)? Or does it require something else?

7. tdc

tdc ALEPH Fragment
    Warcor

That's what i use :)

[​IMG]

8. red raven

red raven New Member

thanks from me as well, not got round to varnishing anything yet.

9. Varsovian

I use Vallejo's other varnish, the polyurethane one. I wonder if it would work on MDF... I'll ask around in the Scenery section :)

One another question: the buildings have these AC fans to put on the roofs. They need to be painted, I guess... How do you do this? Do they need to be primed first?

10. tdc

tdc ALEPH Fragment
    Warcor

Don't glue them before screwing them in and make sure you still a pilot hole

Other than that, treat them like internal resin

11. Varsovian

Wait, I need to *screw* them in? Like, with screws? Can't I just glue them onto the rooftop?

Regarding internal resin in general: how should I work with it, then? Should I treat it the same like minis - prime them, paint them with the same paints as I paint the troops etc.? Sorry if these are obvious questions, I'm a total newb when it comes to scenery...

12. tdc

tdc ALEPH Fragment
    Warcor

The instructions say screw... I screwed the first couple, had major issues despite pilot holes getting them tight, just glued the others.

I tend to use the magnetic signs to lift off the roofs anyway.

Regarding the resin, wash it first (you may need to send down the poured side too)

Then Yeah, treat it like minis with priming painting vanishing etc.

13. tdc

tdc ALEPH Fragment
    Warcor

And don't worry about asking questions, really happy to help!

14. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

My two cents here about varnish's use (I'm not a MDF expert, far from it).

The first layer of varnish is here to prevent MDF to absorb the acrylic paint thus avoiding it to bend, usually matt varnish is used here as it provide a surface for the paint to grip.

Gloss varnish is applied before putting any decals/transfers to help positioning as you could slide them where you want.

Then, obviously, the final varnish layer is here to protect all your work once completed. Gloss, satin or matt is chosen based on the result you want.

Nothing really new here but sometime the more obvious it is the more it deserves to be written down :blush:

15. tdc

tdc ALEPH Fragment
    Warcor

This isn't needed for antenociti terrain since it's prepainted and already has had treatment to prevent absorbtion

Antenociti and Koin-Koin like this.
  16. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

Good point.

17. Varsovian

So, you need to varnish before applying the decals? Thanks, I didn't know that!

Question: I don't have any decals at hand right now. Let's say I assemble a building, seal it with matte varnish etc. Do I need to varnish all of it again with gloss varnish, if I decide to add some decals later? Or can you put gloss only on the decal area, put the decal on, then apply another layer of matte? What do you think?

BTW. Should I varnish the photoprints at any stage, or should they be left completely uncoated?

18. tdc

tdc ALEPH Fragment
    Warcor

1. I wouldn't varnish the photo prints
    2. For decals - check the instructions for them - i think both Micro-arts and Antenocitis recommend Gloss Varnish first
      1. If you do gloss, you only need to do it where you will apply the decal, not everywhere.
      2. Apply matt after - again if the instructions say so - i think both Micro-arts and Antenocitis recommend it ;)

Antenociti and Koin-Koin like this.
  19. Varsovian

I see, thanks!

So... I have spent three hours today on glueing SOMP Pharmacy. Not yet done, most of the work is done :) It's surprisingly easy - the AW instructions are really good.

The problem I have is glue. I'm using generic PVA glue and it's messy. Unfortunately, the finished building won't look too pristine - there are glue stains everywhere...

Anyway, a question: are there too many parts in these sets? Because it seems to me that some of the MDF bits (ones clearly marked for cutting out) won't be used for anything. Strange...

Another question: when screwing on the resin AC vents, what should I use: an ordinary screwdriver? An electric drill? Should I drill holes in the resin first?

20. tdc

tdc ALEPH Fragment
    Warcor

I think that there's an additional free standing sign which isn't shown in the instructions, also you can replace the fixed sign at the front with just a trim strip instead. Otherwise, post up a picture of the left over parts and I'll try to help.

I gave up with the idea of screwing and just glued them. If you are going to try, definitely drill pilot holes and don't glue it.

You'll find superphatic glue a lot easier than pva :)

Antenociti likes this.