1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ariadna tech and lore.

Discussion in 'Ariadna' started by MATRAKA14, Jan 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. MATRAKA14

MATRAKA14 Well-Known Member

After playing Ariadna for so many years and having read the third offensive book with the awaited arrival of TAK I was left somewhat disappointed.

Reading about the major cities of tartary is somewhat interesting, but what about the tech? what about the arms race between darpa and kaztech. What about the cuting edge Cherkesska of the veteran kazaks, how are suposed to work? The ratnik just exists and is even more advanced than the blackjack? Also the railgun satellites, or the rm100, or any kind of tech inside or outside of the infinity scale.

Also what is the source and proliferance of the cheap high tech mimetism and camo in ariadna. Because in infinity if I recall correctly the default high tech armours can change color, so mimetism is not just some camo trousers, and the camouflaged state allows to walk side by side enemy troops in the middle of a city so thats not a simple ghillie suit.

With the wiki description I have imagined Ariadna mimetism to be something like this:

[​IMG]

Camouflage troops should be even less visible, In my opinión sometimes the Ariadna miniatures are dificult to relate with this kind of high tech and new books with explanations and ilustrations could help to define the faction.

Mimetism infinity wiki description:
    After intensive training, some units learn to move in such a way as to cloak their presence, hiding their intentions and becoming a harder target to lead. Combined with basic mimetic tools such as photosensitive garments, these techniques make soldiers harder to pinpoint without incurring the large expense associated with full chameleonic gear.

Camouflage infinity wiki description:
    Reconnaissance experts, through experience and training, develop a strong sense for concealment and stealth. To take advantage of their skills, these soldiers are outfitted with chameleonic gear: photo-reactive cells and adjustable, merging, environmental patterns. These technologies, weaved into their garments, body armor, and equipment — in combination with their special abilities — make for deceptive targets and ghostly figures, but fall short of absolute invisibility.

Maybe they have developed cheap industrialized antipode clothing? (i don't like that explanation but we don't have much more info to especulate)

So what do you think, should this topic be explored in upcoming books? or you want to know about other topics of the faction? or maybe you need to know all the details of the Ariadna cities and stanitsas where all the Ariadna people is really really thought but nobody knows exactly why.

#1 MATRAKA14, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  2. stevenart74

stevenart74 Well-Known Member

I think that this is a VERY IMPORTANT TOPIC and NOT only for Kazak Players, or other Sub-Faction Ariadnan Players. . .

The Technology available in Planet Dawn (barring "Magic Mithril / Adamantite / Unobtanium / Vibranium" properties of Teseum or the fact that Antipode-transmitted Cuckoo Virus ALLOWS TO DEFY THE LAWS OF PHYSICS !!!) is a touchtsone for US ALL, Players coming from the EARLY 21th Century, to compare IN THE MOST REALISTIC way possible the MORE advanced Higher Tech of the OTHER Human Sphere Faction. . .

The fact that SOMETIMES Ariadnans (ESPECIALLY the Kazak Nation, that is ALMOST 100% devoted to Weapon Developement and Military Research) have a Technology SUPERIOR to our WILDEST predictions, and sometimes have NOT EVEN Wargear that U.S.Army had in Vietnam or Soviet-Russian Soldiers had in the EARLY Afghanistant Conflict is a little mind-baffling. . .

It reeks a little of "Warhammer 40.000 Handwavium" where Imperial Guard armies have World War 1 Tech, BUT ALSO Laser Rifles and Plasma-based Artillery, but NOT ANYTHING in the middle. . .

The proposed ideas of Matraka SHOULD be the "Test Beds" of comprehension about some "Infinity Tech" grounded in Real World Physics and not "Star Wars / Star Trek" kind of "Space Magic Technology THAT JUST HAPPENS TO WORK". . .!!

. . . . .

I have the Ariadnan Manual of the Official R.P.G. of Infinity, but UNFORTUNATELY even if Modiphius patented Ruleset is efficacious and well-balanced, is ALSO very highly "Abstracted" and so is difficult to say if a GIVEN piece of Tech is working in a certain manner BECAUSE "Hard Physics" or BECAUSE "Gamemaster Deus Ex Machina Physics". . .

. . . . .

Will research thoroughly ALL the stuff that I have, but I fear that, as a previous discussion about ABSURD UNIFORMS for Female Troopers of ALL Factions then I will be rebuffed by many with their Mantra:

"Infinity is Action Anime in Space and Rule-Of-Manga-Coolness TRUMPS the Laws of R.W. Physics (and ALSO of Paramilitary Dresscode Decency !!)". . . . .!!!

Golem2God likes this.
  3. MATRAKA14

MATRAKA14 Well-Known Member

Breaking physics laws in a sci fi world is not bad, many sci fi authors do that, and also 100% realism is not mandatory, but in my opinion the clever ways to make it believable for the reader is what makes the difference. I don't want to sound too negative about it, I think it's a missed oportunity but with some clever ideas the world of infinity could be more immersive and believable. Many players don't have defined line of what can and can not be done in the world of infinity.

it takes a lot of documentation to make a good Action Anime in Space, Rule-Of-Manga-Coolness universe.

stevenart74 likes this.
  4. daszul

daszul Well-Known Member

According to the RPG Aradnan Book, they have Photoreactive Coating and Digicloaks.
    While Photoreactive Coating mimics the surrounding lights,
    Digicloaks mimic specific camo-patterns (from their digital library).
    Both are based on e-inks/digital inks.
    And despite their low-tech, their camo is very advanced,
    thanks to the "evolutionary pressure" by the antipodes.

5. LaughinGod

LaughinGod Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Yes, but Antipodes have Sensor, so in reality Ariadna would not bother with Camo as it is completely useless against Antipodes...

chromedog likes this.
  6. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Only on short range since there Sensor is based on smell.
    The camo is very usefull for Snipers or to ambush Antipodes and shoot at them from long Range with your trusty Autocanon.

MoragTong likes this.
  7. Tongfa

Tongfa ULTRA INSTINCT UKR

As a side note - that's part of why I really liked the USARF having such a heavy focus on ARM3 and flamethrowers. If one of your primary jobs was to man the wall that seperates the lands of Ariadna from the antipodes, I like to think the first thing you'd do is strap on some heavy armor and grab a massive flamethrower - camo be damned.

LaughinGod likes this.
  8. MoragTong

MoragTong Member

Exactly. That's why USARF has so many camouflage + sniper profiles. They can't afford/don't want the Antipodes to get that close...with CC 20, makes sense. At least that's what I reason in a sci-fi tabletop game, based in a world that is completely made up.

Paladin likes this.
  9. djihani

djihani Member

Superior ariadnan tech. They are the high tech group that were the first humans in space and have had prolonged contact with alien species. Their advanced tech and gear is beyond the simple hacking of the other left behind hillbilly ragtag groupings like Pano, Yu jing and Nomads.

Ariadna:
    str2_Icon_0805_Jupiter2.JPG

#9 djihani, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    MoragTong and nakar like this.
  10. holycannoli

holycannoli Dancing to Kazak Kalinka

I also can't help but feel that this is the same thing with 40k's Cameoline, and photoreactive camouflage was a convenient way to write any camouflage someone wants to paint as cannon.

Also keep in mind, with the scale and the nature of the game, army lists in infinity tend to be a plethora of special snow flakes, the elite of the elite, and all of the experimental and special toys that probably isn't in the hands of the typical infantryman.

We're playing with the uncommon stuff that Ariadna can't field in significant numbers. It's why in a LI list 1 out of every 3 guys might have a Cherkesska (I like vets). I've always seen it as we're playing out the most interesting and dramatic engagements where this special and fun stuff clashes. Same with 40k, if you look at a lot of what's in an average player's army list, and how much of said list tends to die, and how much of it's lore is written as, "RARE UNIQUE AND SPECIAL!" then I assume most of the in universe warrant officers would be in a corner crying.

Keyrott and Balewolf like this.
  11. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

The majority of the armed Forces are Grunts, Line Kazaks, Metros and Volunteres. In an ordinary Infantry Battle they would outnumber any other Soldier at least 3 to 1. But Infinity Games are no Ordinary Infantry Battles as you mentioned.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation