1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AI Beacon and Biotechvore

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Nemo No Name, Apr 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nemo No Name

Nemo No Name Aleph Cultural Atache

Are Netrods and Imetrons back to being immune to Biotechvore zone? They're equipment, and there is no longer clause about them being affected.

2. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

I've checked the Season 8 and 9 PDFs and can't find any clause about them being affected by the Biotechvore Plague.

3. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

4. Nemo No Name

Nemo No Name Aleph Cultural Atache

Yeah, neither can I. I think it might've been in some FAQ, or maybe even Palankas' answer. But it might be just my imperfect memory. What is important, right now they are not affected. Nice :)

5. DukeofEarl

DukeofEarl Well-Known Member

I don't recall ever seeing something that they are affected by the BT zone. Only that the Confused Deployment does factor in on them making it so you don't disperse, but go you your deployment zone on a failed roll

ijw likes this.
  6. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

That’s great, I have a BTV game coming up and I had never considered this possibility.

7. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

To my memory, the clarification that AI Beacons are equipment dropped like a tiny bombshell on the old forums at some point. This might have been around HSN3 release, however.
    Prior to that quite a few had taken it for granted tthat all units in your list were troopers.

BLOODGOD likes this.
  8. DukeofEarl

It's a huge boost that makes CA and Aleph the strongest Vanilla options IMO

9. Mahtamori

Unless one of them scatters into easy view of an 8-point baggage REM :D

10. DukeofEarl

No scattering. You are rolling Confused Deployment, not AD. It's the same reason you get to place Infiltrators still in Camo and anywhere in your deployment, not just table edges.

11. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

minor correction. from the FAQ, you lose imp/camo state only if the deployment would have required a roll. But if the deployment didn't require a roll and you fail Confused, then you keep the state.

Since netrods needs a roll to land anywhere on the table, yes, they'll lose imp/camo state if they fail it (if they had it, but they don't). For the scatter, i think you are right, by failing AD they'll need to deploy on table edge (if deploying on the edge is an effect of Confused Deployment, i didn't check and I don't remember).

12. Wyrmnax

Wyrmnax Well-Known Member

Netrods are fantastic in biotech.

Immune to the zone ( only affects troops, not equipment) and actually immune to scatter because they are rolling confused deployment instead, and as such will deploy on your zone ( inside the bt zone, but they dont care about that)

ChoTimberwolf likes this.
  13. DukeofEarl

Good catch.

No edge deployment restriction to CD though. CD failures deploy "anywhere in the deployment zone"

ChoTimberwolf and Robock like this.
  14. Mahtamori

AI Beacons are not "troopers using a special skill to deploy outside their deployment zone" -.-?

JoKeR likes this.
  15. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

they can't land with AD if they are not troopers. If they are considered troopers for the purpose of benefiting from the effects of AD then they also count as troopers for the purpose of using the AD skill.

Hecaton likes this.
  16. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

To be fair the rules (and the people making FAQ rulings) change their mind on a whim as to whether things that affect Troopers affect equipment; people like @ijw have roundly suggested that states like Targeted cannot apply to equipment, but the rules merrily show in examples that AI Beacons can be Isolated in a "no shit" kind of fashion.

So check with your TO, they may have a different opinion and it'd be hard to argue against.

JoKeR and Robock like this.
  17. Mahtamori

They can because the AI Beacon skill says they must, this doesn't mean they are troopers in scenarios when using this skill.

18. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

in the rest of the scenario, i agree they are not. But the AI Beacon doesn't say they simply must land with AD as if they were a trooper, they say they must use the AD Skill as if they were a trooper (because otherwise almost no bullets in AD will apply, so 'as if they were a trooper' is safe to assume). And Confused Deployment applies to those who uses AD.

19. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Also, being Deployable Equipment, by definition, means they must obey all the deployment rules of the scenario, which includes Confused Deployment.

ChoTimberwolf, DukeofEarl and Robock like this.
  20. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

No, I have never suggested that. I have said that equipment etc. can be in states, but any Effects that mention troopers, as read, shouldn't be applied to them*. That doesn't contradict the G: Jumper examples in any way.

*And I've pointed out the issues with this to CB, more than once.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation