1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Archangeleong's Painting Log: Defiance

Discussion in 'General' started by archangeleong, Mar 21, 2021.

1. archangeleong

archangeleong Deadly Ninja Assassin

Painting project 2021 begins...
    [​IMG]

So I thought I'd share my defiance painting project in 2021. I began with cleaning and assembling everything in January at a leisurely pace (I needed a bit of a break before starting a big new project). Some of the casting was a bit rough in places, particularly on some of the Shas, but everything cleaned up OK in the end

When I did actually begin painting I started with the Villains since I was waiting for the base toppers I had ordered for the Heroes to arrive before I started them. I thought I might struggle with motivation to paint so many similar looking baddies, but it turns out that I quite enjoyed doing them after all once I had decided on a theme for them.

I had to set my mind to great determination mode and managed to get them all done in my spare time in February (Lucky the Wife didn't kill me and that it is practically impossible to get a new Xbox at the moment so no distractions were inbound). The heroes I chipped away at in March at a bit more of a leisurely pace.

#1 archangeleong, Mar 21, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    Abydog likes this.
  2. archangeleong

INFINITY DEFIANCE: Shasvastii Nox

[​IMG]

Nox
    These guys were the first I painted up. I was aiming for a colour scheme like The Covenant from the Halo video games so I chose a blueish purple as well as red violet guns as the main colours. Those gun colours are sooo nostalgic for me and I can just feel the needler in my trigger finger right now!

I did three nox as a test batch first. The other three I painted about last as I didn't want to get bored painting the same minis twice. Be nice if there were more poses or if I could be bothered converting some, but the way they were sculpted made it too hard to attempt this.

Nox Team 1
    [​IMG]

Nox Team 2
    [​IMG]

Lawson, LunarSol, Abydog and 22 others like this.
  3. archangeleong

INFINITY DEFIANCE: Shasvastii Seed Soldiers

[​IMG]
    Seed Soldiers
    These guys are quite similar looking to the Nox and I wanted to make them stand apart quite easily so I added yellow. In doing so I had settled on my secondary colour for the army as yellow complements purple quite nicely. I had to go back to my first Nox team and paint yellow over the white markings I had originally given them so that they would match. The glowing blue plugs I did with fluro blue, my first time using this kind of paint.

LunarSol, Abydog, Abrilete and 18 others like this.
  4. Croepoek

Croepoek Well-Known Member

Really cool color scheme! The combination works really well (especially the yellow contrasting pieces do a nice job).

Looking forward to the heroes! Do you want to spoiler the kind of base toppers you ordered for them? I am still not sure for my minis.

#4 Croepoek, Mar 22, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  5. archangeleong

I used micro art studio toppers. Pics will come later (once I upload and write up).

Croepoek likes this.
  6. archangeleong

INFINITY DEFIANCE: Shasvastii Caliban
    [​IMG]
    Caliban
    I'm very fond of these sculpts, especially the guy with the wrist canon. They remind me of Predator. At first I thought that their masks were mandibles and painted them as such, but when I got more familiar with Shasvastii anatomy I realised what they were and had to repaint them. These guys still win the rule of cool in my book though.

LunarSol, Abydog, Abrilete and 16 others like this.
  7. archangeleong

INFINITY DEFIANCE: Shasvastii Cadmus

[​IMG]
    Cadmus
    I rather like the jump packs on these sneaky guys. I didn't realise that they scanned you and upgraded pretty fast when I first played them, but now I respect how nasty they are. I learned first hand how difficult fluro is to paint when I did the sword guy. The trick is to paint normal colours first and then glaze fluro over the top. Doing OSL with this colour was hard too as it often dried chalky so I had to touch it up as well as use very very thin glazes. Happy that it looks nice and bright and alien.

LunarSol, Abydog, Abrilete and 19 others like this.
  8. Guardian

Guardian Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Dope models, nice job!

archangeleong likes this.
  9. archangeleong

INFINITY DEFIANCE: Shasvastii Jayth

[​IMG]
    Jayth
    These big boys were a bit of a contrast to the other mobs. I added orange to their body suits and gave them magenta lights instead of blue. One thing that confused me about Shasvastii is that it appears that their skin is covered in platelike scales. At first I thought they were wearing armour but it seems more like a skintight bodysuit most of the time. Painting the Jayth helped me understand this when I did their bare arms. I used olive green and camo green colours for the skin, but it appeared too greenish for my taste so I then glazed pale flesh over all the skin to blend it in and make it seem more lifelike.

LunarSol, Abydog, Abrilete and 14 others like this.
  10. archangeleong

INFINITY DEFIANCE: Shasvastii Taigha Creatures

[​IMG]
    Taigha Creatures
    These critters are quite kooky with their big grins, popeye arms and tiny butts. I'm a big fan. Although there were some repeat sculps I was able to twist and bend them a bit so that the poses varied a tad more. A couple have slightly twisted jaws due to my impatience when assembling them, however they look a little extra wild and slavering (at least that's how I justify my laziness!). The pale fur was nice to play around with. I painted them in two batches so I wouldn't get bored with them. The last batch was the very last mob I worked on for the main Defiance Shasvastii army.

Taigha Creatures Pit 1
    [​IMG]

Taigha Creatures Pit 2
    [​IMG]

LunarSol, Abydog, Abrilete and 13 others like this.
  11. Amon-Rukh

Amon-Rukh Member

NICE! I love the yellow accents on the seed soldiers and cadmus. You've got a great overall color scheme too! This makes me want to start painting my set too...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

RolandTHTG and archangeleong like this.
  12. archangeleong

INFINITY DEFIANCE: Shasvastii Speculo Killers
    [​IMG]
    Speculo Killers
    It was nice to work on some Shas that have vastly different silhouettes to the bulk of the army. They sure do have creepy faces. I had got used to working with fluro so I was much more confident working on the blades of these guys. I hate it when they pop their mandibles out, so creepy!

infyrana, LunarSol, Abydog and 16 others like this.
  13. The_Evergrey_One

The_Evergrey_One Well-Known Member

Absolutely mindblowingly gorgeous! Would you mind sharing the colours you used? Would love to try and make a shoddy copy of this scheme.

14. archangeleong

INFINITY DEFIANCE: Shasvastii Sheskiin
    [​IMG]
    Sheskiin
    So the Boss Lady is a bit of a badass and I wanted her to stand out. I went for stark white armour in contrast to the rank and file, as well as a mockery of Aleph since Sheskiin scanned Achilles no less! However I chose white mostly in honour of Halo 1, when you board the Covenant ship and suddenly these tough and scary white Elites arrive on scene and give you hell. Sheskiin sure does give you hell in Infinity Defiance.

Ayadan, LunarSol, Abydog and 17 others like this.
  15. archangeleong

Thanks Bud

The main colours are:

For the armour = Vallejo Game Colour: Hexed Lichen (base), Dark Blue (shade) & White/Hexed Lichen (highlight)
    For the guns = Vallejo Game Colour: Warlord Purple (base), Dark Blue (shade) & White/Warlord Purple (highlight)
    For the markings = V GC: Sun Yellow (Base) & V MC: Ice Yellow (highlight as well as undercoat)

#15 archangeleong, Apr 2, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  16. archangeleong

INFINITY DEFIANCE: The Charontids

[​IMG]
    The Charontids
    So this big bad guy is really quite different in silhouette and colour scheme to his Shasvastii allies. I used fluro orange for his skin and fluro green for the lights in order to build a colour triad with the purple armour. This boss monster clearly stands apart visually from his allies. My colour choices once again paid homage to Halo, this time to the Hunters (the big guys made up of orange worms). Ho looks so angry, or maybe he is just an aspiring thespian, "to be or not to be, arrrrrgh!"

Ayadan, LunarSol, Abydog and 15 others like this.
  17. archangeleong

INFINITY DEFIANCE: Shasvastii Gwailos

[​IMG]
    Gwailos
    This heavy armour dude was totally inspired by the Halo Zealot Elites. Ostentatious and brightly armoured this guy really stands out from the crowd! His colours are a reversed version of the rank and file, being bright yellow armour with purple markings. I was a little reticent to stray away from the main army colours at first but after I took the plunge there was no going back.

This bold colour choice made me realise that computer came designers tend to use colour to differentiate enemies for the player to quickly visually "read" what they are fighting, whereas miniature army painters choose the same colours across different units so that a player can "read" different units as a unified force. Although my colour choice here stands apart from what I'd usually do as a miniature army painter I made sure that elements such as the gun, lights and base matched the rest of the army to tie things together. I will have to stand by this choice and besides when this guy appears on the defiance board the players will know they are in for a tough fight.

Ayadan, LunarSol, Abydog and 14 others like this.
  18. archangeleong

INFINITY DEFIANCE: Victor Messer
    [​IMG]
    Victor Messer
    This guy's face is so creepy. It put me off from painting to be honest lol. Those arms were a tad tricky to do with all those hex tats/etchings. I used a Micro Art Studio base to differentiate him from the main army because he is ostensibly a character/ally for much of the game. However with a face like that who is gonna be fooled?

LunarSol, Abydog, Abrilete and 12 others like this.
  19. Croepoek

Croepoek Well-Known Member

Really lovely! Love the hexes on the arm

20. crouchingotter

crouchingotter Well-Known Member

I really love your painting style! This is such a great thread and it’s genuinely inspiring me to get mine painted.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation