1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accountability thread: Spooky painting contest

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by Randomcallsign, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Randomcallsign

Randomcallsign Well-Known Member

I've got a painting contest for a Halloween themed mini coming up for next month. In an effort to stay on task here's a thread devoted to it.
    I'm taking the rifle toting Irmandinho model and basing him on a scenic 55mm spooky base to create a Halloween them. The poor guy's head will be removed and replaced with a jack o lantern. He has a lamp moved to his raised hand to show off some OSL through the model and large base. as far as the rifle hand I want to trim it down but haven't decided to what. I could give him the knife that was originally in his raised left hand but now I'm leaning towards maybe a few segments of chains instead.
    *Feedback always welcome*
    2.jpg

2. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

Be alert, everybody! :grinning:
    [​IMG]

3. Randomcallsign

With a tournament over the weekend it's been slow going but I've got my Irmandin-ho' latern (working title) assembled and mocked up on the display base. I got a little over excited when assembling the base though and glued the it to the display ring already. Time for some careful edging to not make too much of a mess.
    3.jpg
    Base coat is on, I went with a purple undercoat on the rocks to give a very eerie feel to the whole aesthetic. Still not sure what colors for the Irnmandinho himself but I'm learning towards a deep red.
    4.jpg
    Now I've got my dark grey covering the purple for a bit more normal feel. I threw an extra pumpkin on the base to spice it up since the textures were a bit flat. My lantern should be here tonight so I'm hoping to finish his pose and figure out where the highlights need to go for the OSL.

4. Randomcallsign

Okay, what was once an Irmandinho is now a full fledged spooky Jack-O-Lantern headed creepy crawly. I settled on a color scheme and did my first round of line highlights and some dry brushing around the cutouts in the pumpkin. I've tried to keep the tones on the base somewhat muted. Once he's positioned on it the areas not in his shadow will be brightened up.
    The front of the model received a fleshtone wash to keep the colors warm. The back got a dark brown wash to intensify the shadows.
    Once this wash dries I'll go back in to tighten up the line highlights and do some more drybrush shading. I'm still trying to determine how I want to wrap the chain around him but I'm trying to hide a few rough edges on his back left shoulder from re-positioning the sword arm. 5.jpg 6.jpg

5. Randomcallsign

Welp, after some delays and unforeseen life things getting in the way the Irmandin-ho-latern is finally complete. Now to get him to the shop and entered into the painting contest.
    * I apologize for the terrible pictures. I'm in my mobile studio (toolbox of paints where ever I can) I the moment. Once I get back in my proper workshop next week I'll try to post some better lit pictures if anyone cares to see them * 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

6. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

@Randomcallsign This is coming along nicely. The base and figure mesh together well.

Randomcallsign likes this.
  7. Randomcallsign

I wanted to update this post with the final results of the local painting contest this model was entered in to.
    I'm proud to say that I took close second in the contest. (Only two votes behind our communities local commision painter no less)
    This was my first painting contest entry since getting back into the tabletop hobby a year ago and the progress made on my painting techniques in that year has been so much fun to see.
    Also, our great local warcor-in-waiting took much better pictures of the Irmandinho-lantern so I figured I'd include them here as well for your viewing pleasure. z.jpg y.jpg x.jpg

8. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

@Randomcallsign Congrats on completing the model in time for the contest. I'm happy to hear that you finished well in the final standings.

Randomcallsign likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation