1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acrylic Lasercut Hacker Holos

Discussion in 'FanArt' started by unclesrouce, Apr 16, 2018.

1. unclesrouce

unclesrouce Well-Known Member

Acrylic Lasercut Hacker Holos

I really like hackers and hacking in Infinity - so it is time to add the hacker holos to them.
    The solutions for holos out there are great but were not that what i expected for my minis.

I have been asked if I can share some information about making them.

The basic idea was to have some very thin acrylic or plastic transparent holos that are cut out.

I haven't seen some hacker holos in acrylic to buy. Tips and hints are welcome.

I started drawing a holo that is cutable by a lasercutter.

You can find attached - my first and up today unique experiment - the .svg file.
    Using this .svg file you can order some lasercuts or use it if you have some lasercutter available.

Download the .svg file for usage with a lasercutter:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ugt_ZlnQcyi0nGobFCfiuoQV8Djx8dwt/view?usp=sharing

The sheet is drawn with the vector programm "Inkscape". You can download the programm Inkscape it for free and edit the .svg file above.

In the sheet there is also one vector graved version.
    I have ordered it on a 1mm acrylic in (dark transparent) red.
    I have just found transparent or red color available for this thikness.

29ade38b50360a859b62ed2c3dae9e30.jpg abfa5b51b4a531d07c803a08650514ed.jpg

So far i'm really happy with the result.

BUT: There is room for improvement.
    - dark transparent red isn't the best color for the hacker holos - maybe someone will try with others
    - There is also a 0,5 mm white acrylic - maybe someone will try
    - Different layouts will be cool - maybe someone will try
    - Try transparent acrylilc and airbrush with fluoresenct transparent color - maybe someone will try

The costs for one sheet are about 30 - 70 EUR depending on provider, material and details.
    With one sheet you get a lot of holos - too much for just one army. It would be great if you can share the costs in your club.

Some examples of lasercut service providers - where you just upload the .svg file and order your sheet: PONOKO.com, sculpteo.com, formulor.de

"How have they held up to being used and stored? With something that small and thin, I'd be worried about the acrylic snapping: I have them now for some month and just a view games and are fine with them.": The are small BUT compact, ie. they dont break because the layout has been done cutting out the inner space with letting just a minimum of 1mm material.

"How to put them on the minis?": The Crock Man hacker has the holo glued to it - bacause it's an obvious hacker ;-) Some other have it just pinned with removeable glue (e.g. Marabu, Scotch, Noch, etc.).

Feedback and Tips are welcome. Have Fun!

#1 unclesrouce, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  2. unclesrouce

5ac71e4f46ef036583db5d4166306dc1.jpg 570cfefe944de384a75e2b442d3b0a33.jpg b0f8fc7ae345a3cbcacf5a844aeeff04.jpg b7af442dd11083044edb4bfeb30b5639.jpg 14799fca3213178ef5c00967a6977fcf.jpg ... and here some examples

3. unclesrouce

IMG_5249.JPG "storage" ;-)

4. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

Excellent job!

About the color, a few days ago i saw a video of somebody who made objective markers for 40K Mechanicus, using fuses as the base, and he painted the crystal part with a colored sharpie (for the curious, the video is here). Maybe it'd be better to get these in clear color, then paint them with sharpies? At the very least it's worth a try.

unclesrouce likes this.
  5. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Thanks for the info, I really like your take on hacker holos.

unclesrouce likes this.
  6. unclesrouce

Big hackers need big holos ;-)

[​IMG]

Bit & Kiss

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

#6 unclesrouce, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation