1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An ode to the scenery in the box sets. Also, any chance of more game mats?

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by EccentricOwl, Jul 15, 2018.

1. EccentricOwl

EccentricOwl Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I love the little mats that come with the big boxed sets. They're really interesting and a far cry from the generic grasslands and plains and such in other wargames.

[​IMG]
    The Icestorm box was a good start. It's rare to see an indoor mission in a wargame at all, even though
    the fluff would imply there'd be plenty. I don't have this mat, but I want it.

[​IMG]

Red Veil had terrain that I was less a fan of (I found the boxes fiddly and small) but thematically amazing! The interior of a space station was the perfect place for a fight in the Human Sphere. Unfortunately, I never got a closer look at the texture - no hi-res image available or game mat!

[​IMG]

ALEPH
    is so unique! Sure, other games have the 'evil AI' or 'potentially evil AI' or 'weird posthumans' theme. I'm looking at you, Dark Age but also Dropzone Commander and also Warmachine but uh anyway never mind

...annnyway, I love ALEPH. They're one of my three main armies and they're a treat. But unfortunately, it's hard to get terrain and scenery that fits in with their theme! all those whites and blusih hues are so interesting and unique... and again, the mat is great. It depics somewhere bizarre (an ALEPH node I think?) and unique, a place that you really can't imagine without something to back it up. I can't play on a gray sufrace and imagine loads of high-tech gear and advanced nanomachines and servitor bots everywhere... no, my immersion demanded this pack. Those crates and buildings are simple and effective.

...and yet, to my disappointment, no further ALEPH-themed releases. This mat, a mat that I instantly loved for being so weird and unique, never materialized. I looked online for more, but they don't string together very well. I hoped I could find a hi-res image so I could print out one at 4x4 (or at least 3x4, and maybe add some more stuff to my own mat in Adobe) but no such luck. A pity.

[​IMG]

USAriadna Box
    is also excellent. the scenery pack is versatile and attrative, and i've seen people buy it for use in other games as well. Great texture, too. I bought the Micro art Studio manufactured mat that depicted the snowy, urban base; I love urban fights, I love snowy fights, and I figure this could work for fights on Dawn as well as Svalarheima. :)

[​IMG]

After the USAriadna box got a big mat, I was hoping we'd get one for the JSA box. Sadly, no such luck. I really like this one, though I'll say it's not quite as unique as the others. The very colorful Red Veil box is a bit more interesting, but this one does the job pretty well too... it's just not as unique. Plenty of other wargame mats out there that depict an urban / station surface. Still, this one had a lot of fun in it, and doing demos on this mat was a treat.

so, any chance we'll get more licensed mats? Especially of the awesome Red Veil or Hephaestus mats?

2. Dragonstriker

Dragonstriker That wizard came from the moon.

MAS said maybe to the Red Veil mat. I’d love Haephestus.

jherazob and EccentricOwl like this.
  3. EccentricOwl

EccentricOwl Well-Known Member
    Warcor

awesome! Same here, those are the two I'd most want to see. :)

4. zagdag

zagdag Split box orphan

If you just want more ALEPH themed terrain, it seems like the new Operation: Cold Front is likely to have ALEPH cardboard and map. People have noted that the textures used in the teasers look very much like card terrain set textues. I would say there is a chance of some company making a mat of it too, as most of the CB textures have gotten them eventually.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

xagroth and jherazob like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation