1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Achilles in steel phalanx

Discussion in 'ALEPH' started by Angry Clown, Aug 29, 2022.

1. Angry Clown

Angry Clown Well-Known Member

After the new fireteam rules and duo,patroclus thing disappeared for our hero looks like hard to see him in steelphalanx lists.

From my view, we need a new rule to make it more useful in phalanx. Not a game changer but for an unique taste.

Like.. if Achilles present in phalanx army, all myrmidons gain ..... something.

Like joan and wallace help to their sectorials.

Also why our only hero has got multirifle in his hand although there is no profile like this?

Methuselah likes this.
  2. anubis

anubis sarcastic exaggerator

well, atthe time the Modell was released there WAS a Load-out w/ Multi Rifle to be fair. AND a Modell without any Gun to be a standin for everything.

Same opinion here.... Achilles seems to be way more viable in vanilla Aleph due to more and cheaper options to support his advance (like most unlinkable powerhouse units throughout the factions)

Although the "feeling" of Achilles as spearhead of an Myrmidon army seems very fitting it lacks the efficiency.

If I had to give him smth to make him useful in Steel phallanx I would say Inspiring leadership as an sectorial only loadout, due to having aditional Ltn.orders or Command Tokens seems unfitting.

3. Diphoration

Diphoration Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Achilles was perfectly fine before the update in SP, he's still perfectly fine after the update. The duo was largely irrelevant.

He's still the strongest solo trooper in the game, he's stronger than a fireteam by himself and only takes 1 slot. This allows you to have an offensive fireteam and him as 2 different attack vector. Spending first turn rambo'ing with him and cleaning with the fire team on subsequent turns or vice-versa.

He really doesn't need any help to be a relevant strong choice.

Ashtaroth, Urobros and Time Bandit like this.
  4. archon

archon Well-Known Member

This is something I realy do not understand. Why CB does something like this? I understand that their is not much use for a profile with MR when poeple take SF in 89 % but hey, it wont hurt anyone when the MR profile exisit just because we have a mini with it. CB does something similar with Geckos (now two combis are one MMR) or Intruder (the combi-mini is now a forced proxy for a MMR). Wisely I chose the lim. ed. Morat-Head variant from the anniversity box ;-)

Angry Clown likes this.
  5. Rejnhard

Rejnhard Well-Known Member

Otherwise they either:
    1. increase the number of SKUs with models that people are less likely to buy.
    2. people complain that "67% of my faction loadouts are unreleased". (even if most/all of the *units* are)

Now of course it's certainly debatable. In case of Achilles, the mini usually has just CCW anyway. But overall I think that culling fringe profiles is not a bad idea. Especially since it would stop CB from putting underused profiles in starters* so someone will by them in a package deal :)

*looking at you naga sniper...

6. archon

archon Well-Known Member

Ähm - no. I don´t want them to produce new models with a less used loadout. I wan´t them to keep a profile for an already exisiting miniature. All my examples are existing minis, that are not WYSIWIG anymore due to loadout changes or deletet loadouts.

If there are units that certainly could use a clean up, than its Orcs.

And I don´t mention all the airborne HMGs that are gone or a certain infiltrating camo HI HMG from a asian faction ... that got a mini in the second beyond box.

In case of Achilles I mean this: [​IMG]

That is the actual Achilles mini and this loadout is deleted. There is and was never a spitfire Achilles with a visable spitfire.

And Naga sniper is a beautiful mini, that was not realy necessary. If they put the hacker inside, they could have one SKU less ;-)

7. yoink101

yoink101 Chandra SpecOps Complaint Department

The original came with a spitfire and multirifle to stick on his back.

8. archon

archon Well-Known Member

Realy? I never saw that but I never owned that model, so the people used the spitfire for something else I guess :sweat_smile:

Found a pic:

[​IMG]

Daniel Darko likes this.
  9. yoink101

Achilles as he stands now is phenomenal. I don't rate the Corinthian profile very highly because I don't like having a 60+ point model that loses cover. The original Achilles is phenomenal in ASS or vanilla. He hands out negative modifiers like candy. He's fast and can kill just about anything reliably. It is a good idea to bring an alternative to crack armor, but if you can sneak into CC with a TAG, Achilles can usually remove it from the table in 2-4 orders.

His only weakness is that he's hackable. Stealth mitigates it a little. So it's a good idea to pair him with Scylla, the new Ekdromos killer hacker, or a Naga to clear the way for him.

In short, while it would be awesome to add a command ability, I don't think he needs it. I think his Corinthian profile needs something to keep his frenzy in check, but I know that some players don't mind it.

Abrilete and Savnock like this.
  10. anubis

anubis sarcastic exaggerator

Same here... I like the idea of the Achilles v2, but he has so much disadventage to the original one: Not only does he lose Cover after killing someone, but he also has the cheaper version of mimetism. That means the negative MODs differ by 6, and thats a damn lot. Having 2 ARM more does nothelp a lot imho, for not beeing hit is way better than beeing hit and can tank better.
    On the plus side: He hits harder with +1 dmg and AP, starts in FD+4 and is 9 points cheaper. But if i am willing to invest 60+Points into a single not-TAG-modell, i go for the premium option.

i think having the option to duo link with an increase by a coupke points would make the v2 a more interesting option than he is at its current state

yoink101 likes this.
  11. yoink101

The Achilles+Acmon duo was an absolute dream.

Methuselah and Hannibaliafun like this.
  12. Gromuk

Gromuk Member

Sorry for necroposting but as this thread is still on the first page of the forums i guess it's still relevant ;)

I don't know when but it seems they added back a multi rifle profile !
    Might give it a try at some point, the panzerfaust makes things interesting ;)

13. archon

archon Well-Known Member

They fixed it very quickly - shortly after my post maybe.

Daniel Darko likes this.
  14. Tool81

Tool81 Active Member

I disagree with some of the previous post. I think that Achilles V1 profile need some update. Actually the skills/role he brings on the table does not justify his cost and players often/always prefer to bring others units. Achilles V1 in Steel Phalanx is used only in casual game or if (like me) players love his character. Combined have the Avatar that is a unit which purpose is to be the most expensive and very powerful (like the name suggest). Now I am not saying that Achilles V1 profile is weak, he is a 3 wounds, ARM 4 etc etc, but why does not boost him a bit in line with the myth. Now giving him Total Immunity is too much I understand, but maybe Natural Born Warrior or better Tactical Awareness or Strategos. If this means to increase a bit the cost ok no problem, but make absolutely no sense that Maximus new profile is more strong than Achilles.I mean Aleph give better equipment to a human than his posterboy?

15. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

Maximus isn't stronger than Achilles, wtf are you on

16. Amusedbymuse

Amusedbymuse Well-Known Member

Give Achilles v1 AP Spitfire for 1 point more and he is golden.

The Holy Knight likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation